PDA

View Full Version : Question about WHERE to reload.

itsturtle
03-09-11, 03:34
I hope this hasn't been addressed. Searching on a cellphone is a pain. If this is covered elsewhere a link would be nice.

I'm trying to decide on where I want to put my reloading station. We have a garage, but the temperature sucks and with 5 dogs I don't know if I want some of this stuff in there with them. My father was considering building a shed and I could use part of it, but it would be without power, light, AC/heat. I live in my parents basement (don't hate, it is free rent) and I'm wondering if it would be safe to put a bench in there. The basement is unfinished and bare concrete for now. It would be a perfect spot because it is well lit, the temperature stays decent, and I would be in range of my stereo. I know it obviously needs to be away from open flame, and I've been told away from excessive electronics, but what exactly are the "rules" for locating the reloading station? Can certain electric space heaters be used, do I need a ventilation fan, will any kind of fumes or dust work its way up through the floor boards? I noticed a lot of bench pictures on here look as if they are inside a house, or they are just really spoiled with their garage/shed.

I'm pretty certain I've got everything I need to start except location, bench, and storage. So everything is waiting until I get those taken care of.

Thanks.

JStor
03-09-11, 08:51
Sounds like the basement where you live will be the best place for you right now. Humidity might be a concern, or maybe not, depending on your location.

I would put together a compact bench and some plastic stackable storage containers, because you'll eventually be moving. You can bolt together a small bench out of 2x4s and plywood, and size it to fit your space. Or you can build a movable platform for the press and clamp to an existing table...if the table is sturdy enough. Bin racks are another way to organize and separate fired brass, prepped brass, etc. Stick peel-off labels on them, so you can tell at a glance what's in them.

I used to have a dedicated reloading room, but when the kids came I had to give it up for a bedroom. Now, I have a small space about the size of a walk-in closet for my gear and reloading operation. It is not what I want and like...but it works very well. The shelving I installed made a world of difference.

itsturtle
03-09-11, 09:03
Well, my dad is pretty handy with carpentry work. He is already jumping like a school girl about being able to build a bench with drawers and stuff. My main concern was just the humidity, having the powder near living spaces, and those kind of issues. It gets really humid in summer, but I don't think the basement gets much worse than anywere else in the house except the garage. I would love to put the bench in the corner of my room so I don't have to take up space elsewhere. Again, not sure about sleeping in the same room as your powder storage. I've never reloaded before so I don't know the level of caution needed.

rjacobs
03-09-11, 09:16
I have my reloading setup in the basement(unfinished part of the finished basement). No issues what so ever with powder and what not. The only thing I do not do in there is tumble the brass. I always tumble in the garage with the door open. I believe this is one of the only parts of the process that can and does release lead into the air. I have never worried about powder residue or anything getting into the air.

itsturtle
03-09-11, 09:26
That is a good point. I could easily keep the tumbler in the garage and just ferry brass back and forth. I just didn't want everything in the garage where the dogs hang out. They like to eat anything I own, I am sure they would chew up my tools and eat the powder.

itsturtle
03-10-11, 03:36
I did remember the other main concern I had. I am pretty sure I will put my bench in the basement somewhere but not sure yet where. I know not to have open flames near the powders and all, but how far do I need to keep it from the heater? Out heater has a pilot light, but is behind a wall with vented doors. Any other insight?

itsturtle
03-10-11, 03:45
I did remember the other main concern I had. I am pretty sure I will put my bench in the basement somewhere but not sure yet where. I know not to have open flames near the powders and all, but how far do I need to keep it from the heater? Out heater has a pilot light, but is behind a wall with vented doors. Any other insight?

PlatoCATM
03-10-11, 06:44
I think the minimum suggested distance for smoking near powder (or fuel or any other flammable substance) is 50 feet, so you could use that as a suggestion. Since the doors are vented, it may be good to use that figure. Double check with your dad, as he may not want you to put it any closer.

I'm debating about where to set my reloader up too. I think the humidity in my basement is too high in the spring especially, so it may have to go in my garage. There is a bit of water on my basement floor now due to constant rains. If I have my basement waterproofed though it will be set up down there.

itsturtle
03-10-11, 07:14
50 feet would pretty much rule out the entire basement unless you take into account that you have to walk along a wall and around a corner to get to the heater.

Problem is, during the winter, the garage is too cold. During the summer, the garage is too hot and humid. The basement would be the only thing near a consistent temperature and humidity.

rjacobs
03-10-11, 08:49
I personally wouldnt worry about it. I think my setup is within 15-20 feet of a gas hot water heater and gas HVAC setup. I think the majority of members here probably have their setup in the same boundaries. How many other millions of people have their reloading setups in their basement?

Dont leave powder in your hoppers when not in use, always put it back in the cans. Keep the cans in a locked filing cabinet or some other metal locker, but not a gun safe.

I dont think a garage is a good environment for reloading. WAY to many temperature/humidity changes throughout the year. If your basement is damp get a de-humidifier. At least the temp is more of a constant than in a garage.

SteadyUp
03-10-11, 10:36
I reload in my basement, maybe 20 feet from the furnace and hot water heater, at most.
Powder doesn't give off flammable vapor like gasoline, so it really isn't a problem having it near a heater or open flame.

As long as powder and primers are stored in their factory packaging, there really isn't that much to worry about.

PlatoCATM
03-10-11, 11:00
How does temperature variation influence the powder exactly? Is it just a pressure thing, or does it degrade the powder?

itsturtle
03-10-11, 11:12
I'm quite certain reloading with a candle next to the powder is not a smart idea. But where does it become safe? One foot away, 10 feet, 10 yards? If it "really isn't a problem having it near a heater or open flame", then why all the warnings against it?

No offense to anyone, but being the internet, it is not easy to accept someone's opinion if I don't feel confident they have the knowledge to back it up. When someone says, "Oh I've been doing that for years", I just think to myself you are the lucky bastard who got away with it, I am the one who will end up calling my parents at work explaining why I am sitting in the front yard watching their house burn down.

stifled
03-10-11, 12:30
I'm quite certain reloading with a candle next to the powder is not a smart idea. But where does it become safe? One foot away, 10 feet, 10 yards? If it "really isn't a problem having it near a heater or open flame", then why all the warnings against it?

No offense to anyone, but being the internet, it is not easy to accept someone's opinion if I don't feel confident they have the knowledge to back it up. When someone says, "Oh I've been doing that for years", I just think to myself you are the lucky bastard who got away with it, I am the one who will end up calling my parents at work explaining why I am sitting in the front yard watching their house burn down.

As long as you're comfortable with the distance without doing anything dumb you'll be fine. Probably you being worried about it means you'll be able to figure it out. The warnings and guidelines are there to cover a company's ass in case you do something stupid like smoking while you reload and get thrown across the basement.

I have a quick question, though... If you don't want advice on the Internet, why in the hell are you asking for advice on the Internet?

SteadyUp
03-10-11, 20:31
As long as you're comfortable with the distance without doing anything dumb you'll be fine. Probably you being worried about it means you'll be able to figure it out. The warnings and guidelines are there to cover a company's ass in case you do something stupid like smoking while you reload and get thrown across the basement.

I have a quick question, though... If you don't want advice on the Internet, why in the hell are you asking for advice on the Internet?

^^^What he said. Most warnings on products are there because some idiot did something with the product that they shouldn't have.

Smokeless powder does isn't going to be ignited by the pilot light of a hot water heater when the powder is sitting across the room in its canister, or in a powder measure, or in a case waiting for a bullet to be seated. Just doesn't work that way. It isn't like gasoline, where ignition could occur if enough gasoline vapor accumulated near the pilot light.

itsturtle
03-10-11, 21:49

It's not that I don't want advice, it is more that some members on here give the impression that their knowledge is enough to be trusted. I've searched a few other forums and have found maybe 15+ people who claim to smoke while reloading. Obviously their advice doesn't set my mind at ease. But some of what's been said above has helped. After reading the SAAMI and other industry websites, I'm sure the location I've chosen will be safe enough. I was just hoping other knowledgeable members would add.

Bimmer
03-12-11, 21:40
There's a lot of good advice here...

Setting up your own press without ever having reloaded will be kind of like designing a boat without ever having sailed...

Really, the best thing to do is to find somebody who already reloads and go and see him (her?) doing it.
A lot of working the press is a matter of "feel," and you can't learn it well by just reading about it.

I've been told away from excessive electronics, but what exactly are the "rules" for locating the reloading station?

This is only a concern if you're using an electronic scale, because flourescent lights or other electronics can make them inaccurate.

Can certain electric space heaters be used, do I need a ventilation fan, will any kind of fumes or dust work its way up through the floor boards?

None of this is a concern.

The only fumes are your own farts. There's no dust. My vibratory tumbler doesn't even make dust — just add a dryer sheet and use the lid.

Gunpowder isn't that dangerous/flamable/explosive. Think of it kind of like BBQ charcoal — you wouldn't want to lean a bag of it up against the furnace, but you don't lay awake at night worrying that the bag in the garage will spontaneously combust, either.

The bigger danger is primers. They're actually explosive, and if one goes, then you're likely to set off all the others in the area. Handle with care, but it still takes a hell of a hit to set one off.

itsturtle
03-13-11, 01:27
Bimmer

Thanks. I have found a corner of the basement that will be convenient for me and still keep me about 20-25 feet from the heater and stuff. It also has a window just above so I can put a fan if I want. I honestly did not know about the electronics thing. I don't have an electric scale yet and I will deal with that when I get one. I plan on keeping the tumbler in the garage for the slight issue of lead and we have other uses for it there.

So as of now, I am just waiting to build a bench and find the right storage system for everything. I wish I could find someone who reloads and check out their set up but I don't know anyone local.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Bimmer
03-13-11, 11:43
I plan on keeping the tumbler in the garage for the slight issue of lead and we have other uses for it there.

I don't think tumblers emit lead dust... I think most of the dust is from the media. You can cut the dust a LOT by putting a cut up bits of dryer sheet in with the media.

Before you buy a vibratory tumbler, you might look at the the guys using stainless steel media and rotary tumblers...

So as of now, I am just waiting to build a bench and find the right storage system for everything.

This need not be so complicated. My "reloading" bench is an old 2'x4' Craftsman workbench. I store my reloading stuff in an old TV cabinet. The whole set-up is in the garage.

I wish I could find someone who reloads and check out their set up but I don't know anyone local.

Go to a local range and ask around. Most of the guys hanging around the range reload.

davidz71
03-13-11, 21:43
I think the choice of your basement makes the most sense and use a dehumidifier if you think there might be a humidity issue. You could also keep your primers and power somewhere in the house and bring what you want to reload down to the basement. Temperature consistency with no high temps is important. Forget the shed with no electricity. A friend of mine had a shed / outbuilding brought in and after a few days of rainey weather discovered parts on several of his reloading presses were rusting. At one point in time, my wife suggested moving my equipment into the garage but I nixed that idea due to security and humidity issues. She is the same one who placed my Coleman propane stove and a few other items next to brick-o-block which promptly rusted the heck out of them. I'm still pissed over that one.

itsturtle
03-14-11, 00:10
Well, we just finished putting in the carpet in the room and still haven't finished the doors yet. So when I do get the bench built, it will most likely be 2x4 with a piece of decent plywood to keep things smooth. I just want it to look decent because it will be in a room with other furniture. I still have to measure out the layout to see how large of a bench to make. I'm guessing it will be about 3ft wide, but I want it to have shelves above also. I work nights, school in the morning, house sit in the afternoon, and sleep for about 15 minutes so I don't get much time to work on it.

As for the tumbler, I've heard of a lot of people using one for reloading, and I know there are other uses for it. So I already have one and the media for it, and dads used it a couple times already. May just have to run it a bit longer for best results, but it's no big deal.

This all just takes too much time and money. I just want to reload already.

skyugo
03-14-11, 03:11
I don't tumble my brass.
i load a crapload (well maybe not by the standards of this sight, but a crapload to most people) of 9mm. i do shoot indoors mostly, so basically i'm picking my brass up off a clean floor. my ammo is slightly ugly, but shoots fine. obviously any really ugly/corroded brass should be tumbled or discarded.

itsturtle
03-14-11, 03:34
Since I already own the tumbler, and media isn't too expensive, there is no reason not to run my brass through it. I can just turn it on, run to town for lunch, get home and be ready to start. Wouldn't it be logical to think the cleaner brass would be easier to inspect? And the cleaner brass should seat in the chamber better? I'm no pro, just seems like the cleaner everything is the better considering how dirty the rifle gets anyway.

chadbag
03-14-11, 17:31
for humidity just keep powder in original sealed containers and don't leave in the hopper when not loading.

I loaded in my basement in NH with at least 50% humidity all the time (with dehumidifier running) and never had any problems.

20 feet from the furnace is plenty. Smokeless powder does not ignite easily etc as has been mentioned here.

Just don't be dumb and you should be ok.

PlatoCATM
03-14-11, 18:32
Rust was my other concern but you put my mind at ease, chad. I put up a really cheap single stage to punch out primers on once fired brass. It's been setup for maybe six months in a damp basement and it hasn't shown any rust, so I expect the dillon to be ok.

chadbag
03-14-11, 18:56
Rust was my other concern but you put my mind at ease, chad. I put up a really cheap single stage to punch out primers on once fired brass. It's been setup for maybe six months in a damp basement and it hasn't shown any rust, so I expect the dillon to be ok.

Just keep it oiled (RAM, pivots, whereever dillon says to in the manual) and make sure there is air circulation around it.

I had a rock chucker in a corner of the same basement, not mounted and not used etc and it rusted a bunch. It did not have good air circulation and did not get oiled etc. I also had a few RL 550s in the box from Dillon (in the bag etc), unopened, that developed a small light surface rust.

But my presses I used did not rust at all as they were out in the open, with air circulation around them, and I kept them somewhat lubricated.

1_click_off
03-17-11, 08:38
As for the tumbler, I've heard of a lot of people using one for reloading, and I know there are other uses for it. So I already have one and the media for it, and dads used it a couple times already. May just have to run it a bit longer for best results, but it's no big deal.

Other uses? Be careful about other uses once you start tumbling brass. Whatever else you tumble will now be slightly contaminated with lead.
I opted for an ultrasonic cleaner.
Pros: much faster, much cleaner brass, less noise, no polish media.
Cons: drying brass, smaller amounts per cycle, doesn't polish cases.

itsturtle
03-17-11, 08:52
Other uses? Be careful about other uses once you start tumbling brass. Whatever else you tumble will now be slightly contaminated with lead.
I opted for an ultrasonic cleaner.
Pros: much faster, much cleaner brass, less noise, no polish media.
Cons: drying brass, smaller amounts per cycle, doesn't polish cases.

Shouldn't be too difficult to drain the media and wipe it down. It rarely gets used anyway, so it isn't like I will be switching between brass and whatever else I use every hour.

TRUST8383
03-28-11, 22:32
Hopefully, this will help the original poster with some ideas for building a compact bench.

Because I live in a condo, i'm pretty short on space. Also, I'm just getting into reloading, so I wanted to stay within a certain budget and save my money for reloading supplies.... So my criteria was maximize space and utilize affordable materials.

So I drew up my plans in CAD and saw that I could build everything with six 2x4's and one sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF (or plywood). The 3/4" would've been nice (but much heavier) so I opted for the 1/2" MDF which is plenty sturdy when used in this design.

The plans...

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/db24ca86.jpg

My conceptual rendering lol...

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/bf6188e7.jpg

And the (almost) finished product... I'm still waiting on my dies and reloading supplies to come in from midway and powder valley. I will have a wireless keyboard and mouse for looking up tutorials and technical how to videos and specs online via the monitor. (and then I can remove them when I need the counter space) The top is a piece of smoked plexiglass I had laying around in the garage. It's a high impact resistant material that's easy to clean and it was free, so I figured what the heck. I'm sure some details will change once I get into it, but I'm happy with the results so far?

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/Reloading/4e16a3a1.jpg

Good Luck with your project!

itsturtle
03-28-11, 22:57
Wow, that is far more detail than I planned on going through haha.

The bench design you have is very similar to what I planned, except I wasn't going to put a shelf underneath and instead put a couple 6' shelves above the bench. The plexiglass is a good idea. I was considering just putting drywall mud or something on the surface, sanding it smooth and painting it.. I only have 2 guns and don't have that much gear to store. I'm hoping to move out long before I need to expand the work area.

But I must say, very nice job with the design process and final product.

stifled
03-29-11, 11:17
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/Reloading/4e16a3a1.jpg

Really nice bench. A lot of thought obviously went into it. I like the power strip at the back (we got these at work in our new shop bays and they are so useful). I'm a big fan of the cutout for the LCD!