PDA

View Full Version : Short barrel - long rail system

Prime Directive
03-09-11, 09:46
Hello all,
I've seen pics of this setup mostly on SBRs where the barrel and attachment (brake, flash, kx3, etc) was inside the rail system. Either an inch or two inside or just barely showing the attachment outside the rail. Looks cool and all, but was wondering if it melt the rail system after firing such a long time, void any warranties, etc.

Here is an example, a 7.5" barrel in a 10" railsystem...when fired, you can see the flash inside the front of the rails.

Eric D.
03-09-11, 10:10
Who has a 7.5" barrel with a 10" rail?

The melting point of aluminum is 1200 degrees F. Since most of the heat transfer occurs through radiation and convection rather than conduction I don't think you'd have a problem.

The rails can get a little toasty but it's not going to melt.

Prime Directive
03-09-11, 10:32
Who has a 7.5" barrel with a 10" rail?

The melting point of aluminum is 1200 degrees F. Since most of the heat transfer occurs through radiation and convection rather than conduction I don't think you'd have a problem.

The rails can get a little toasty but it's not going to melt.

Saw it on youtube...Spike's tactical Music mix...they were firing .22lr in full auto on their dedicated uppers..really cool looking, just wondered if it would do any harm. Awesome music too...Linkin Park - Faint with Jay Z mixed in.

rfscheer
03-09-11, 10:46
The job of the forend is to protect your hand, not to get your fingers blown off. Maybe it's just me...

tnguntoter
03-09-11, 10:53
The job of the forend is to protect your hand, not to get your fingers blown off. Maybe it's just me...

No, that sounds right to me also.

lethal dose
03-09-11, 10:58
are you saying you saw someone running a rail that extended beyond the end of the muzzle? don't EVER run a rail that extends beyond the end of the muzzle.

Whootsinator
03-09-11, 11:26
are you saying you saw someone running a rail that extended beyond the end of the muzzle? don't EVER run a rail that extends beyond the end of the muzzle.

*Unless the gun is the permanent host of a suppressor which is long enough to exit the rail.

lethal dose
03-09-11, 11:53
*Unless the gun is the permanent host of a suppressor which is long enough to exit the rail.

*exactly :)

kwelz
03-09-11, 12:02
Mr. Smith is one of the dealers on here.

In his shop he has an SBR that he built for a customer. The rail is a TRX extreme rail that is about 3 inches longer than the barrel. It will have a threaded Suppressor on it. Hard to get much more heat buildup than that.

And by the way. It looks cool as hell.

lethal dose
03-09-11, 12:09
Mr. Smith is one of the dealers on here.

In his shop he has an SBR that he built for a customer. The rail is a TRX extreme rail that is about 3 inches longer than the barrel. It will have a threaded Suppressor on it. Hard to get much more heat buildup than that.

And by the way. It looks cool as hell.

yeah, i'll bet that looks great. last time i shot with grant, he was running a suppressed sbr with trx rail. i can't remember if the muzzle was recessed under the rail or not. looked awesome and handled great.

kwelz
03-09-11, 12:12
yeah, i'll bet that looks great. last time i shot with grant, he was running a suppressed sbr with trx rail. i can't remember if the muzzle was recessed under the rail or not. looked awesome and handled great.

Next time I am in the shop I will ask him if I can take a photo of it.

Prime Directive
03-09-11, 13:30
With a set up like that, the rails were kept pretty cool then. Will it work with same with a KX3 or Battlecomp? Waiting for pics please :D

lethal dose
03-09-11, 13:41
If it's not a suppressor, don't do it. Ported muzzle devices have lots of things exiting them in different directions that you don't want your hands coming in contact with... i.e.: hot gas.

kwelz
03-09-11, 13:41
KX3 is pretty fat. I don't think they will fit. And you don't want anything that will vent into the rail.

Prime Directive
03-09-11, 14:57
Good to know these things. Thanks. So as long as they stick out beyond the rails. Its GTG ;)

Mega
03-09-11, 15:13
Barrel exiting just beyond the rails.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0005_4/web.jpg

Barrel and the suppressor contained within the rails, but exiting beyond.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0010_5/web.jpg

Removing the suppressor would be dangerous, and not friendly to your support hand.

Prime Directive
03-09-11, 15:18
Barrel exiting just beyond the rails.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0005_4/web.jpg

Barrel and the suppressor contained within the rails, but exiting beyond.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0010_5/web.jpg

Removing the suppressor would be dangerous, and not friendly to your support hand.

Thanks Mega for the pics. What's the full setup on that upper (2nd pic)?

Mega
03-09-11, 15:37
Thanks Mega for the pics. What's the full setup on that upper (2nd pic)?

9mm suppressed SBR

CMMG stripped 9mm upper receiver
CMMG enhanced ramped 9mm bolt
TROS USA 5" 3-lug barrel
Yankee Hill Machine 9" diamond series quad rail
Magpul MBUS
Magpul AFG
Magpul Ladder rail covers
Gemtech Multimount suppressor with tri-lug mount
Aimpoint micro T-1 RDS on a LaRue QD mount
Stripped S&W M&P lower receiver
USGI trigger
KNS anti-roll pins
Magpul MIAD battle grip
Magpul CTR stock (milspec)
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
VM Hy-tech mag block (uses un-modified Uzi mags)
Viking Tactical padded sling

Pic thread...

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0011_6/web.jpg