PDA

View Full Version : early A2 .. retro or not ?

peabody
03-09-11, 10:57
just to stir up the pot... tell me ?

is the A2 retro ?

i saw a picture of an A2 with lightweight barrel, flat delta ring, and A1 pistol grip. round handguards... it looked...great.

now i want one... [BRD] ... :haha:

i think the A2 should be retro.. cause we now have the A4 .. whats your thoughts ?

peabody

jtb0311
03-09-11, 12:23
whats your thoughts ?

peabody

Ah, this was a common question on TOS until the admin created a new A2 section.

Just build what you want.

RyanB
03-09-11, 13:06
As far as I am concerned the A4 is retro too.

peabody
03-09-11, 13:45
As far as I am concerned the A4 is retro too.

really ??

me , i have no use for the kool-aid carbeans,,, cept for the colt model 605.

ZRH
03-09-11, 17:27
Diemaco's that come with sights are almost all A1 style and current production :P

I never thought retro was a good term (except 1:12 twist barrels), great thing about ARs is you can mix and match.

Col_Crocs
03-09-11, 18:25
I suppose you could consider it retro, Esp if you get it complete with an A2 lower- Notice how the reinforcements on the RE area and pivot pins are a bit more subtle than that of current lowers.
Ive always been curious about this. Was this just a Colt thing or a specific forging company's design or are current lowers infact a 3rd generation design?

armakraut
03-12-11, 16:43
http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/m16-a2-up162.html

Actual A2 uppers.

usmcvet
03-13-11, 17:21
A2'S are definitely retro.

RyanB
03-13-11, 17:45
really ??

me , i have no use for the kool-aid carbeans,,, cept for the colt model 605.

Yeah. It's obsolete.

peabody
03-13-11, 19:41
Yeah. It's obsolete.

:D:agree:yeah..they sure are...:haha:

peabody

peabody
03-13-11, 19:45
I suppose you could consider it retro, Esp if you get it complete with an A2 lower- Notice how the reinforcements on the RE area and pivot pins are a bit more subtle than that of current lowers.
Ive always been curious about this. Was this just a Colt thing or a specific forging company's design or are current lowers infact a 3rd generation design?

thats a good question.. hope somebody can answer.
peabody

RyanB
03-13-11, 22:13
:D:agree:yeah..they sure are...:haha:

peabody

I suppose they might be useful for designated marksmen but inside 200m with modern optics they have no advantages over an M4.

usmcvet
03-13-11, 22:33
The A2 has no batteries. Its less expensive and it works. No optic to fog up, crack, fall off or break. I have two flat too uppers with Aimpoints. I have a spare A1 upper with even less to break. I imagine they're lighter too.

RyanB
03-13-11, 22:40
If the optics on my flat top break, I find myself with the same degraded capability that a shooter with an iron sighted rifle started out with.

Note that I don't think the A2 is the only obsolete rifle, the A4 is as well. It's just too damn long and heavy. Especially in the butt. When I do use iron sights only I prefer A1 uppers anyway. A fighting rifle doesn't need target sights. Well, technically the A2 sights were intended for the LMG, for area fire beyond the range at which the enemy can be seen in the field without the aid of magnified optics.

BoyScout4Life
03-16-11, 20:56
I love my A2, but it's obsolute and as such it's eligable for retro status.

Hammer27
03-19-11, 20:36
A2 makes a better people beater when you run out of ammo though!

RyanB
03-19-11, 20:45
If you're out of ammo, there will be plenty of people who won't mind if you use their rifle...

kartoffel
03-19-11, 20:48
It ain't retro till it's on the C&R list. Wishful thinking, I know.

NoBody
03-20-11, 04:55
Note that I don't think the A2 is the only obsolete rifle, the A4 is as well. It's just too damn long and heavy. Especially in the butt. When I do use iron sights only I prefer A1 uppers anyway. A fighting rifle doesn't need target sights.

Seems like the longer range engagements in Afghanistan gives the A4 with an RCO a distinct advantage over the M4. But then again, Afghanistan was "obsolete" when I was there, too. ;)

Sumsky
03-21-11, 20:41
I still have my Colt A2 Gov't Carbine, only shot 300 rounds through it. The right side of the magazine well is totally flat, nothing protecting the Mag release Button from ejecting the Mag if its dropped, looks strange being so flat. Should I retire my A2 and hang it on the Wall?

Terlingueno
03-21-11, 21:19
I still have my Colt A2 Gov't Carbine, only shot 300 rounds through it. The right side of the magazine well is totally flat, nothing protecting the Mag release Button from ejecting the Mag if its dropped, looks strange being so flat. Should I retire my A2 and hang it on the Wall?

You could sell it to me...

Sumsky
03-21-11, 21:50
You could sell it to me...

I promised myself I would never sell any of my other Guns after I sold three of my Colt 45 ACP years ago. Now I dont feel like spending the cash everyone is asking for the 1911's to replace them.

Sumsky
03-21-11, 22:03
Photo of my Colt A2 Carbine. 300 rounds through her never mounted a Scope or Rail to it either. Beautiful condition, has that Green looking finish its definately not Black.

Smuckatelli
03-22-11, 10:12
Well, technically the A2 sights were intended for the LMG, for area fire beyond the range at which the enemy can be seen in the field without the aid of magnified optics.

Where did that scoop come from?

RyanB
03-22-11, 10:37
Can't remember. Black Rifle 2 probably.