PDA

View Full Version : Should barrel be perfectly centered in rail?

Pilgrim
03-09-11, 18:48
I received a middy upper with the Daniel Defense Lite 12 rail and upon inspection I notice the barrel is not centered where it exits the rail.

From the outside edge of the rail to barrel contact is .62 inches on the right side, and .70 inches on the left.

From the top rail to the barrel is .87 inches, from the bottom of the rail to barrel it is .83.

It would seem that with the rail being off to the left
(barrel off to the right) that getting a zero with iron sights would be a problem.

Manufacturer has been notified of the problem only moments ago, has already responded with an offer to take it back for inspection on their dime... that is the epitome of customer service... and this certain company should be applauded.

I know that 12" is a long way to run a rail, and it might not be perfectly centered, but I just think that an 1/8 of an inch off is too much for the Troy front sight to comfortably compensate for.

Please advise!!!

ZRH
03-09-11, 19:12
Sounds like they are taking care of it.

Perfectly is such an exacting standard. :p I would expect it to be mostly centered though. 10th of an inch at least (about 8 MOA at 100 yds depending on length).

Stickman
03-09-11, 21:09
Please advise!!!

Advise what? The issue has already been dealt with from what you've written.

Pilgrim
03-09-11, 21:35
Advise what? The issue has already been dealt with from what you've written.

Yes my personal issue is certainly in good hands...

What I'm asking advise on is it typical to have an 8 to 10 MOA difference between the bore and rail of a railed upper? If so, then I'd rather have a fixed front sight base as 24 to 30 inches off at 300 is not what I'd hoped for.

jonconsiglio
03-09-11, 21:46
I don't think that means you'd be a couple feet off at 300, it just means your sights would be dialed a little more to one side than the other. I'd still have it looked at though.

Iraqgunz
03-10-11, 04:04
This is silly. It obviously has been bothering you because you contacted the manufacturer who offered to make it right, then you wait a month and ask our opinion.

Send it in or forget about it.