PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930SPX

MH64
09-17-07, 23:09
Looks like Mossberg has added a 'Tactical' 12g autoloader to there lineup.
It resembles the FN SLP. Gas operated, 7+1, same type ghost ring front/rear sights with rail, Choate mag extension.
Doesn't use a dual piston setup like the FN and supposedly not as finicky with ammo. Self regulating gas system. Wonder how felt recoil is with this?
Have handled one locally and seems like a decent shotgun. Price around $550 or so. May have to get one and try it out.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/Mossberg930Tactical.jpg

Lumpy196
09-18-07, 01:51
Mossberg pumps are serivicable.

I have avoided Mossberg autos like the plague. They can stick as many "tactical" accessories as they want on it, I still wouldnt trust it to be reliable when it counts.

ST911
09-18-07, 10:36
Agreed. Current Mossberg semi-autos are unsat for serious purposes.

I'm curious to know if this is a tac'ed-up sporting model, or if they made other improvements. A purpose-built fighting shotgun with some features as standard would find a market and be welcome.

MH64
09-18-07, 22:47
No idea other than what little I've read about this shotgun. Not really familiar with Mossberg shotguns other than the 500/590 series which I like but prefer my 870s instead.

Was wondering about this as its an auto. Never had any experience with the 9200 though have heard that it wasn't any good.

mike240
09-21-07, 21:35
I'll let you know after Monday, I just picked up my SPX today. Been good reviews of the 930 actions over the last couple years with the field hunter models. I've never been afraid to try something new and give it a chance.

ST911
09-22-07, 09:42
Afterthoughts:

The stock looks like a standard LOP, and will be too long. I wonder if it will be available with a short/youth/bantam/tactical option, or will I have to power-up the table saw?

The mag extension dosn't appear to be supported. If this is tac'ed up commercial production, I'd worry about overall material quality, and sufficient thread engagement, to support extra weight. Especially given impact or other anomaly this shotgun might experience.

Mossberg always get's soooo close. C'mon, guys...

mike240
09-22-07, 15:34
I bought this to try based on the reports of the 930 action. It was bought for the purpose of three gun matches. Around here there are several cop only three gun matches a year. I prefer the 870 for a fighting gun and not autos....But I have had 1100 and 11-87s in the past and they never met expectations or reports. Benellis are out of my price range, need modifications etc. We'll see but as far as thread engagement, I checked and it has more than my Rems do. I shoot my guns a lot and contrary to what some want to believe...you do not always get what you pay for. there are some very good weapons out there for bargain prices. Remember 1985...Glock

mike240
09-27-07, 16:05
SPX update after trip to range. Started with 25 rounds of full power Win slugs (to break er in). Then zeroed the ghost rings with 25 rounds of Rem 'reduced recoil' slugs. followed up with 100 rounds of cheap light Federal 7 shot bird loads (typical 3 match stuff).

No stoppages so far though that is not a lot of rounds at this point.

Does come with a stock adjustment kit to raise or drop the angle of the stop. But no high enough for me (which seems to be a common issue on most rifles and shotguns I mount). So, threw on a Blackhawk shotgun cheek pad/ammo holder to raise the cheek weld a bit. Much better, though I may remove the Pic rail and have a ball end mill run down it to lower it a bit after a match in a couple weeks.

mike240
10-06-07, 21:24
Another 250 rounds (Fed birdshot) pretty much as fast as we could run it against 6 lollipop steel plates. Had to get out the nomex gloves for rol over speed reloads, that sucker like all of them get hot.

No problems to report. I really like this. Buddy was shooting it too who shoots a Benelli... he liked it abunch.

No rubber rings and shit like the Remmys. Dual gas ports. So after all that (about 350 shot and the slugs from the first day out) I finally cleaned it.

ElectricFactory
02-16-09, 11:54
This gun has now shot 200 rounds in total, all of these with only rudimetary cleaning of the gun. I've added a few basic accesories which seem to be working well ; a Surefire E2DL Defender light, Nordic Components barrel mag clamp+rail and a VLTor light mount. The mounts have thus far successfully held the light in its place without 'drifting' forward from recoil. i considered buying a Surefire tape switch for the E2DL light but am on the fence, as it's a pretty simple move forward of the left hand to engage the push button of the E2DL.
The light and mount does add a bit of weight forward but it actually serves to steady the gun, at least it does for me. The only other add on may be a red dot sight on the rear rail, perhaps the Aimpoint Micro T-1. I must say however that the Aimpoint might prove to be a superfluous addition as the 930 spx ghost rear and fiber optic front sight tower are an effective and easily picked up combination.
Opinions ?
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6413.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6416.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6397.jpg

4thPointOfContact
03-01-09, 15:41
When I looked at getting a defensive shotgun a year ago, 930 SPX's were all over the place at low prices. Six months later, after I had read a few reviews they were much less common and the prices had gone up. Wonder if it was because of the good reviews it's had?

Mine has digested just about everything from light birdshot to heavy 3-inch slugs without only one hiccup. That was with some "specialty ammunition" that a forum wanted a review on. Suffice it to say that flechettes should be left to tank and artillery shells, not shotguns.

There's a Pride-Fowler mini red-dot mounted on my M1913 rail, it coincides nicely with the fiber optic LPA front sight. The advantage of the PF is that is not only has the normal light-sensitive mode but also has a 'full power' On mode which keeps the dot at maximum brightness when desired.

Remington 870's have the same relationship between their barrels and tubes as the SPX so getting a front sling plate is easy enough. The unsupported mag tube may be a problem but should be easily solved with a clamp that fits an 870 if one is needed.

The only real drawback to the 930 that I've seen is that it has 'junk in da trunk'; the recoil spring extends quite far down the buttstock making a shorter LOP stock problematic. There is though, at least 3/4's of an inch that can be shortened, though it may require cutting the spring housing. As it's built the 930 has a .75 thick spacer between the stock nut and the stock plate. The only thing the spacer does is transmit thrust between the nut and plate so it should be easily replaced with a flat washer. I've experimented with the LOP by removing the recoil pad and the 930 is much easier to shoulder with the shorter LOP.

m24shooter
03-19-09, 22:25
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930spxwm.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930saddlemodwm.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930%20update/930saddleoblqwm.jpg

Saginaw79
04-01-09, 20:45
Had I known about these Id have bought one instead of my used M1S90 which does not like light loads at all. I really want to check one of these out!

randolph
04-03-09, 09:09
is anyone aware of any 930SPX's in stock anywhere ?

m24shooter
04-03-09, 09:20
You can check with Dick's. They seem to have the best supply of them.
GT Distributors in Austin might still have some.
I think there was some mention of some in Houston but I don't remember who it was that had them. I'll see if I can find it.

MarshallDodge
04-03-09, 09:26
is anyone aware of any 930SPX's in stock anywhere ?

There are quite a few on gunbroker but you are going to be paying nearly MSRP for one.

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 09:57
This gun has now shot 200 rounds in total, all of these with only rudimetary cleaning of the gun. I've added a few basic accesories which seem to be working well ; a Surefire E2DL Defender light, Nordic Components barrel mag clamp+rail and a VLTor light mount. The mounts have thus far successfully held the light in its place without 'drifting' forward from recoil. i considered buying a Surefire tape switch for the E2DL light but am on the fence, as it's a pretty simple move forward of the left hand to engage the push button of the E2DL.
The light and mount does add a bit of weight forward but it actually serves to steady the gun, at least it does for me. The only other add on may be a red dot sight on the rear rail, perhaps the Aimpoint Micro T-1. I must say however that the Aimpoint might prove to be a superfluous addition as the 930 spx ghost rear and fiber optic front sight tower are an effective and easily picked up combination.
Opinions ?
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6413.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6416.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6397.jpg

Who makes that pistol grip stock you've got on there?

m24shooter
04-03-09, 11:22
Choate.

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 11:38
Choate.

Thanks, it looks good.

randolph
04-03-09, 16:42
You can check with Dick's. They seem to have the best supply of them.
GT Distributors in Austin might still have some.
I think there was some mention of some in Houston but I don't remember who it was that had them. I'll see if I can find it.

Im in houston, if you figure it out, let me know. Id like to pick one up.

Im usually good about finding stuff, but not this one... :mad:

now if its collectors firearms or fountain, forget it, I cant afford those asshats :p

m24shooter
04-03-09, 18:23
I don't think it was either one of those, it was a name I didn't recognize.
I've been looking and if I find it again I'll post it.

kittyhawk
05-31-09, 11:09
I Picked up on here in the Houston Area last month($500) and it runs good. Still breaking her in, dose not like Win dove loads at all but will shoot Rem dove loads all day.
I got the SPX with the Breacher barrel and the Choates stock.
It patterns 00 Win Buck Very well and is dead on with slugs @ 25.
I have only got 200 rounds through her so far and plan on getting a Nordic +1 tube and maybe adding some 590 goast rings those are a lot less $$ than the LPA sights.

Dave

randolph
05-31-09, 17:08
bud's has the SPX in stock this week.

Saginaw79
06-08-09, 20:34
Do they make one w/o a muzzle devise and no ghosts?

DMR
06-08-09, 20:36
930 HS should do the trick, likely the best model of the 930 for most users.

Saginaw79
06-08-09, 20:38
930 HS should do the trick, likely the best model of the 930 for most users.

Looks like a winner though I dont need the bird barrel LOL.

Can one buy the extended mag to add to it? Thats all Id need

DMR
06-08-09, 21:06
Looks like a winner though I dont need the bird barrel LOL.

Can one buy the extended mag to add to it? Thats all Id need

Buy a Nordic Comp mag tube and sell the bird barrel on GB, should pay for the mag tube and some ammo.

Saginaw79
06-09-09, 09:50
I also did find the Choates Mossberg uses in their factory.

I may just try the ghosts, I read your thread at TOS and was impressed and people seem to like the sights though they are overkill IMO for buck as I seldom use slugs and my FFL can get me that model for a good price, even my friend wants one it seems!

DMR
06-09-09, 12:22
We've been seeing some recent reports of issues with QC on the choate tubes. That said Fred seems to stand behind his products so if you have an issue they should resolve it. Nordic Comp has a long history in the Three Gun Crowd and Ubl is a active three gunner. I believe he runs a 590. If I can ever finish the project we are working, I plan on adding a 930 product line to our inventory. I'll stock the Nordic's.

The custom smiths (Vang and AimPro) I've worked with are also using the HS model for their builds.

tmzphoto
06-09-09, 14:32
I bought a Nordic Components +2 tube for my 930 SPX from Chris Patty at cpwsa.com. The package was labeled correctly, but the extension nut did not fit on the shotgun. The thread size wasn't even close.

Thinking that maybe I had gotten one that was labeled incorrectly, I emailed Chris, who emailed Nordic Components almost immediately and asked them to send out a replacement. They sent it out the same day; great customer service from everybody! The replacement arrived yesterday, and wouldn't thread onto the 930 either. It was also labeled correctly, but was exactly the same as the first one.

My next step is to get the Remington 870 and a Mossberg 590 out of the safe. The extension is supposed to fit the 590, 930, and 935. If it doesn't fit the 590, then I know that I somehow got two packages that were labeled for Mossberg, but really aren't. If it fits the Remington, then I know what it is, but I don't have a Benelli or Winchester to try. If it does fit the 590, then I know that something is weird about my 930. Especially since the Choate tube that came with it fits with no problem at all.

I'll know tonight, but either way it's strange. I either got a weird shotgun, or two mislabeled extensions from two different sources.

Has anyone heard about any 930's having non-standard thread sizes?

tmzphoto
06-15-09, 18:15
[I started a separate thread about the Nordic Components question.]

For those looking for a way to attach a rear sling to a 930 SPX, the Mesa Tactical Receiver Mount Sling Loop or Hook Loop for the 500/590/835 works perfectly.

It substitutes a steel bolt for the rear trigger pin, and works just as well on the 930 as it did on my 590A1. You don't have to modify anything, and it installs in about two minutes.

http://www.mesatactical.com/images/137t.jpg http://www.mesatactical.com/images/136t.jpg

The only problem can be actually getting one. I'd suggest calling Mesa Tactical directly. Of their listed retailers, not all of them carry the part. Two of those who (supposedly) do are Smartgunner.com and Alamo Tactical, but I've had problems with both companies and would recommend avoiding them.

m24shooter
06-20-09, 10:56
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1215.jpg

I'm using a Nordic extension on this shotgun, and I believe it was labelled as being for the 590.