PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM replacing Eotech 553 with EXPS3 model?

variablebinary
03-10-11, 05:24
Has anyone seen an EXPS3 overseas. According to Eotech, at SHOT apparently, the 553 is being replaced and the EXPS3 will be the standard optic for SOCOM.

I haven't tried the EXPS line yet. Who makes the throw lever design? Is it sturdy and well made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4q0dbcANY

M4Guru
03-10-11, 05:48
At least the throw lever isn't from ARMS...

I haven't received any official word on a sight change but usually stuff just shows up without notice so that doesn't mean much.

If this is true, the fact that they selected an Eotech again lets me know Crane still has the same issues they've always had.
:rolleyes:

JSantoro
03-10-11, 10:54
Designated the SU231B/PEQ.

opmike
03-10-11, 19:34
Should be interesting to see if there are increased reports of batteries failing.

El Pistolero
03-10-11, 23:00
Are there any known issues with the XPS series? By all accounts I've read the XPS seems to fix the issues that the 55x/51x-series were known for. My buddy bought one and has thousands of rounds shot with it and is reporting no issues. If I ever buy EOTech I will buy the XPS.

Is there any more information regarding SOCOM's selection? What was the criteria for selecting the XPS over the 553? Wasn't the 553 just issued as part of the SOPMOD Block II package?

variablebinary
03-12-11, 06:47
If this is true, the fact that they selected an Eotech again lets me know Crane still has the same issues they've always had.
:rolleyes:

The obvious question being, what were the grounds for the Eotech being selected to begin with.

Rosco Benson
03-12-11, 07:27
Maybe "made in USA" was a requirement or, at least, a factor.

Rosco

M4arc
03-12-11, 07:52
I haven't tried the EXPS line yet. Who makes the throw lever design? Is it sturdy and well made?

I don't know about the whole SOCOM thing but I recently purchased an EXPS for my DD carbine and the throw lever does indeed seem to be well made. Actually the quality of the site is extremely nice, I'm impressed with it so far.

M4Guru
03-12-11, 08:58
The obvious question being, what were the grounds for the Eotech being selected to begin with.

You would have to ask the PM at Crane. I was one of the end-user participants in downselecting components for SOPMOD II. I can say for FACT Crane knew of the issues with the Eotech, Elcan, and M3X light (and all of the ARMS mounts in the suite, some of which broke during testing :eek:) and they bought that shit anyway when better options were available.

The EXPS3 is an upgrade over the 553, which was a dog from day 1. But it still has the same issues as all Eotechs...L3's Kimber/Sig/Bushmaster approach to QC and engineering in order to save cost. They might appear nicer on the outside (they all LOOK good to me...) and no doubt the mount is better but unless you bust one apart and tell me where they've improved the electronic components over any of their other sights it's still a piece of shit to me.

RogerinTPA
03-12-11, 11:32
That is pretty disappointing. You would think the folks in SOCOM or Crane would have went with the micro aimpoint T-1's for weight savings and robustness by now.

variablebinary
03-13-11, 01:50
That is pretty disappointing. You would think the folks in SOCOM or Crane would have went with the micro aimpoint T-1's for weight savings and robustness by now.

I forget where I read or heard it, but the T1 is supposed to be approved for use with sniper system X, or something.

Frens
03-13-11, 04:50
I forget where I read or heard it, but the T1 is supposed to be approved for use with sniper system X, or something.

IIRC,
aimpoint said it at the shotshow2011

cmarmaduke66
03-13-11, 05:11
I just picked up an EXPS 2-0 today, and am really impressed with the quality of the mount. It seems more than adequately solid. I would rather of had the 553 for aesthetics, but even with the reduction in cost and battery life, it seems to be a sufficient enough.

WillC
03-13-11, 09:32
Yes, because it doesn't brake on the SCAR-H, basically this is the "hardened" revision improving survivability by changing the battery to horizontal the recoil.
There is movement for other optics but because the EOTech is already program, we can just upgrade what we have and not wait 2+ years for another one to be selected.

M4Guru
03-13-11, 09:57
Crane does no-compete PIPs all the time on their programs, and nothing says they have to stay with the same brand. Insight lights taken offline for Surefires being one prime example.

Armati
03-13-11, 22:52
M4Guru, I have lived through the SOPMOD Bloc I and Bloc II fieldings.

SOPMOD Bloc II yielded the most grumblings at the unit level. By that point, everyone had an opinion what would have been better. Lot's of guys did not want to give up ACOGs with JPoints for the Elcan Specter.

If you had your choice, what components would you have chosen for the program?

WillC
03-13-11, 23:09
In this case the EOTech didn't fall into a no-compete catagory, the EXPS actually were the only ones in the block II that survived the SCAR-H testing, it was a simple change to go to the EXPS unlike the T-1... guys there love the Aimpoint and without going into details, there is a program to acquire them, but the T-1 dosn't answer the reqs for the program as currently configued.
M4, if you need the contact info for Crane guys IRT this subject, I will pass, PM me.

CGSteve
03-13-11, 23:52
I'm wading through the optics section right now but M4Guru, could either your or WillC describe the deficiencies of the 553? Was it just related to shooting? We use these on some our work rifles with ARMS mounts and although we may not have a high round count on some of them, many if not all of them see abuse when they are with us in the vehicles due to the terrain that we work in. Inside and outside of the gun racks, they see excess vibration, and hit/bump/fall onto things.

EDIT: I've found a few posts that mention a battery compartment issue when replacing batteries that could lead to the optic suddenly turning off. I haven't been exposed to the Eotechs that long (issued ACOG in military on an M16A4) so this is the first I've ever heard of this. That's bad news since I favor the Eotech's reticle over the Aimpoint style. Anything else? I don't believe the failures on our work Eotech's were because of this issue but I'll have to find out.

variablebinary
03-14-11, 02:15
In this case the EOTech didn't fall into a no-compete catagory, the EXPS actually were the only ones in the block II that survived the SCAR-H testing, it was a simple change to go to the EXPS unlike the T-1... guys there love the Aimpoint and without going into details, there is a program to acquire them, but the T-1 dosn't answer the reqs for the program as currently configued.
M4, if you need the contact info for Crane guys IRT this subject, I will pass, PM me.

That's interesting. If the EXPS was the only one that made the cut, where did that leave Aimpoint and Trijicon?

M4Guru
03-14-11, 04:28
Will,

Thanks bro, I'm all set. I'm way more familiar than I wish with Crane.

I'm guessing some minute detail like "battery compatibility" or something disqualified the T1 but I will call them up today.

El Pistolero
03-15-11, 07:06
Very interesting thread. So if I read you correctly the Aimpoint T-1 might not have been selected due to the CR2032 battery not being a common battery (not saying this is an official statement but to me it sounded like speculation so I will leave it at that). So why was the Aimpoint M4 not considered? It uses a AA battery, one of the most common and easy to find batteries available. I can see the bulk/weight of the M4 being an issue, especially on a rifle that may wear any combination of IR/visible lights/lasers and a suppressor at the same time.

opmike
03-15-11, 11:30
An Aimpoint M4 weighs about the same as an EOTech XPS/EXPS/5XX

WillC
03-15-11, 16:52
I guess I am not saying this clear enough.

-The EOTech is already a selected optic for the SOPMOD Block II.
-A new/improved EOTech was developed since the original selection. Mainly due to trying to harden accessories to survive the SCAR-H.
-The model of EOTech in the SOPMOD loadout was changed to the new one.
-No change in program, no competing/recompete etc
-Quick, simple and gets the products to the end users quickly.