PDA

View Full Version : 12.5in Midlength

Mr. Goodtimes
03-10-11, 09:50
Can this be done and maintain reliability? I dont really see why not as it would seem to be similar to a 10.5 with a carbine gas port. I'm asking as I have a spare 16in BCM midlength barrel and I'm in the process of starting to build my first SBR. If it can be done I think it would make for an incredibly sweet shooting, unique and practical rifle.

If done the setup would be
-12.5in Midlength BCM Upper
-Larue 11.0 Rail
-Surefire MB556K and Surefire Mini
-Aimpoint T1
-Troy BUIS

Lets hear what the experts say...

outrider627
03-10-11, 10:44
Somebody did this on arfcom. IIRC they had to open up the gas port. I'm looking for the thread, but I can't find it.

EDIT:

Found it: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=523294

Todd.K
03-10-11, 12:22
So you get the same minimal dwell at a lower pressure. There is less pressure at mid than carbine.

I'm pretty sure it can work, I doubt it's better than a carbine 12.5".

Mr. Goodtimes
03-10-11, 12:47
Sounds like it's not really worth the trouble. Thanks for the replies guys.

markm
03-10-11, 13:02
I'd guess you'd need a port as big as Jessica Hahn's gash! :eek:

The 14.5 is pushing it as it is.

RAM Engineer
03-10-11, 15:36
It never fails. People think "Mid-length" = "Better" regardless of the barrel length, or even whether or not the gun is direct impingement or piston.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-10-11, 19:54
It never fails. People think "Mid-length" = "Better" regardless of the barrel length, or even whether or not the gun is direct impingement or piston.

I realise that midlength isn't always better and that it's not the do all to end all. I was just wandering if there was any advantage to making it work.

I'd bet a paycheck that if BCM or Knights released a 12.5in midlength people would be all over it like a gay man with a bag of dicks.

Cagemonkey
03-10-11, 19:59
I'd guess you'd need a port as big as Jessica Hahn's gash! :eek:

The 14.5 is pushing it as it is.Thats old school. I wonder what that skank looks like now?

Heavy Metal
03-10-11, 20:11
I realise that midlength isn't always better and that it's not the do all to end all. I was just wandering if there was any advantage to making it work.

I'd bet a paycheck that if BCM or Knights released a 12.5in midlength people would be all over it like a gay man with a bag of dicks.

They did release a 12.5 middie! It just has a carbine gas system under the guards but takes middie handguards. It is a mini-dissapator.

Robb Jensen
03-10-11, 20:19
So you get the same minimal dwell at a lower pressure. There is less pressure at mid than carbine.

I'm pretty sure it can work, I doubt it's better than a carbine 12.5".

I agree I see no need for it. Midlength gas is best for 14.5"-16" guns, 18" Intermediate and for 20"-24" rifle gas. CAR gas is best for 10.3"-12.5" barrels.

Midlength on a 12.5" might be okay for a dedicated suppressed only 5.56mm NATO gun.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-11-11, 08:51
Thats a no go then. The gun will be supressed but not full time. I want it to eat everything too.

I think what I may do is go with a 12.5 and 11.0 in rail using either a Surefire K can or Mini. I have long arms and the 11in rail works nicely for me.

Ive also considered using a DD RIS II (9.5in) and using a reflex can but this strikes me as sort of a waste as it would be quieter but it would still be pretty loud where as the Mini or K can would be saving on length and weight, while still being hearing safe.

west996
04-12-11, 12:35
They did release a 12.5 middie! It just has a carbine gas system under the guards but takes middie handguards. It is a mini-dissapator.

Kino confguration