PDA

View Full Version : First build questions

Rmm242
03-10-11, 10:43
Hello all

Been lurking for a long time and finally jumping on board.

I'm starting my first AR build and this is kinda what I've planned on

Lower (not decided yet)

DD lpk or g&r lpk with ssa trigger
I'm undecided on if I want to drop that much into the trigger right away. I've never used a nice single stage trigger and I'd kinda like to try one first.

Tango down grip
Spikes t2 buffer
Vltor mod stock

Upper

Noveske n4 basic or noveske low profile upper.

What I can't decide is wether to get the basic and upgrade it as I see fit or just go ahead and get the low profile. I know it will eventually get most of the low profile upgrades.

As for sights I'm going with irons for awhile until I feel that's mastered then most likely a 1x4 luepold. I will use this for hunting later but most shots are under 100yds.

My only AR experience to date is with law enforcment issued colts. I'm not a officer I've just shot with them from time to time.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

hunter123
03-10-11, 12:47
Looks like quality parts.I would personally go with the Noveske n4 basic and down the road if you decide that you want a quadrail you can add one.

Col_Crocs
03-10-11, 18:33
Youre off to a very good start. Good parts and good frame of mind.
I agree with hunter, get the basic and upgrade as you see fit with parts that suit your preferences when the time comes. I would go basic on your trigger as well.
If i may ask, why the ST-2 over a regular H2 or even the Vltor A5?

Rmm242
03-12-11, 23:37
No reason for the ST-2 other then it was recommended to me by a friend. Is there a better option?

I also picked up a sun devil lower today with a lpk already in it for 210$ today. Seemed like a fair deal and I really like the finish on it.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Thks for the input!

Col_Crocs
03-13-11, 00:16
No experience with them but generally, with lowers, you just pick a rollmark you like and you shouldbe gtg.
I would go standard H2 over the ST2. An even better option would be the Vltor A5 buffer system.

Rmm242
04-01-11, 00:22
Well I just ordered some more parts and its almost complete once they arrive. I changed up some parts from the original list and went with BCM to save a little coin to buy extra ammo. best I could tell there was really no clear advantage to one over the other as they both seemed like very well built rifles.

Parts ordered:

BCM 16" midlength upper
Magpul MOE handguard
Magpul pmags x2 (for now)
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Magpul MBUS

Parts already assembled:

Sun Devil Lower and LPK
BCM milspec buffer tube and H buffer

I still need to grab a stock and some ammo but I think thats it. All said and done I should be in the rifle for about 900$ I prob could have found a cheaper lower but I got the sun devil local at a decent price so I grabbed it.

Any comments welcome and if I've missed anything please let me know.

Thanks
Ryan

Col_Crocs
04-01-11, 04:19
Looks solid. Id go with either a CTR or MOE for youre stock.