PDA

View Full Version : Quality Defensive Round

Crow Hunter
03-10-11, 11:48
I have read through the stickies a couple of times but I am not finding and answer to my question. It may be that I am not asking it right or my reading comprehension isn't up to spec.

My question:

What quality defensive rounds should I be looking for that will approximate the ballistic characteristics of XM193 (my practice load) but have improved terminal performance?

I would like to be able to shoot XM193 at my practice range of up to 400 yards go home, clean my rifle and put my ready mag of ???????rounds in place and be comfortable that my practice will be meaningful ballistically. (Similar POA/POI)

Does such a round exist or do I need to look at changing my practice rounds?

While barrier blind would be nice, it isn't a requirement for my usage.

If this has been answered before, it won't hurt my feelings to be directed.:no:

kartoffel
03-10-11, 12:20
What are you trying to defeat with a "defensive" round? M193 is fine for home defense as long as it's not being shot out of an SBR.

Crow Hunter
03-10-11, 12:31
"Bump in the night" defensive purposes.

Human threats at 50 yards or less but mostly skunks, possums, muskrats and coyotes out to 300-400 yards (Coyotes).

I will hopefully never have to use it for anything other than popping 4 legged varmits shooting targets out in the corn fields.

However, I like the comfort of knowing that I can hit something at 400 yards without having to remember if I am shooting my "good" ammo or my "practice" ammo.

Is this wrong thinking?

I have owned Military style rifles for years but I have only ever used FMJ ammo, recently though I have read alot about improving terminal performance and I want to make sure that I am using suitable ammo.

DocGKR
03-10-11, 15:16
Pretty much everything you need to know is here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881.