PDA

View Full Version : winchester ranger 180 grain 40 caliber

mannythegreek
03-10-11, 18:10
Hey all,

Just got a box of winchester ranger 180 grain ammo (non bonded) from a friend. I usually use federal hst and was surprised at how small the hollow point cavity was in the ranger. Any terminal ballistic information on this round from a firearm with a 4 inch barrel? I know doc recommends the heaviest weight in any caliber. Any thoughts on this particular round?

Thanks

Mannythegreek

tpd223
03-10-11, 22:03
I assume you are talking about the Ranger0T series type bullet/ammo. I'm sure there are several tests to be found, likely one around here as well.

That is a very well tested and street proven load in use by many LE agencies around the country.

DocGKR
03-11-11, 01:37
Which specific "Ranger 180 gr"? If it is an RA40T then it works well, if something else, than perhaps not so much...

mannythegreek
03-11-11, 08:21
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was referring to the RA40T. The hollow point cavity looks shallower compared to the federal hst that I typically run in 180 grain. Doc, do you prefer the HST or Ranger in this weight/caliber?

Thanks

DocGKR
03-11-11, 10:06
We've used both--they offer very similar terminal performance in both lab testing and OIS incidents.