PDA

View Full Version : Glock gen II

Guns-up.50
03-10-11, 20:22
Earlier this week i posted about a glock 17 rtf2 thank you for all the advice, but today i talked to my friend who is selling a glock 17 gen two. This gun looks unfired and he has never fired it he did buy it used. We took it apart and there is no ware on the barrel or slide. The gun still has the adjustible plastic slot fillers for sights and comes in a black tupperware dish labeled Glock. Having a light rail makes no difference either way. Should i go with the gen 2 or gen 3 rtf

Brea Brawler
03-10-11, 22:12
From my point of view it is an issue of personal preference so I will give you mine. I prefer no finger grooves so unless the ability to mount a flashlight is a concern then I would go with the gen 2. Plus like new gen 2s are harder to find these days. I like the RTF grip but I cannot stand to look at the serrations.

Tomahawk_Ghost
03-11-11, 09:00
Get it. If it doesn't have night sights go to Ameriglo.net and pick some out.

I still have a Gen 2 model 22 purchased circa 1994 that is one of my favorite carry guns. Back 10 years ago I had a grip reduction done by AZ Expert Arms. Gun looks worn but still shoots great and is boringly reliable.

JonInWA
03-11-11, 13:17
I absolutely would go with a Gen 3. Despite parts interchangability, Glock progressively makes incrimental improvements throughout the production cycle, of which a Gen 3 gun would by definition be the greater recipient of.

It's not that a Gen 2 is "bad" by any stretch of the imagination-it's just that a Gen 3 will be "better." I also tend to prefer the RTF finish (although none of my current Glocks {all Gen 3} have it), but others feel that it's too "grippy." Experiment; try both finishes and go with whatever works acceptably for you.

The finger-groove thing is a total non-issue for me personally, but there are ways to resolve it if it is an irritant for you.

Best, Jon

one
03-11-11, 15:44
I absolutely would go with a Gen 3. Despite parts interchangability, Glock progressively makes incrimental improvements throughout the production cycle, of which a Gen 3 gun would by definition be the greater recipient of.

It's not that a Gen 2 is "bad" by any stretch of the imagination-it's just that a Gen 3 will be "better."

Best, Jon

While I ran a gen 2 17, 19, and 21 for years before the 3's came out and had zero problems I would go with Jon's answer.

Ed L.
03-11-11, 19:45
I prefer the Gen 2 Glocks as I can't stand the finger grooves. ALso, the Gen 3 and later Glocks tend to bite my ring finger during recoil for some reason or other.

Not much of a contribution to the thread on my part, but I wonder how many people prefer the Gen 2s to the Gen 3s.

one
03-11-11, 22:53
Like you I hate the finger grooves on the Gen 3 19, but I ground them off and stippled the front.

dsg2003gt
03-11-11, 23:08
if you have no problem with the finger grooves get the Gen 3, its the better gun.

COVERBUSTER
03-12-11, 09:22
I think Glock hit their stride on the Gen 2's , just not a fan of the 3's . Although mt Gen1 21 is my favorite carry gun as its the one I shoot the best and has never given me any problems ,got it used 10 years ago .

But in the end a Glock is a Glock, they just plain run, if its a good deal $$ wise, get it and run it hard ,cant go wrong .

Guns-up.50
03-17-11, 13:51
thanks for the in-put, all

awm14hp
03-17-11, 16:41
I run all gen 2 GLK except my 26 and 27 I love the old style fit my hand much better without grips but thats just me.

m249saw
03-17-11, 21:30
I have a Gen 2 19 coming in Saturday, so Ill chime in then. As of now yea Gen 3, nay Gen 4 as I own/have owned both.

Now to find a 1st Gen 17:D