PDA

View Full Version : I know, I know the BUIS topic has been popular but..

prodgi
03-10-11, 20:36
Can I get a comparison of these two please.

To me they look the same. I have no reservation at all with LMT's quality but the RRA stuff leaves me wondering. That being said I like mount the RRA uses as it is missing the huge knob and uses 2 cross bolts instead of one. So the question is are they equal in quality?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/PRODGI/RRAStandalone.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/PRODGI/LMTBUIS.jpg

If it matters I need it for my new LMT/BCM build, I just don't want a piece of junk setting on top of it. Thanks

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/PRODGI/guns052.jpg

Cagemonkey
03-10-11, 20:53
As far as a rear sight assembly goes either one will work. If you prefer the features of the RRA, go for it. The rear sight assembly is a non stress part.

HeavyDuty
03-10-11, 23:38
I've had one of the RRA ones for awhile. I liked the dual low profile crossbolts; I haven't had any issues with it.

Quentin
03-11-11, 00:29
Looking at the RRA picture, it does not appear to be milspec height. Looks commercial height to me - if so I'd pass.

The LMT certainly would be the proper height or you could cut down a milspec carry handle if you want roughtly the same sight for about $40.

RyanB
03-11-11, 01:05
I don't see the advantage of target sights as a backup--I use the DD and LaRue rears.

HeavyDuty
03-11-11, 08:18
Looking at the RRA picture, it does not appear to be milspec height. Looks commercial height to me - if so I'd pass.

The LMT certainly would be the proper height or you could cut down a milspec carry handle if you want roughtly the same sight for about $40.

I'm not particularly worried about a potential 0.040" difference on an elevation adjustable rear sight...

Stickman
03-11-11, 08:34
If it matters I need it for my new LMT/BCM build, I just don't want a piece of junk setting on top of it. Thanks

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/PRODGI/guns052.jpg

Do you think the MBUS is junk, or are you just looking for a fixed sight?

Mr. Goodtimes
03-11-11, 09:31

Stick, I personally never warmed up to the idea of a plastic BUIS on a serious use gun. A lot of people use them and I dont see any complaints about them so maybe I'm the odd man out here. I had some on my rifle and never felt totally confident in them. I now run Troys.

OP, If you are looking for a fixed BUIS I would go either the Larue or DD route as I think they are less "obtrusive."

Quentin
03-11-11, 16:30
I'm not particularly worried about a potential 0.040" difference on an elevation adjustable rear sight...

True, it's more of a problem if the front sight is .04" too short, then you can run into problems of unscrewing it too much to zero or having to buy a taller post. Fortunately you can reindex many commercial height carry handles like Bushmaster, ArmaLite, DPMS, etc. or be lazy and just crank it up.

Anyway, I don't know about RRA, just ocurred to me looking at the picture. I would avoid commercial height if that were the case.

Doc Safari
03-11-11, 16:41
True, it's more of a problem if the front sight is .04" too short, then you can run into problems of unscrewing it too much to zero or having to buy a taller post. Fortunately you can reindex many commercial height carry handles like Bushmaster, ArmaLite, DPMS, etc. or be lazy and just crank it up.

I have a question about this. The front sight post should be more or less flush with the front sight base when zeroed, correct? Yet both my BCM carbines had to be unscrewed quite a few notches to zero with the removable carry handle.

If I substitute the slightly taller Bushmaster front post, should the notched base of it it be flush with the front sight base?

I know I don't have an issue with the DD 1.5 rear sight, just the carry handle sight, so I'm wondering if installing the Bushmaster sight is appropriate for use with the carry handle.

Quentin
03-11-11, 17:11
I have a question about this. The front sight post should be more or less flush with the front sight base when zeroed, correct? Yet both my BCM carbines had to be unscrewed quite a few notches to zero with the removable carry handle.

If I substitute the slightly taller Bushmaster front post, should the notched base of it it be flush with the front sight base?

I know I don't have an issue with the DD 1.5 rear sight, just the carry handle sight, so I'm wondering if installing the Bushmaster sight is appropriate for use with the carry handle.

If you're swapping between the DD then a carry handle you probably need to reindex the carry handle so it's exactly the same height as the DD rear sight. I believe a 1/16" allen wrench is what's needed then read about the Santose IBZ technique.

I agree with what you said about it being ideal to keep the front sight post flush with the shelf on the FSB.

Doc Safari
03-11-11, 17:13
If you're swapping between the DD then a carry handle you probably need to reindex the carry handle so it's exactly the same height as the DD rear sight. I believe a 1/16" allen wrench is what's needed then read about the Santose IBZ technique.

I agree with what you said about it being ideal to keep the front sight post flush with the shelf on the FSB.

Thanks for the reply but I was really asking if the Bushmaster front sight really is a "quick fix" for having to unscrew the standard sight (since I have such little confidence in anything Bushmaster makes). :haha:

Quentin
03-11-11, 17:31
Sorry, didn't understand... yes the Bushmaster taller sight post is a quick fix and only about $5.50 plus shipping. I got one for my ArmaLite which did not have the F-marked FSB and installing the BM tall post allowed me to use milspec height rear sights. The quality of the part is plenty good for the application.

Doc Safari
03-11-11, 17:44
How tough is it to remove the old sight and install the new one? Any issues with having to have three hands to restrain the plunger and spring while you get everything in and out?

prodgi
03-11-11, 17:58

Oh no, sorry they belong on a different gun. Just hadn't switched it back yet.

I am wanting a fixed sight on this gun just for the durability. Any of the con's of a fixed sight I'll just deal with. This will be my first "mil-spec" build as I am trying to upgrade from my DPMS/Bushmaster gun.

I may or may not go with an Aimpoint at a later time so really I'm looking for something that is a primary sight that can work as a BUIS, seems this design is the best for that role.

Thanks also for all the other suggestions, right now I'm reading everything I can and looking at all the options.

Can someone please fill me in on the mil-spec height? This is the first I've heard of it.

Quentin
03-11-11, 18:06
How tough is it to remove the old sight and install the new one? Any issues with having to have three hands to restrain the plunger and spring while you get everything in and out?

It's not hard but consider also ordering an A2 front sight adjustment tool from Bushmaster as they're handy to have in your range bag. You don't need it though, a couple finishing nails will do the job.

Quentin
03-11-11, 18:15
...Can someone please fill me in on the mil-spec height? This is the first I've heard of it.

The easiest way to see it is look at pictures of military carry handles. Look how low the steel sight cage is on the old A2 (integrated) CH then how much higher it is on the A4 (removeable) CH. The latter is milspec height on flat top ARs and the front sight also is taller to compensate.

But some manufacturers sell flat top receivers with the old A2 height front and rear sights, ArmaLite, DPMS, Bushmaster and others. Not sure about RRA. This is ok as long as you don't mix the two heights, if you do you may have trouble zeroing the irons, especially at 50 or 100 yards.

Almost all quality irons that go on rails are milspec height so it's wise to stick to that. Again I don't know what the RRA is, just looks a little low in the picture. And HeavyDuty actually owns one and has no issues so this whole thing may be moot for you.

prodgi
03-11-11, 20:16
I'll look into it, Thanks