PDA

View Full Version : M4 vs H1?

jeeper2269
03-10-11, 21:11
What are some pros and cons in comparison?

Weight and size are given, but I would like to hear from you guys, who have used both.

Crow Hunter
03-11-11, 07:40
I have a M4s my brother has one of the R-1 Midway specials.

I actually did a comparison a couple of weeks ago.

M4s

-Clear flip lense covers
-More head position forgiving
-Easier to turn more intuitive brightness control
-Matched perfectly with the 3x magnifier (couldn't see the housing)

R-1 (Silver H-1)
-Way lighter
-No lense covers
-Almost no difference in the size of the dot.
- With the M4 set on max and the R-1 set 1 below max had virtually identical dot size/brightness in full sunlight, so to my eyes there was one more "level" of brightness to the R-1. That made the dot bigger/brighter/more visible that the M4.

I personally preferred the M4 but I use a FTS magnifier at times. My brother actually preferred the M4 as well but he bought the R-1 to go on his Tac-sol Ruger 10/22 so weight and cost were a big consideration for him.

Personally, if I were putting it on a general purpose carbine that might use a magnifier, I would go with the M4. But, if weight were a consideration, you have 90% of the performance with only 25% of the weight/bulk going with the H-1.

austinN4
03-11-11, 08:53
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

Aimpoint web site lets you do a side by side on the specs and even highlights the differences for you. Just add the models you want to compare.

I know that is not what you asked but I thought it might be helpful to you.

jeeper2269
03-11-11, 10:58
I have a M4s my brother has one of the R-1 Midway specials.

I actually did a comparison a couple of weeks ago.

M4s

-Clear flip lense covers
-More head position forgiving
-Easier to turn more intuitive brightness control
-Matched perfectly with the 3x magnifier (couldn't see the housing)

R-1 (Silver H-1)
-Way lighter
-No lense covers
-Almost no difference in the size of the dot.
- With the M4 set on max and the R-1 set 1 below max had virtually identical dot size/brightness in full sunlight, so to my eyes there was one more "level" of brightness to the R-1. That made the dot bigger/brighter/more visible that the M4.

I personally preferred the M4 but I use a FTS magnifier at times. My brother actually preferred the M4 as well but he bought the R-1 to go on his Tac-sol Ruger 10/22 so weight and cost were a big consideration for him.

Personally, if I were putting it on a general purpose carbine that might use a magnifier, I would go with the M4. But, if weight were a consideration, you have 90% of the performance with only 25% of the weight/bulk going with the H-1.

Thanks, it will be going on an SBR, so I will probably go with the H1.

jeeper2269
03-11-11, 14:45
the comparison helped a lot. Thank you Austin..

and you were right Crow Hunter, the red dot is larger in the micro.

Just found R1's on ebay for $339 + 9.95 shipping. Might just get one and have someone airbrush it matte black