PDA

View Full Version : which gas blocks use?

cz7
03-10-11, 21:52
i am looking at the samson gas block for one of ar now...anybody used them ? any troubles with them ? or cut down a front sight assembly for gas block ? thxs

opmike
03-10-11, 22:19
I have no experience with the Samson unit, but cutting down your FSB will be the most durable setup. If you do go with a separate low profile gas block, I'd suggest having it shipped to ADCO so that they will drill and pin it in place.

If this won't be a serious/hard use carbine, then dimpling the barrel, de-greasing the screws, and Rocksetting the screws in place should be sufficient.

Iraqgunz
03-10-11, 23:42
If you have a Dremel you can cut the FSB fairly easy. You could also use a hacksaw with a good blade. Then use some emory cloth and smooth it down and refinish.

i am looking at the samson gas block for one of ar now...anybody used them ? any troubles with them ? or cut down a front sight assembly for gas block ? thxs

evolixsurf
03-11-11, 00:28
I just installed a DD 9" omega on a mid length upper tonight. I got the JD machine low pro gas block because I wasnt sure if it was going to fit over the ground down fsb. Well the rail doesnt even extend past the fsb, so you can grind them down for free or you can spend $35 and get a low pro gas block. I highly recommend the JD machine one, its super low pro and went on easily. Tightened down easily too.

FYI, to get your old gas tube out of the fsb, throw it on your stove for a few minutes. get it nice and hot and hold onto the gas tube with your hands and a rag. take a crescent wrench and tighten it up so its slightly bigger than the gas tube and just hit it off. Takes a little bit but it worked well for me....

cz7
03-11-11, 21:51
I have no experience with the Samson unit, but cutting down your FSB will be the most durable setup. If you do go with a separate low profile gas block, I'd suggest having it shipped to ADCO so that they will drill and pin it in place.

If this won't be a serious/hard use carbine, then dimpling the barrel, de-greasing the screws, and Rocksetting the screws in place should be sufficient.
this is winning way i am going now bump the other way .....thxs for help -always build for the worst case in mind ,it will come next time!!!

Kiznelly
04-07-11, 00:52
After seeing how much it is to buy and install a FSB, I would never cut it down.

Der Waffenkollektor
04-07-11, 14:23
While a pinned gas block is preferable to a set screw type, the Samson block is one of the better set screw blocks available.

It is made from stainless steel and has an extended front to cover the pin hole left by the removal of a FSB.

Like most set screw blocks, it has two screws on the bottom but, it also has two lateral screws at around the 4 and 8 o'cock position.
I have installed several by putting a dimple in the barrel for the set screw directly under the gas port.
With all four screws tightened, the block really clamps on tight.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/gas_block.jpg

strongisland
04-07-11, 22:01
Does the non-traditional set screw locations, 8 &4 position, get dimpled as well?

cz7
04-08-11, 01:27
thank you all to help on this one samson gas block is mounted and rocksetted as well to dimpled ....and she is working very well!!! thank you all again!