PDA

View Full Version : Japan Just Got Creamed By A Tsunami...

SteyrAUG
03-11-11, 01:32
Turn on any news channel.

8.9 Earthquake, Tokyo nailed pretty hard.

Footage is incredible.

Supposedly the 7th worst earthquake ever recorded.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-11-11, 01:53
You over there yet Chad-Bag?

bkb0000
03-11-11, 01:57
scenes of boats being pushed miles inland... traffic on highways getting washed over... in-****ing-credible

did you see the one with the semi truck getting washed over? can you imagine seeing that shit in your rearview mirrors for however long? man...

official death toll is at 1 right now... predictions on the number by this time tomorrow?

bkb0000
03-11-11, 02:47
they're sounding the tsunami sirens in hawaii and have started evacuation in parts

****in A... every time i look back at the TV, the alerts have been upgraded... now the pacific coast has been upgraded from a tsunami watch to an official warning, and sirens are expected to sound soon

snappy
03-11-11, 03:44
Gonna get ugly. The footage of that black wave of debris/buildings/everything getting pushed inland across Japanese soil is chilling.

snappy
03-11-11, 04:04
official death toll is at 1 right now... predictions on the number by this time tomorrow?

Right now it's officially 17 dead. This time tomorrow? 1200?

Hmac
03-11-11, 06:05
Tragic. Hard to imagine.

I'm in Hawaii right now waiting for the tsunami to hit.

M4arc
03-11-11, 06:45
Tragic. Hard to imagine.

I'm in Hawaii right now waiting for the tsunami to hit.

Get to high ground!

John_Wayne777
03-11-11, 07:23
The death toll from the last big tsunami was staggering. Hopefully we won't see a repeat.

Rmplstlskn
03-11-11, 07:58
WOW! An explosion from an oil refinery in Japan...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/ap_5_japan_tsunami_dm_110311_ssv.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-11-11, 08:05
WOW! An explosion from an oil refinery in Japan...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/ap_5_japan_tsunami_dm_110311_ssv.jpg

I saw that fire around the big 'balls' and I hoped those weren't LNG tanks.

Hmac
03-11-11, 09:03
Get to high ground!

It was pretty much a non-event here on Oahu north shore. Four impressive drawdowns in our bay (never saw those rocks before), but the return surge was negligible. Maybe a foot, if that.

snappy
03-11-11, 09:20
Thats good news. Thanks for the update. Hopefully the same will happen on our mainland W coast.

jklaughrey
03-11-11, 09:27
How did Oki, fare? Anyone know?

Cagemonkey
03-11-11, 09:38
Big concern about the condition of Japan's Nuclear Power Plants. Their was a fire at one of the plants. Loss of power and shutdown of water cooling pumps. Japan has over approx 52 N Power Plants and is the worlds 3rd largest user of nuclear power.

Cagemonkey
03-11-11, 09:42
How did Oki, fare? Anyone know?+1 on this. I hope the Oki's and our Military personnel are alright.

bkb0000
03-11-11, 09:50
first report of mainland surge just hit southern oregon.... 18"

i bet everybody all along the coast are glad they evacuated at 3am, shut down schools, and didn't go to work.. :no:

better safe than sorry, i guess. but MAN.... local news stations have been playing this up hard, and still are. "dont turn your TVs off now! the next surge will be more powerful!"

Belmont31R
03-11-11, 09:55
first report of mainland surge just hit southern oregon.... 18"

i bet everybody all along the coast are glad they evacuated at 3am, shut down schools, and didn't go to work.. :no:

better safe than sorry, i guess. but MAN.... local news stations have been playing this up hard, and still are. "dont turn your TVs off now! the next surge will be more powerful!"

Fox News has been making a big deal about it....2-6ft waves. I grew up in SoCal and thats no different than any other day. Been in 10FT+ waves time to time that just occurred on their own...:rolleyes:

Cagemonkey
03-11-11, 09:58
I could be wrong, but a surge is more than just wave height.

bkb0000
03-11-11, 10:04
I could be wrong, but a surge is more than just wave height.

indeed... a 6' wave is nothing. a 6' surge can conceivably sweep inland for miles, destroying everything in it's path, if conditions are just right. most of the US coastline can take a 6' tsunami swell without widespread destruction, but it is an official "big deal."

but now they're no longer calling for 6' surge- they're calling for actual 6' waves only. which is, as belmont said, nothing.

Cagemonkey
03-11-11, 10:07
indeed... a 6' wave is nothing. a 6' surge can conceivably sweep inland for miles, destroying everything in it's path, if conditions are just right. most of the US coastline can take a 6' tsunami swell without widespread destruction, but it is an official "big deal."

but now they're no longer calling for 6' surge- they're calling for actual 6' waves only. which is, as belmont said, nothing.Thats what I thought. Good to hear things have been downgraded.

Travis B
03-11-11, 10:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4w27IczOTk

Don't forget this country in your prayers

03-11-11, 10:14
Saw some pics online illustrating the devastation in Japan. Some sh** got fu**** up.

03-11-11, 10:17
Sh**! Towards the end you could see the wave closing in on a highway in use. Those people most likely lost their lives. That was scary.

Travis B
03-11-11, 10:22
I hope those cars made it to higher ground safely, but that thing was moving really quickly...

montanadave
03-11-11, 10:25
Anybody reading the speculation on a correlation between "supermoons" and earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other extreme geological and weather occurrences?

This was posted March 1, 2011 on AccuWeather.com's website:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astronomy/story/46417/extreme-super-full-moon-to-cause-chaos.asp

A quote from the blog linked above: "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

And now it appears the rest of the media is picking up on the storyline:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/supermoon-japan-earthquake-tsunami/story?id=13097014

I honestly don't know enough about this phenomenon to have a valid opinion one way or the other but I'm guessing we're going to hear a lot more about it over the next couple of days. And certainly not everyone is buying the "supermoon" hype.

Here's more from redOrbit's site (http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/2010278/extreme_supermoon_to_take_place_next_week/index.html?source=r_space):

NASA astronomer Dave Williams said that there is no reason to believe that anything out of the ordinary will take place next week.

"There's nothing really special about this," he told ABC News.

Although the moon will be closer than it has been in 18 or 19 years, it will only be one or two percent closer.

"It's nothing you could notice unless you made really accurate measurements," he said. "It's a few thousand miles closer, but as far as the moon's orbit is considered, that's nothing."

Williams said that the orbit of the moon changes slightly over time, so the distance between Earth and the moon also changes.

He said that on March 19, it will probably be only about half a percent closer than it is every 18 years, which is a "very, very small amount."

And though the gravitational effect on the moon causes the tides, he told ABC that there is "no scientific reason whatsoever" to expect that this supermoon will result in floods or other extreme conditions.

Zhurdan
03-11-11, 10:38
I thought I remembered seeing a documentary about spillways and walls to protect the interior from tsunami's. I'm sure it doesn't run the whole length of the island, like what is depicted here, but was this wave big enough to defeat their tsunami walls and spillways?

Skyyr
03-11-11, 10:40
I thought I remembered seeing a documentary about spillways and walls to protect the interior from tsunami's. I'm sure it doesn't run the whole length of the island, like what is depicted here, but was this wave big enough to defeat their tsunami walls and spillways?

A 15ft wall will only protect against 15ft tsunamis. If the tsunami is 16ft, then it will still come through and potentially wash out that wall. Not saying that theirs is 15ft (I'm not sure how big it is), but this wasn't small by any means.

Zhurdan
03-11-11, 10:42
Well, yeah... but from all accounts I've read so far, it was about a 13 foot wave. I can't recall how tall their walls are, or if they'd even be effective against something this massive. If I recall correctly, the walls were mainly around densely populated areas. Would google it up, but I'm at work, so no soundy sound for me.

Skyyr
03-11-11, 10:48
Well, yeah... but from all accounts I've read so far, it was about a 13 foot wave. I can't recall how tall their walls are, or if they'd even be effective against something this massive. If I recall correctly, the walls were mainly around densely populated areas. Would google it up, but I'm at work, so no soundy sound for me.

It's being reported as 23ft by some sources now.

Rmplstlskn
03-11-11, 10:54
Just saw some of the BBC live feed.... All I can say is WOW!

Huge buildings just pushed down or lifted off their foundations... Large ships tossed around like toy boats in a kid's bathtub...
Highways with vehicles (people) on them wiped clean...

I suspect the death toll on this is going to be HUGE... Let alone the damage costs in the billions, if not TRILLIONS...

Wow...

Rmpl

chadbag
03-11-11, 11:11
You over there yet Chad-Bag?

No. We are headed that way in September. Flying in to Tokyo and taking the train to the Osaka area (southwest of Tokyo 3 hours by supertrain).

My wife came in this morning to tell me about this disaster and she has been reading online Japanese newspapers and sites all morning.

She is a bit worried of course, and especially so as her sister is due to move to Yokohama this month (Yokohama is in the SW corner of Tokyo Bay).

All I can say is "wow".

At least it tells you something about Japan versus other countries like China etc. If China were Japan, half the buildings would have fallen down. The fact that the tsunami is the worst offender in this disaster tells you something about how they build there. (According to one report, Japan has an earthquake every 5 minutes on average, [most probably not felt except by recording equipment], and has 20% of the worlds earthquakes every year).

Looking at some of the pictures and stuff online it looks like Godzilla, Gamera, and all their cousins have been on the rampage today. Fires everywhere, rubble and destroyed buildings, etc.

chadbag
03-11-11, 11:17
News reports said some areas had 4 meter surges, some 7 meter, and some 10 meter (about 33 feet) along the Japan coast.

Rmplstlskn
03-11-11, 11:18
The BBC is reporting that the Tokyo Electric Power Company is reporting that at the plant where a fire is raging the pressure within the NUCLEAR REACTOR is building and there is a threat of rupture and possible radiation release...

Shite!

Rmpl

500grains
03-11-11, 11:25
If China were Japan, half the buildings would have fallen down.

I would say that is a low estimate.

chadbag
03-11-11, 11:38
from ZDNet:

WARNING! Stay away from beaches. Bloggers, this means you, too!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/warning-stay-away-from-beaches-bloggers-this-means-you-too/10149?tag=nl.e539

M4Fundi
03-11-11, 11:57
Just got a loooooong email from a friend who was in a highrise during the beginning of the quake. Quite a story.
I'l be praying for my buddy and all the Japanese today.

God Bless Them

M4Fundi
03-11-11, 12:02
Here is an email from my buddy in Japan

Dear all,

Writing to ya'll from the still shaking hotel room...

I flew into Tokyo last Sunday and spent the first 4 days of the week in the quaint (read, boring) countryside of the historic area of Nara for training. This morning, I woke up to a gorgeous view of snow-capped Mt. Fuji from my hotel room in Tokyo metro and went for a jog in this rich part of residential area. What a way to start one's TGIF!

I spent the whole day on the 24th floor of the office building in a meeting room by the window, with a nice view of the high rise architectures and mountains. Then vibrations under my feet started. My Japanese coworkers immediately said, earthquake! What! What? I had never personally experienced so I have no idea. But the thing got stronger and kept coming. I got up and staggered toward the window. I could see the two cranes far away making funny moves. Then black smoke came out from another corner of the city. People started gathering in right outside the building. OK, it is for real now...

You read about how quake comes and goes, but this one just wouldn't stop. A few times I was also unable to walk. The PA system started telling us first that elevators were being stopped by safety reasons and then train services were being stopped as well. None of these sank in for me and my meeting went on. Not until I got out of meeting was I told the monster was rated at 8.9 and tsunami was wrecking all the havoc. Understandably, people in the office were having hard time concentrating on work (it was TGIF anyway). I tried to call some friends to no avail, either by cell phone or desk phone, nothing got through because the mobile network was overwhelmed. Ironically I was able to call my family and inform them I am OK.

Time to go but many could not go home easily. Many people commute long distances to work but now with train services suspended, they are out of luck. Say what you want about Japan's sophisticated mass transit system, this massive quake revealed the glaring shortcoming of the lopsided system. Most people are transported by trains with the rest of own cars, bikes, and buses (usually on very short distances). A stoppage of trains strands most of the people. As a result, many people were either crashing out at friends' places or hotels or preparing to spend the night in the office (TGIF anyone?). Many went out to buy supplies and then labored back up to the high floors.

My co-worker offered to wak with me back to my hotel, which is about 15 minutes away. Wow! I thought I was back to the pedestrian only Nanjing Road in Shanghai during the National Day weekend! So many people were on the streets walking (to their homes or equivalent), police officers were maintaining the order, cars were bumper to bumper, going ever so slowly. There were also many waiting for taxi patiently with the odd of winning a lottery jackpot. I was then flabbergasted to find that my hotel was jammed with people sitting on the floor or standing there. some with white bedding sheets around them. Has it become a refuge shelter? That sounds scary. Truth was the hotel shut down all the elevators AND the stairways until whenever it deems safe to reopen.

Unable to get back to my room, we went to fight the crowd to look for place to eat. What a tall task! Majority of the restaurants are closed. There were long lines waiting for those remained open. Long lines were also outside every convenience stores. Another type of long lines were people waiting to call their family and friends using the paid phone since cell phones were overwhelmed. I was telling myself, what an irony! You got all the people on the streets, needing to eat before they can walk HOURS to their homes, then restaurants were closed for whatever reason. On the streets, people moving around, like those you saw in sci-fi horror doomsday movies, more than a few sporting the standard issue emergency evacuation backpack with all the essentials they needed for survival. They all walked with white hardshell helmets.

We walked away from the more "populated" area and found one last open table in a Chinese restaurant. I heard that the next table were speaking Chinese, so I struck a conversation with them. They appeared to be some love birds who were rather happy to take the opportunity to have passionate night...I love their glass half full attitude!

I walked back to hotel and climbed the stairs to my room. Closet doors were open, stuff fell out. There were white stuff on the floor and desk, apparently fallen from the wall. The Japanese TV was showing all of the dramatic footages of tsunami advancing inland and pulling down homes, cars, boats, etc. What a day!

I am grateful that I survived the strongest earthquake in the recorded history of Japan and I feel lucky to witness first hand the emergency response system, whether efficient or otherwise. I tip my hat to Japanese people who remain calm and orderly and send my condolence to the unlucky ones.

I hope I can still see a stupendous snow-capped Mt. Fuji tomorrow morning, because it is there, even though my room is still shaking at this very moment...

Have a great weekend and enjoy the beautiful life!

Luke

SteyrAUG
03-11-11, 12:33

Hard to say. The Japanese are probably better prepared for this kind of thing than anyone else. Plus they have an efficient and organized country. But this one was pretty big.

mattjmcd
03-11-11, 13:05
not good. first the En Zedders get hit, now the Janapese. :(

VooDoo6Actual
03-11-11, 13:12
http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse

Thomas M-4
03-11-11, 13:35
Fox is now reporting 1000+

The tsunami footage is amazing :eek:

chadbag
03-11-11, 13:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyVJVLuUMMI&feature=player_embedded

chadbag
03-11-11, 13:48
dedicated employees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9QNzGY0qxw

SteyrAUG
03-11-11, 14:10
Anybody reading the speculation on a correlation between "supermoons" and earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other extreme geological and weather occurrences?

This was posted March 1, 2011 on AccuWeather.com's website:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astronomy/story/46417/extreme-super-full-moon-to-cause-chaos.asp

A quote from the blog linked above: "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

And now it appears the rest of the media is picking up on the storyline:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/supermoon-japan-earthquake-tsunami/story?id=13097014

I honestly don't know enough about this phenomenon to have a valid opinion one way or the other but I'm guessing we're going to hear a lot more about it over the next couple of days. And certainly not everyone is buying the "supermoon" hype.

Here's more from redOrbit's site (http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/2010278/extreme_supermoon_to_take_place_next_week/index.html?source=r_space):

NASA astronomer Dave Williams said that there is no reason to believe that anything out of the ordinary will take place next week.

"There's nothing really special about this," he told ABC News.

Although the moon will be closer than it has been in 18 or 19 years, it will only be one or two percent closer.

"It's nothing you could notice unless you made really accurate measurements," he said. "It's a few thousand miles closer, but as far as the moon's orbit is considered, that's nothing."

Williams said that the orbit of the moon changes slightly over time, so the distance between Earth and the moon also changes.

He said that on March 19, it will probably be only about half a percent closer than it is every 18 years, which is a "very, very small amount."

And though the gravitational effect on the moon causes the tides, he told ABC that there is "no scientific reason whatsoever" to expect that this supermoon will result in floods or other extreme conditions.

Astrologists are not scientists.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/11/no-the-supermoon-didnt-cause-the-japanese-earthquake/

vicious_cb
03-11-11, 14:27
Hard to say. The Japanese are probably better prepared for this kind of thing than anyone else. Plus they have an efficient and organized country. But this one was pretty big.

That and they don't have people looting everything after a major disaster. :rolleyes:

500grains
03-11-11, 15:07
Japanese people do not riot. If it were Chicago, LA, etc., the section 8 housing residents would have leveled anything left standing.

BrianS
03-11-11, 15:34
I took an Oceanography class last year and found out in it that the tsunami evacuation signs on the Oregon coast lead to safety areas that are definetely not of high enough elevation to be out of the zone that would be impacted by a major tsunami. Some of them are even in "cul de sac" type areas where you would have to go closer to the water to get out, thus transforming them into death traps.

This is your government at work.

I think Japan is one of the most organized countries when it comes to tsunamis. They have a history of being hit with them (hence the word being Japanese) and have done a ton of research and construction for seawalls in areas that repeatedly get hit.

bkb0000
03-11-11, 15:42
I took an Oceanography class last year and found out in it that the tsunami evacuation signs on the Oregon coast lead to safety areas that are definetely not of high enough elevation to be out of the zone that would be impacted by a major tsunami. Some of them are even in "cul de sac" type areas where you would have to go closer to the water to get out, thus transforming them into death traps.

This is your government at work.

I think Japan is one of the most organized countries when it comes to tsunamis. They have a history of being hit with them (hence the word being Japanese) and have done a ton of research and construction for seawalls in areas that repeatedly get hit.

they weren't planning for a subduction-zone tsunami.. just these more common weak transpacific tsunamis. hell- i don't think we even really knew there WAS a potential giant tsunami maker off our coast till the early 90s. when was the frisco quake? '91 or '92? nobody ever talked about this stuff till then..

but that's 20 years to improve... and they have not. i guess they figure if we get a 20+ surge, everyone's gonna die anyway.

do you happen to know the origins of the current plans?

jaydoc1
03-11-11, 15:45
That damn George Bush! Even out of office he can cause natural disasters.

mr_smiles
03-11-11, 15:46
Amazing photos on boston.com (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html)

bkb0000
03-11-11, 15:59
my wife just reminded me of one of the greatest lines of the whole affair...

"you can't swing a dead cat in japan without hitting a natural disaster. they're as prepared as they can be for these things." - as of yet, unknown

BrianS
03-11-11, 16:00
...do you happen to know the origins of the current plans?

I do not, but I do know that, like you said, they were not planning for a major tsunami when they put up the evac routes and marked the "safe" areas. Most of them are much too low if the big one hits. Unfortunately with the Juan De Fuca plate sitting right off the WA/OR coast they ought to have been planning for the big one in the opinion of many experts. My whole clan gets together for big family vacations down on the Oregon coast so I filed this information away as important and last time I was down even went through the trouble of making my own route up to the highest ground in the area.

Travis B
03-11-11, 16:52
Is Japan a riotous country? I wonder if they will have post-Katrina-like rioting...

montanadave
03-11-11, 17:16
Astrologists are not scientists.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/11/no-the-supermoon-didnt-cause-the-japanese-earthquake/

A rather comprehensive refutation of the "supermoon" notion. Thanks for the link.

chadbag
03-11-11, 17:35
Is Japan a riotous country? I wonder if they will have post-Katrina-like rioting...

no and probably not

Travis B
03-11-11, 19:00
no and probably not

Well that should definitely help the clean up efforts. Anyone want to guess how much we'll send their way?

SkiDevil
03-11-11, 20:38
from ZDNet:

WARNING! Stay away from beaches. Bloggers, this means you, too!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/warning-stay-away-from-beaches-bloggers-this-means-you-too/10149?tag=nl.e539

Another article about a man from CA swept out to sea by the surf as a result of the Japan earthquake/ tsunami.

It looks like four from Oregon had the same thing happen too.

Maybe it is not a bad idea to stay away from the beach BKBOOO.:eek:

SkiDevil

P.S. I have spent a lot of time in the Pacific ocean. The lesson I learned early on is never fail to respect nature and the ocean is un****ing predictable.

SteyrAUG
03-11-11, 20:57
That and they don't have people looting everything after a major disaster. :rolleyes:

There were reports that during the Earthquake, in areas where there was still power, motorists were still observing traffic lights.

bkb0000
03-11-11, 21:05
the japanese are a very obedient people.

---

they were calling for the highest swell in brookings, and so far it looks to be the only place that sustained bad damage, at least in oregon. crescent city CA didn't do well either.

one death reported, a man found on a boat, but they're actually not sure the tsunami killed him.

brookings harbor:

http://media.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/photo/9375186-large.jpg

snappy
03-12-11, 03:56

Fox News just put estimates at @ 1300 dead. Bets are off if nuclear plants keep blowing up...

variablebinary
03-12-11, 04:48

Katrina showed all of us what to expect in the USA if there is a massive natural disaster.

As was said, if there was one nation you had to pick to be most capable of handling this level of devastation, it would be Japan.

Though, now with this nuclear plant situation, a bad situation just got vastly worse.

If there ever was a nation that the USA should want to help, it should be Japan, not shit hole sewers like Haiti.

11B101ABN
03-12-11, 05:32
Well that should definitely help the clean up efforts. Anyone want to guess how much we'll send their way?

Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

chadbag
03-13-11, 01:12
This is interesting. Aerial or satellite before/after photos in Japan

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-202_162-10007035.html?tag=page

SteyrAUG
03-13-11, 01:48
This is interesting. Aerial or satellite before/after photos in Japan

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-202_162-10007035.html?tag=page

Unreal. I can't imagine being there.

chadbag
03-13-11, 12:10
more before and after shots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12726589

Belmont31R
03-13-11, 12:45
Katrina showed all of us what to expect in the USA if there is a massive natural disaster.

As was said, if there was one nation you had to pick to be most capable of handling this level of devastation, it would be Japan.

Though, now with this nuclear plant situation, a bad situation just got vastly worse.

If there ever was a nation that the USA should want to help, it should be Japan, not shit hole sewers like Haiti.

Katrina hit a huge welfare enclave. People in other areas of the US fare much better, and react much differently.

SteyrAUG
03-13-11, 17:59
Current (projected) estimates are more than 10,000 dead.

Unreal. I can't believe the news is actually covering any other events (besides maybe Libya). Katrina (and even Haiti) got almost round the clock coverage for weeks. Except for of course the "OMG crazy nukes meltdown" angle.

ETA: Those estimates are projected estimates, not current count.

SteyrAUG
03-13-11, 18:02
delete

Rmplstlskn
03-14-11, 20:40
Some the most amazing photos I have seen yet of the damage in Japan...

The video at the bottom is from someone in the airport as the tsunami went through... You can hear all the Japanese people as they watch their city destroyed...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366093/Japan-faces-2nd-earthquake-tsunami-2-000-bodies-wash-ashore.html

ForTehNguyen
03-14-11, 22:39
jesus if 2000 bodies alone washed up on shore, theres no telling how many maybe found on land buried under all that debris

another scary thing is a lot of farmland was destroyed too. That salt water came in ripped up that top soil and dumped a buncha crap sediment and debris on it, its probably ruined

bkb0000
03-14-11, 22:59
jesus if 2000 bodies alone washed up on shore, theres no telling how many maybe found on land buried under all that debris

another scary thing is a lot of farmland was destroyed too. That salt water came in ripped up that top soil and dumped a buncha crap sediment and debris on it, its probably ruined

17,000 still missing

and i dont know how many people are watching the fukushima plant thread, but one of the reactors is officially leaking radioactive material into the atmosphere, and there's a 20km evacuation in effect, and they're warning people to stay inside and not turn on any ventilation out to 30km

SkiDevil
03-15-11, 21:54
Some the most amazing photos I have seen yet of the damage in Japan...

Those are pretty unreal photos.

When I first saw this whole thing start live with the initial news footage Thursday night and the news reporters were giving estimates of around 1,000 people dead. I immediately knew they had to be wrong.

I agree with what the Chief of Police in the article says in the link provided to the photos. After everything is finished, the final casualty count is going to be in the tens of thousands, if not more. Some of those photos look like the aftermath of a bombing.

This is truly a great tragedy.

Some survivors have been found. Hopefully, more will turn-up with the greater number of international rescue crews starting to arrive.

One good note to hear is that there are reports the amount of money being raised to assist Japan and the survivors will rival any recent disaster in history.

I think like many others, it is somewhat fascinating to see some of this on tv and on the web but like many things in life; the extent of the damage cannot truly be appreciated unless you are there.

Living in California and having been through earthquake first responder training, when our turn comes in the U.S. it is going to be devastating. I think at least here, especially in the LA area things are going to be pretty ugly. The condition and age of many of the buildings will result in a large amount of structural failures/ damage.

As some others have said, be as prepared as you can and plan on having no assistance from local or state authorities for several days if not longer (having enough food and water for 2 weeks and a generator is not a bad idea either).

I am personally dreading our turn, but it is coming and training and preparing for it may alleviate some of the damage.

Prayers and well wishes to those in Japan.

SkiDevil

P.S. If anyone cares to do so, they are reporting what is most needed in regards to donations is cash/ money.

chadbag
03-21-11, 07:36
Amazing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJN3Z1ryck&feature=player_detailpage

Watch the water level rise (certain stores with colorful canopies or facades show up over and over).

Abraxas
03-21-11, 07:41
Incredible footage.

Rmplstlskn
03-21-11, 09:21
Amazing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJN3Z1ryck&feature=player_detailpage

Watch the water level rise (certain stores with colorful canopies or facades show up over and over).

I wonder if this Japan tsunami will wake up people living along the coastlines in hurricane-prone areas?

As one who lived in eastern South Florida almost my whole life, through more hurricanes than I can remember, I was always amazed at the NON-ISSUE people took to storm surges. It was a widespread assumption that water would never crest over the barrier islands, let alone the mainland... Katrina was dismissed since it was due to a levee breach, not storm surge...

Rmpl

Mark71
03-24-11, 13:53
Japanese road repaired 6 days after the tsunami.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369307/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Road-repaired-SIX-days-destroyed.html

It took my town over 2 weeks to complete basic pot hole repairs :rolleyes: