PDA

View Full Version : Can a green laser be seen on paper at 100 yards?

VaniB
03-11-11, 16:13
Here's an off the wall question for you;

I bought a red laser at the Home Depot. I can see the red dot on a white paper target at 100 yards if the paper target is in the shadows, or if it's very overcast outside. But it cannot be seen in bright day light.

Before I go buying a green laser to experiment with.....does anybody know if a green laser can be seen on a white paper target at 100 yards in broad daylight? (ie; they say the green laser is much stronger/brighter)

I'm using a 9X scope to try and see it at the 100 yard distance, but a red laser dot just plum doesn't show in bright daylight.....scope or no scope.

jvencius
03-11-11, 16:26
It depends on how powerful the laser is--w/o that, it's impossible to say which would be more visible.

VaniB
03-11-11, 17:01
It depends on how powerful the laser is--w/o that, it's impossible to say which would be more visible.

Well, why don't you or somebody else who happens to have a little green cheapy $9.00 Ebay laser pointer, bring it out into the daylight and try it out for me....and then report back what you find. Then there will be no speculation. :p

(Just kidding with you. But seriously, somebody out there who has one would know.)

Spiffums
03-11-11, 17:28
I'm going to go out on a WAG and say yes. Since you can see the RED you should be able to see the green under the same conditions. My reasoning is that GREEN is more easily seen to the human eye.

ZRH
03-11-11, 18:28
Agree with above. That's why Fire Trucks and stuff are chartreuse in some places.

RAM Engineer
03-13-11, 21:54
I'll let you know as soon as my DBAL-I2 gets here...

JSantoro
03-14-11, 00:16
You'll like what you see once you get it. 100m is no problem with the vis green on that thing. The green we're talking about is in the 532nm wavelength range (usually with +/- 20nm of slop), which is smack dab in the middle of the human visible spectrum and is the color that the human eye is most transparent to.

Take an equal intensity (i.e., power output) red and green laser, print them on a surface at a given range, the vast majority of the human population will state that the green appears brighter, though it actually is not any different. The wavelength (color) is simply easier for us to pick up.

As an aside, if you're getting the Class I rated model DBAL-I2 that's available for open sale, 100m and maybe a bit more is about what you'll get in terms of usable dot on the IR side, but that's the price one pays to get an IR-capable laser system without having to jump through all the hoops to get a Class IIIB rates system that pushes to 600m.

montrala
03-14-11, 08:02
Before I go buying a green laser to experiment with.....does anybody know if a green laser can be seen on a white paper target at 100 yards in broad daylight? (ie; they say the green laser is much stronger/brighter)

In direct sunlight I can not see my C5L on 100m, but with some overcast it is visible if I concentrate on it (we speak naked eye and pistol, not scoped rifle). Lot depend on surface. White target is OK but black one makes more contrast. When using reflective surface (like road sign) it is visible even in bright sunlight.

Anyway my biased feeling is that green laser is in fact definitely more visible and more ease to pick up in daylight than red one at any practical distance.

MeanRider
03-14-11, 08:11
The green we're talking about is in the 532nm wavelength range (usually with +/- 20nm of slop), which is smack dab in the middle of the human visible spectrum and is the color that the human eye is most transparent to.

Green is better. If you look at the majority of military lasers you will see that they are using green. i.e The Z-bolt, GBDIIIC, so forth, and yes I have been able to see a green laser at a hundred meters on target in daylight.

VaniB
03-15-11, 23:36
In case anybody cares to know;

I wasn't necessarilly asking about lasers that are mounted on guns. I am a target shooter and want to be able to use a laser to help me plot the course of wind-flags out to 100 yards. I can do this by attaching a laser pointer (or a gun laser for that matter) to a common 9X scope.

After doing some reseach and reading the opinion of those who have actual field experience with various military lasers I have determined that the standard strength 5mw is what is commonly used in most devices from novelty laser pointers to the gun lasers in your Glock. The 5mw strength laser is the threshold for which the human eye can absorb a laser without suffering serious injury.

AGAIN; I'm talking about being able to see a laser on a bright daylight target at 100 yards. (....NOT 50-75 yards or a shaded target.)

50mw lasers are the minimum for what will work at this distance. If you look hard enough you cand find 50mw laser pointers selling for as low as $20 at specialty distributors. They are dangerous that they can cause permanent eye injury and are sold with all kinds of disclaimers and warnings!

I will not be using such a device.

RAM Engineer
03-23-11, 20:57
DBAL-I2 arrived yesterday. 100 yds is no problem on vis/high under overcast conditions. I'll conduct a more detailed study as soon as I kick this virus and can get out to the range. I plan on trying different colored targets under varying light conditions and cloud cover. Lacking scientific instruments to perform the test, I'll be using the same methodology used for visibility studies by the .mil: Poll a bunch of observers.

Bimmer
03-24-11, 21:30
I wasn't necessarilly asking about lasers that are mounted on guns. I am a target shooter and want to be able to use a laser to help me plot the course of wind-flags out to 100 yards....

If you look hard enough you cand find 50mw laser pointers selling for as low as $20 at specialty distributors.

I want a good laser pointer for a similar purpose — I want to use one to position my chronograph between my shooting position and my target.

If I leave the laser at my shooting position, aimed at the target, and then put the chronograph in the path of the laser (or slightly below it!), then I should be aligned.

Two questions:

1. Can anybody recommend a decent cheap green laser? Ideally it would have an on-off switch (not just a pressure switch), so that I don't have to rubber band the button.

I'm looking to spend $20 or less... what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/532nm-Astronomy-Green-Laser-Pointer/dp/B000Y3N41U/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I26CF72T02P6T5&colid=2PF3HJ4P6WMOM

2. To the OP: if you already have a red laser that's too weak to be used sunlight, then why don't you just buy a pair of $10 laser enhancement/filter glasses?

espnazi
03-24-11, 21:57
There a lot of cheaper powerful laser that you can order online and anything above 35mw you should be able to see fine. The only caveat is that according to my info it is illegal to use anything or perhaps even own a laser with more than 5mw.

Bimmer
03-24-11, 22:24
There a lot of cheaper powerful laser that you can order online...

Where?

Well, that one on Amazon claims 50mw and is only $10, shipped. Who's going to undercut that price?

Plus, it's Amazon, so I know I can send it back if it's DOA or goes belly up...

espnazi
03-24-11, 23:15
While the Amazon laser looks enticing I would suggest it is of sub par quality and highly doubt it even produces more than 15mw. It doesn't even mention any sort of brand.

A retailer with good feedback and affordable products is http://www.rayfoss.com/ they have a good return policy and even offer 50% coverage in case customs seizes your laser. There is also Kaidoman and others if you want cheaper but I would not put too much faith in them since they have had some spotty reports. Also, some places will not ship to the US since the FDA is cracking down on high power lasers.

Bimmer
03-24-11, 23:26
While the Amazon laser looks enticing I would suggest it is of sub par quality and highly doubt it even produces more than 15mw.

Agreed...

A retailer with good feedback and affordable products is http://www.rayfoss.com/

Thanks, this is just the kind of thing I'm looking for...

Really, I just need something to work at 25yds, but I need it to stay on for several minutes at a time.

Most of these list the "duty cycle" as 60 or 90 seconds. Does that mean they overheat and turn off after 60-90 seconds?

espnazi
03-24-11, 23:52
Depends on the power most even $500 laser do this due to the sheer cooling power needed. I suggest you get something with low mw 35 or less would be good. You actually don't need much power if you want such short distances. If you keep with a relatively low power laser, keeping it on should not be a problem.

Here's a video of someone in Asia shining a 30 mw green laser in daylight( skip to the middle). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsfkMpsuTY&feature=related

VaniB
03-27-11, 23:19
thanks for the input. appreciate it.