PDA

View Full Version : BCG in A1

leroyswift
03-11-11, 19:36
Considering an ar15 a1 sporter thats made from surplus and other parts. Being in an a1 what kind of BCG should i go with? I know the difference of m16 and ar15 BCG's but i dont trust the one century would use, So i would go with a BCM fixture. Any advice?

ZRH
03-12-11, 00:32
Slabside ones were chrome with no FA cuts. I think A1 would just be normal parked BCG. No idea what contents of parts kits are.

leroyswift
03-12-11, 01:13
Well its the century c15 sporter. I know many people run from century guns but i have had good luck from them and believe they can be improved upon cor a good rifle.

flatdarkmars
03-12-11, 11:06
Assuming Century is just using the BCGs from the parts kits they assembled the rifles from, I wouldn't have a problem with the included BCG. It would be a correct Colt BCG in very good to unissued condition. Then again, I don't know if they do anything stupid like grinding them to semi-auto configuration. I would see what comes with the rifle first, and only if it is lacking in some way would I replace it. If replacing it, then I would use any quality FA BCG with a properly-staked gas key. Personally I would try to avoid one with the maker's logo emblazoned to show through the ejection port.

shiva
03-12-11, 14:17
Personally I would try to avoid one with the maker's logo emblazoned to show through the ejection port.

+1 to that. Our very own Grant at G&R Tactical sell a quality bolt carrier at a reasonable price without any NASCAResque logos.

leroyswift
03-12-11, 22:26
to be honest I am shying away from the century gun. I am thinking of building one but unsure of where to get a 20" upper. A1 or A2

flatdarkmars
03-12-11, 23:48
For an original A1 upper, you'll need to watch GunBroker or the arfcom Equipment Exchange, unless you want to build your own from a parts kit with the new-production, in-the-white barrels. Military A2 uppers (Colt, FN) also come up on GB and the EE.

usmcvet
03-13-11, 07:41
Considering an ar15 a1 sporter thats made from surplus and other parts. Being in an a1 what kind of BCG should i go with? I know the difference of m16 and ar15 BCG's but i dont trust the one century would use, So i would go with a BCM fixture. Any advice?

I would seriously use the one that comes with the parts kit. The concern with Century is the stuff they make/put together. Just my .02. If it is one of the kits I've seen it is a new USGI probably colt M16 BCG. Ask the vendor. I've seen the adds for a bunch of these guns the bbl and reciver are removed and the rest is origional USGI parts, most of what I've seen have been Colt.

kmrtnsn
03-13-11, 14:03
I took a look at these on a couple of websites. Look to be disassembled M16A1's with new barrels. Neither site could tell me the barrel twist of the new barrel or whether or not the LPK was new or old parts. When it comes down to it, the only parts here not of questionable or dubious quality are the stock, grip, and for-end, which you are paying new prices for old parts. Personally, I think you could do better, piecing the components together from somewhere else with all new parts.

torquemada055
04-19-11, 01:54
I built my 603 with parts I bought mostly from the AR15, I got a complete upper, and installed a BCM upgraded BCG.
They come up fairly often on the EE at a normally affordable price.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=866063

Iraqgunz
04-19-11, 02:14
Apex Gun Parts in Colorado is selling stripped down M16A1 kits and parts. No idea about quality or anything else.

Scorpion
04-19-11, 20:45
I have a c15a2 sporter. The BCG that came with it was marked "C" for Colt, but they milled off a large part to convert it to semi-auto (why they do this, I do not know). It functioned just fine. I just put a BCM bolt carrier in mine out of personal preference.

In short, it'll be ok to use. Be worried if Century starts producing their own parts instead of using milsurp kits.

Robb Jensen
04-19-11, 21:45
I have a c15a2 sporter. The BCG that came with it was marked "C" for Colt, but they milled off a large part to convert it to semi-auto (why they do this, I do not know). It functioned just fine. I just put a BCM bolt carrier in mine out of personal preference.

In short, it'll be ok to use. Be worried if Century starts producing their own parts instead of using milsurp kits.

I fixed a customers (who knows where he bought it) Century AR about a year ago. His trigger pin kept walking out. I looked at the lower and it had a semi auto trigger group but with a M16A2 hammer spring which wasn't putting much pressure on the trigger pin. So I replace his hammer spring with a AR15/M16-A1 style hammer spring and the problem went away. It probably would have worked if I had just rotated the trigger pin so that the notch was on the same side as the small loop side of the hammer spring, but I just traded him springs and did the work for no charge.

Scorpion
04-20-11, 14:13
Oh yeah, they're hit and miss, more the latter than the former. The hammer spring was an issue in mine, too. It worked, but it looked like they uncoiled one side so I replaced it.

I got one of the good ones, I guess. To clarify, I meant the BCG would be ok to use.