PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Center Mass Patrol Rifle Instructor School

ST911
09-18-07, 22:53
AAR - Center Mass, Inc. Patrol Rifle Instructor School

I recently returned from a Center Mass Inc. Patrol Rifle Instructor School. The course is an instructor-level, 5-day, 50+ hour curriculum of instruction on pertinent aspects of patrol rifle program development, training, and deployment. On the web here: http://www.centermassinc.com/638278.html

The Course:

Content covered the many pertinent aspects of LE patrol rifle programs. Topics were spaced out throughout the week in a logical sequence. Exercises were conducted in an allotment of time sufficient for the lowest common denominator to achieve a basic proficiency. Two sessions of classroom training were conducted, almost one full day on TD1 and the morning of TD3. Night exercises were conducted on TD3 and covered common low/no light deployment methods. The balance of the course was dry and live fire exercises on at the outdoor range facility.

Included within the course were exercises on a CAPS system for scenario based training. This was a highlight of the course for many, as most students had never used a live-fire simulation system. On the web at: http://www.caps-inc.com/

Throughout the week, students were prompted to spontaneously instruct a particular skill, coach others, and run the line as other students shot. When not assigned such a task, each student coached another student.

The course concluded with student presentations of assigned topics, a written test of material covered, and a COF most found challenging. The COF is well written, one of the better for this purpose in fact, and included a test of each skill learned within the course.

Each student received an exceptionally well prepared and comprehensive manual containing the entirety of course content, as well as additional supportive information and resources.

Students:

Students in attendance were all currently serving law enforcement firearms instructors in agencies deploying patrol rifles, planning to, or contemplating same. Previous training and experience varied, with some who had substantial training, instructional background, or operational experience, and others with only basic/initial LEFI certs. The latter were the bulk of the class. Most of the students were known to each other, and the class gelled well.

Equipment:

Equipment varied. Some arrived with quality gear proven to be GTG that ran with boring reliability. The tendency of administrators to economize was clearly evident, and there was a disproportionate amount of gear purchased with economy in mind rather than performance. There were no surprises.

DPMS: Several in attendance. A disproportionate amount of the stoppages, failures, and issues were with these guns. None possessed sufficient gas key staking. None were staked at the receiver extension nut. One had suspect chamber dims. None had the correct extractor spring assembly. One officer brought a carbine with a 4-position selector, sequenced (from the 9:00) Safe-Auto-Semi-Burst. He fought the gun. DPMS buyers cited low price and immediate availability as primary purchase criteria. When discussing desirable assembly methods and the reasons for them, one owner asked, “why don’t they just do that at the factory?” Overheard from another: “There are four problems with my gun: 1) D. 2) P. 3) M. 4) S.”

Eotechs: The first went loose on TD1, and 2 more during the week. The first went loose again later as well. Guys with these on their guns learned fast, and constantly checked their gear. Also heard: “Hey, who turned off my sight?”

Defensive Edge SLR-15: Nicely assembled. Positive staking of all pertinents. Proper extractor spring insert. When lubed correctly, it ran well. Unresolved quirk while seating a couple of mags. Pending.

HK G36K: Two in attendance, both ran well. The stocks are too long for pretty much everyone, and especially for IBOs. HK mags tend to hang in pouches and pockets due to the tabs that link them together. If mags won’t be linked together in the field, users might consider shaving them off.

Mini-14: Get it hot, run it dry, and watch it lock up tight. Credit where credit is due: the firing pin and extractor made it.

Remington Rem-Oil: Doesn’t go the distance. A light, sporting/commercial grade lubricant that should stay in that venue.

Weaponshield CLP: At least as good as the other CLPs out there, and just may be much better than most. Comparatively less evap, burn-off, and run-off than others on the line, especially Breakfree.

Stoppages due to insufficient lube- multiple. The “less is more” mantras, old military habits, and aversions to having a “messy gun” die hard. Some learned, stubborn others will return to the road with guns that won’t run long.

Loose pistol grip screws- 2. While effecting repair of one, an instructor was surprised to learn that PG screws were not standardized, with some being slotted and some being hex. Only the slotted driver was readily available.

Extraction failures- multiple. Several guns came with rifle extractor spring assemblies, and it showed. Weak or absent extraction in fouled or hot guns was frequent. Most commonly in DPMS.

Magazine issues- Various problems from USGI mags that have been kept in service too long. Some D&H mags were seen with that soft, easily deformed quasi-GI follower.

Likewise, the ammunition supplied for this course provided its own quirks. 21 shooters fired ~21,000 rounds of Remington UMC 55gr MC (p/n L223R3). Bullet setback, bullet deformation, case deformation, jacket/core separation in 1/7 twist, and failures to fire were observed. There were no catastrophic failures.

As always, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Some gear that should’ve had issues was spared them. The firing schedule was more than most were used to, but not particularly intense. Further indictment of the gear that faltered.

My gear ran without issue, as it always has. Worn daily:

Colt LE6920 w/ irons only, mounted Surefire G2, Specter sling.
Magpul PMags and CProducts SS mags in Wilderness pouches.
3 handguns, Glocks 23 (belt), 27 (ankle), SW 642 (pocket). Worn every day.
Surefire E-series lights in the pockets.

This was the major shakedown cruise for PMags, and they did well. One showed some resistance to seating in the 6920 and did not drop free when empty. Removing a little material from the top of the mag catch detent seems to have done the trick.

This was also a test of the Weaponshield CLP sample(s) sent from the manufacturer. I started TD1 with a clean and lubed gun. Relubed TD3. Knocked the chunks out and relubed on the morning of TD4. Cleaned and relubed late TD4 and shot TD5 clean. Due to the combined hot/cold range management and breezy conditions, I was able to accumulate a good quantity of dirt and dust along the way as well.

My final round count: ~1200rds.

Parting thoughts:

LESO/1033 M-16s remain viable and popular patrol rifles. They are quality builds, and perform well when properly maintained. When service is indicated, put the good stuff in it to keep it going.

A competent shooter does not require an accessorized M4-type to bring the fight to the bad guy. An incompetent shooter isn’t made better by one. Fundamentals first, especially for the police patrol environment.

Optics and accessories add a dimension to training most instructors underestimate. But they're neat, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Instructor development is not a course or a certification, it’s a pursuit that doesn’t end.

Based on the above, I recommend this course to others in need of training on the subject. Good week.

jmart
09-18-07, 23:03
Thanx for the detailed write up. Much appreciated, lotsa good info packed in there.

jackinfl
09-19-07, 08:09
Skintop911,
At what distance are they advocating to zero? I am interested as i have seen and use the 50yard, but have seen others in pure LE recommend 25 yard. What do they teach?

Thanks
Jack

ST911
09-19-07, 09:14
Skintop911, At what distance are they advocating to zero? I am interested as i have seen and use the 50yard, but have seen others in pure LE recommend 25 yard. What do they teach? Thanks Jack

50yd, and ignore the elevation wheel if so equipped. Few advocate different these days.

markm
09-19-07, 09:33
Awesome write up!

These kind of quality reviews always tend to mirror one another when it comes to Rifle brands.

The Colts out run the knock offs regularly. And contrary to popular belief, I'm NOT a Colt Only shooter. I only have one complete Colt out of FIVE ARs.

It irritates me when these BONE HEADS say you're just paying for the Logo.:rolleyes:

jackinfl
09-19-07, 10:50
Skintop911,
What did they recommend time wise for a basic certification for the Patrol officer? By the way we do a 2 day program with a qual course that was designed for a 100 yard range. When we don't have 100 we mod the course...

Good to read the 50 yard zero comment. I think it is a no-brainer, but hard to change the minds of those that know it all. Even when demonstrated.

Jack

ST911
09-19-07, 13:58
Skintop911, What did they recommend time wise for a basic certification for the Patrol officer? By the way we do a 2 day program with a qual course that was designed for a 100 yard range. When we don't have 100 we mod the course... Jack

24 hour minimum.

zen_grasshopper
09-19-07, 16:02
Skintop911,

Just a quick addition regarding equipment. My 07/07 marked PMags would not lock into Pat's M&P either empty or full, bolt back or forward. They needed about .002" more room, I suppose I could have slammed them in but I didn't try it.

PS. I had a family emergency so I finally got the other components to your MIAD shipped out today via USPS.

Jon

ST911
09-19-07, 18:30
Skintop911,

Just a quick addition regarding equipment. My 07/07 marked PMags would not lock into Pat's M&P either empty or full, bolt back or forward. They needed about .002" more room, I suppose I could have slammed them in but I didn't try it.

Forgot about that one, thanks for the reminder.

Common problem with the S&Ws.

PS. I had a family emergency so I finally got the other components to your MIAD shipped out today via USPS. Jon

No prob. Sorry to hear, hope all is well.

Kilroy
09-19-07, 21:00
I'd have liked to seen more emphasis on closing the dust cover (NRA LEAD and EAG) which would have saved quite a bit of dirt in the action for some of the shooters. This got scant mention or attention on the range.

Also of importance is a quick peek at the bolt (EAG......thanks again Pat) prior to closing the dust cover. I saw two problems that would have been quickly detected with a glimpse of the ejection port, just before one would normally close that dust cover.

I've found it easier to teach and train when one establishes a Pre-Engagement and Post-Engagement Sequence. Several shooters in this course began training with unloaded pistols or magazines that had not been returned to their ready location.

Small things....yes. But the devil is in the details.

markm
09-20-07, 08:36
Also of importance is a quick peek at the bolt (EAG......thanks again Pat) prior to closing the dust cover. I saw two problems that would have been quickly detected with a glimpse of the ejection port, just before one would normally close that dust cover.

This is a HUGE detail!

Not just closing it, but LOOKING at what you're closing it on!! I closed mine once on a locked back bolt once. I was doing some CQB shooting and moving on steel targets with frangible ammo.... So I didn't feel/hear the bolt lock back like you would if you were shooting from a fixed position.

On my next attack the trigger was dead! Of course failure drills did nothing because the charging handle was useless. And the Dust cover was closed so I didn't know WTF was going on.

No biggie since this was just a practice session, but I always look at what I'm closing the cover on now.

Kilroy
09-20-07, 13:15
As I contemplate the course, I recall several instances where a Chambered Round Verification would have saved some shooters additional trouble. Unless conducting an emergency reload, I was careful to make sure a round chambered every time. I'd grant that it takes extra effort, but then it's one more step to take in making sure your firearm goes bang when you expect it to.

As part of a Pre-Engagement Sequence, I knew my gun was loaded when I wanted it to be so.