PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions of the Badger Ordnance Left hand charging handle

Gunfighter 9
03-12-11, 07:53
I just recieved the Badger Ordnance left handed charging handle with extended latch. Unfortunately, I am not impressed. I though this would allow me to pull the bolt on the weapon rearward using just my right (support) hand. However, when I attempt to do this the bolt scrapes along the inner left side of the upper reciever and binds up completely before the bolt goes all the way to the rear. Reaching up and pinching the bolt latch with my thumb and index finger works so long as I make a conscious effort to keep any tilt out of the movement.

I find the only way to pull the bolt fully rearward consistantly is to hook both sides of the charging handle with my index and middle finger. Just like you would with a standard charging handle. I don't know if this is an issue because of different tolerances within the upper reciever itself, a problem specific to the M&P brand, or just a design flaw. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with this product as well? Am I doing something wrong?

Based on these initial observations, I would not suggest this product to other left handed AR shooters. It just doesn't seem to offer any advantage over a traditional charging handle in my opinion. The thumb and index finger method I mentioned do allow you to cycle the bolt without to much adjustment to shooting position, but require too much fine motor skill to be useable in a high stress situation.

ALCOAR
03-12-11, 08:20
sorry to hear that, as a lefty I have been tempted to try one of the current flavor ambi charging handles..or really the only one I feel makes any difference at all and that is the ACLM ambi charging handle. However I'm gonna wait for an editable TRUE ambi charging handle.

Given I'm using a LMT/Colt/BCM standard CH, I really have given up the dream and driven on, that said the bus makes frequent and unexpected stops in case any mfg'rs are listening:)

Check out MM's writeup on the ACLM...it's still a nice piece of kit and I think it's currently prob. the best of class for the ambi charging handle market.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access.html

PJ2RESQU2
03-12-11, 08:41
I own multiple Badger Ambi Charging handles and don't have this issue with any of them. I'm able to work the bolt exactly as you want and that is why I use them on my personal and work guns.

Sounds like you got a lemon! I'd send the handle back and let them know about the issue.

I hope this helps!

press8506
03-12-11, 08:56
I use the Badger ambi handle with the standard size lever and have no problems at all. Do you have a different upper you can try it out on? Doing that will help you narrow the list of suspects which as I see it can only be 1 of 3 different things, the handle, the upper/bolt group, or the angle in which your twisting or bending the handle while pulling it. Keep us updated.

Gunfighter 9
03-12-11, 10:42
I only have the one upper reciever so I don't really have any way of eliminating that possibilty. I will try to see if I can improve my technique and get a better result. I did notice the charging handle is showing considerable wear on both sides. Perhaps the tolerance on the M&P upper is tighter?

Well, I added some Rem Oil to the BCG and the charging handle, and then cycled it a few times using the standard hook method. I then tried to cycle the bolt using the edge and palm of my support hand and it was definitely easier this time. So my initial observations may have been due to operator error. I will keep working with it to see if it gets any better.

militarymoron
03-12-11, 11:03
my badger works just fine with the thumb and index finger 'pinch' method - i usually put some oil or grease on the charging handle where it slides inside the receiver. wear is normal on the bearing surfaces.
i prefer the ACLM as you don't have to depress a latch to pull it back (unless the carrier is to the rear).

nubs101
03-12-11, 11:18
I own multiple Badger Ambi Charging handles and don't have this issue with any of them. I'm able to work the bolt exactly as you want and that is why I use them on my personal and work guns.

Sounds like you got a lemon! I'd send the handle back and let them know about the issue.

I hope this helps!

This. I also own one and its been working great for a while now

christcorp
03-12-11, 14:31
As a lefty; I always charge the rifle with my left hand.

928M4
03-12-11, 16:54
I think part of the problem with the Badger Ambi with the extended right side lever, is that it is so extened if gives the option for too much side-loading on the charging handle causing it to bind like that.

The extended left(normal) side lever can get away with it bacause of the bolt catch being on the same side and any negative side loading effects concerning the Bolt catch are the opposite (better instead of worse).

I was back and forth for months on getting the Badger Ambi CH, but to me the extended version looked too big and their normal ambi (same smaller lever on each side) looked too small.

By chance I happened up on the KZ Ambi Charging Handle (yeah, Botach I know let's still to handles) and it looked like it was right in the middle, had identical sized levers and seemed to be just what I was looking for. So I ordered one in since $49 was cheap for an ambi CH and well worth a shot.

After getting one, I was impressed with the quality and the function for me was absolutely perfect! The lever is just the right size to do a quck charge with the edge of your hand and is not so big it causes side loading issues.

The only negative I had with them was the "KZ USA" on the handle, but a Super Black pen fixed that :-)

Ironically right at this time BT was having a sale on KZ stuff so I bought more at $37ish and replaced all my CHs with them. Couldn't be happier and got my money back selling all the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CHs I had.

So you can dismiss these bacause they are "KZ" and from Botach Tacitcal...but if you are a leftie like me, you may be missing out of the best Ambi CH curently available.....or not :-)

http://www.botachtactical.com/kzamchha.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2146_474394939

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2149_554329009

928M4
03-12-11, 16:56
Double Tap..

maximus83
03-12-11, 18:50
928m4, thanks for the tip on the BT CH. I posted a thread a while ago asking for feedback and linking to some of the known CH's, but never got a lot of info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55519

Honestly, one thing that would concern me with the one you got from BT is, whether this is a CH from a reputable company that has been proven under hard use. I've not heard of "KZ" before.

Another option for Ambi CH's that I'm keeping my eye on, is Troy's new Ambi CH (http://troyind.com/%20/troy-weapon-upgrades/troy-ambidextrous-charging-handle-coming-soon-2) that is coming out soon, along with their ambi safety selector, mag release, and bolt release.

kmrtnsn
03-12-11, 20:44
Caveat Emptor. KZ is Kley Zion, the house brand of Botach Tactical. Most of these items are cheap Chinese copies of other people's designs. The have been sued by, and been the subject of cease and desist orders from several manufacturers. As a friend says, "buy shit; eat shit".

Stan9106
03-13-11, 07:44
Check out MM's writeup on the ACLM...it's still a nice piece of kit and I think it's currently prob. the best of class for the ambi charging handle market.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access.html

I have the ACLM. IMHO, it's a quality piece, well worth the money.