PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Tube

Abull
03-12-11, 11:48
I an in need of three buffer tubes for future builds. I now have a DD and what is probably a couple of DSA tubes. I have never had any problems but I decided I would go with LMT tubes for these builds. Then I see a complete kit, DSA tube, buffer, spring, plate and nut for just $5 more than I can get the LMT tube. Guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm going the right way! Thanks.

Alan

rebelfirearms
03-12-11, 12:10
A tube is a tube!

I would stick with Mil-Spec and then just verify the size is the one you want!

If you want something nice and different look at the vltor tubes
'
'http://www.vltor.com/accessory.htm

ucrt
03-12-11, 12:51

I don't agree with "a tube is a tube". I have felt inside some tubes that feel about as rough a driveway and I've felt some that are slick as glass. It is easy to feel the difference between the rough ones and the smooth ones when you pull the CH back and just feel the resistance (or lack of it).

There was a guy at the range Thursday that asked me if there was a way to "loosen" up the stiffness of his new $600 DPMS. I politely told him there was a reason it sold for $600 but to just keep everything lubed up because it was dry at the time. That CH had an extremely rough ride coming back...

I'm sure the Vltor (and LMT) are top of the line.

But maybe it's just me...

Iraqgunz
03-12-11, 12:52
Normally I would delete this, but I'll humor everyone for now. Also, this isn't a technical question so it's moving.

jonconsiglio
03-12-11, 13:08
Finally, one that's not deleted. I tried to hurry too. Any time something costs less, it's usually lesser quality.

I have a few different ones laying around from KAC (or whoever makes theirs), LMT, Vltor and a few cheaper ones. The LMT has a lighter finish but I also read somewhere that it's smoother inside - have no idea where though and I personally don't care if it is or isn't.

Not all mil-spec tubes are the same. It says mil-spec, but that doesn't always mean the aluminum used is correct to mil-spec (the TDP calls for 7075, forged or extruded, commercial are often 6061 and I wouldn't doubt if low quality "mil spec" tubes are also 6061), just that it is mil-spec sized. So, I'd definitely spend a few dollars extra for the LMT or Vltor, knowing it's from a quality manufacturer.

markm
03-12-11, 13:11
A tube is a tube!

TURBO WRONG!!!

And those ****ing 19 dollar DSA mil spec diameter tubes are not the same as a DD, Vltor, BCM, or Colt.

Bob Reed
03-12-11, 13:33
Hello,

Personally, I'd only buy a Genuine COLT receiver extension. http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/RECEIVER_EXTENSION_CARBINE-144-4.html

I'd also stick with Genuine COLT Parts for the rest of the build as well.
http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/Colt_AR_15_Parts-4-0.html

Surf
03-12-11, 13:45
Specialized Armament is a bit expensive. Look at the cost of purchasing a simple Bolt Carrier group from SA then direct from Colt. I know that SA carries just about everything but if Colt can sell a similar item from their own website then I would think that SA shouldn't be quite a bit more in costs. Just an observation.

justin_247
03-12-11, 14:25
Order a BCM M4 Stock Kit with an H-buffer for $77 and be done with it:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black.htm

The lowest quality I would go with would be CMT and their stock kit doesn't include an H-buffer and still usually costs the same as the above BCM kit. Other than that, stick with LMT, VLTOR, Colt, and DD.

Abull
03-12-11, 16:07
This is a very confusing board to say the least. Usually delete a thread where someone asks a legitimate question? I just want an opinion on whether it's worth the extra to buy a 7075 tube or a 6061 tube. If this is wrong by all means delete. This is only the second time I have posted something here, I understand the professionals here, guess I will just go back to the "read only mode".

jonconsiglio
03-12-11, 16:16
It's not that it's not a legitimate question, it's just easily found by searching. If you can't find it with the orange search button, try Google followed with m4carbine.net and it should come up for you.

Also, anytime there's a better material involved, it's usually worth buying the better of the two.

justin_247
03-12-11, 17:02
It is absolutely worth the little bit of extra money to buy the 7075 tube. Buy right the first time! Not only that, you're telling the company that you want mil-spec products, so there will be incentive for them to carry better products.

Like I said, buy BCM and be done with it. You can never go wrong with BCM.

bkb0000
03-12-11, 17:08
This is a very confusing board to say the least. Usually delete a thread where someone asks a legitimate question? I just want an opinion on whether it's worth the extra to buy a 7075 tube or a 6061 tube. If this is wrong by all means delete. This is only the second time I have posted something here, I understand the professionals here, guess I will just go back to the "read only mode".

DSA receiver extensions are likely to be hit or miss on quality, and of odd-ball varying diameter... this had been my experience, and why i don't get anything from DSA, or several other unknown sources. the LMT tubes are very consistent, and on the higher side of the tolerance- generally fitting snugger is more stocks.

as far as material... who knows. REs dont break very often, and they last a really, realy long time- so aside from perhaps the ability to get tighter tolerances with one material (?), i don't see how it could possibly make a difference.

locknload223
03-12-11, 19:14
I went to a local gun show looking for a tube and came across a go-fast booth with a load of cool looking AR parts. He had a pile of tubes so I asked him what grade aluminum they were made of. He said, "they're mil-spec." I said yeah but what grade of aluminum? He replied with "mil-spec is mil-spec." I walked away and bought a Vltor a couple rows away. I figure if something happens to the tube (dropped, slip and fall, butt check), and the tube fails... well, I now have a 6 1/2lb club instead of a rifle.

Spend a few bucks more and go with one of the higher quality previously mentioned brands.

Artiz
03-12-11, 20:22
I have a "mil-spec" Armalite receiver extention, and all I can say is... it's NOT mil-spec. My MOE stock wobbles a lot on it and the inside is rougher than hell. It's made from 6061 aluminium.

I didn't stake the castle nut when I assembled it, I'll change the RE as soon as I can find a good one. Up here it's pretty damn rare and usually very expensive. :mad:

Quentin
03-12-11, 23:30
Order a BCM M4 Stock Kit with an H-buffer for $77 and be done with it:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black.htm ...

Couldn't agree more. I have two BCM kits and couldn't be more impressed with the quality. Much smoother operation than a Del-Ton and Bushmaster I compared them against. And it's great to have six adjustments instead of the standard milspec four.

No need to look any further...

FSTRN
03-13-11, 00:22
[QUOTE=Abull;937199 Then I see a complete kit, DSA tube, buffer, spring, plate and nut for just $5 more than I can get the LMT tube. Guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm going the right way! Thanks.

Alan[/QUOTE]
Are you looking for the furniture as well or just the hardware? DSG sells Magpul furniture kits that include the hardware for a great price. Downside is that the hardware is DSA. Charlie will upgrade the hardware for a reasonable increase in cost. Still works out to be a helluva deal.

MistWolf
03-13-11, 00:56
I've little experience with AR receiver extensions, but I can tell you that tubes made from 7075 will take much more abuse before failing than tubes made from 6061

markm
03-13-11, 11:36
I have a "mil-spec" Armalite receiver extention, and all I can say is... it's NOT mil-spec. My MOE stock wobbles a lot on it and the inside is rougher than hell. It's made from 6061 aluminium.

I didn't stake the castle nut when I assembled it, I'll change the RE as soon as I can find a good one. Up here it's pretty damn rare and usually very expensive. :mad:

EXACTLY!!! You'll find that a real COLT RE will be very smooth on the inside which is less friction during cycling.

bp7178
03-13-11, 12:03
I like the LMT extensions and how they have the little extra step where it contacts the detent. That's one thing I miss with the A5. 1/16" of a turn with the A5 and the detent is flying across the room.

I wouldn't buy one that wasn't 7075. The cost difference between crap and good stuff really isn't all that high here, buy the good stuff.

LMT/COLT

BDavis
03-13-11, 15:51
I can tell commercial from "mil-spec" but is there any way to tell 6016 from 7075 tubes? Are they stamped somewhere? Do they weigh or feel different? Just looking at pictures on the interweb, I cant tell one from the other.

Artiz
03-13-11, 16:25
EXACTLY!!! You'll find that a real COLT RE will be very smooth on the inside which is less friction during cycling.

I know... I'd have one on my AR right now if they were available in Canada, they're not. The only true mil-spec RE are from LMT, and they've been out of stock for a long time. And they're 80 bucks... :(

usmcvet
03-13-11, 16:37
OP I would buy the LMT. It is worth a little extra $.

Artiz
03-13-11, 16:43
Does anybody know what material the CMT/Stag mil-spec RE are made of and if their dimensions vary a lot?

bp7178
03-13-11, 19:26
I know... I'd have one on my AR right now if they were available in Canada, they're not. The only true mil-spec RE are from LMT, and they've been out of stock for a long time. And they're 80 bucks... :(

Is that $80 Canadian? LMT REs can be had at many places, and stateside they are closer to $50.

Colt REs are very much mil-spec, but are $75 and up.

Toyoland66
03-13-11, 20:32

G&R has LMT re's for significantly less than that.

Artiz
03-13-11, 21:16
Guys I'm in Canada. I can't order anything AR related directly from the U.S. I have to deal with what's available here when it appears on the very few online AR dealers. Which is either an Armalite RE (the one I already have), a CMT or an LMT and this one has not been in stock for a while.

Eric D.
03-13-11, 22:26
There's no way to tell by looking at it.

I can tell commercial from "mil-spec" but is there any way to tell 6016 from 7075 tubes? Are they stamped somewhere? Do they weigh or feel different? Just looking at pictures on the interweb, I cant tell one from the other.

GaryXD
03-14-11, 08:22
Does anybody know what material the CMT/Stag mil-spec RE are made of and if their dimensions vary a lot?

CMT is 7075. My CTR stocks always lock up solid on CMT tubes.

ASH556
03-14-11, 08:43
I would recommend the LMT. I've got them on both of my lowers. I actually paid a little more for them on purpose. The moly (or whatever it is) lube on the outside makes the stock slide like glass, but also incorporates some friction for a tight fit (kindof like intercourse!) Also, as has been mentioned, there is a tab incorporated into the receiver end that holds the detend in place during installation, not absolutely necessary, but handy nonetheless. Furthermore, I believe the Sopod assemblies (which incorporate the LMT receiver extension) have an NSN number, so that makes them, in fact, mil-spec.

Artiz
03-14-11, 11:12
CMT is 7075. My CTR stocks always lock up solid on CMT tubes.

I think it's expected, I've just been informed by the official Canadian Stag/CMT dealer that CMT makes Colt's RE, they are the same item. ;)

bp7178
03-14-11, 12:38
I'm pretty sure CMT, LMT and LAR make just about every part available for AR-15s, regardless of whos name is on it. The industry just isn't that big.

My CMT LPK has the same "S" marks on it as Colt ones.

But this doesn't mean they are all equal. If the end manufactures incorporate more QC checks into the process you could, in theory, end up with a better part.

ucrt
03-14-11, 15:28
I think it's expected, I've just been informed by the official Canadian Stag/CMT dealer that CMT makes Colt's RE, they are the same item. ;)

==================================

This may be true BUT there sure are a lot of companies claim their parts are either made by the same company that makes Colt's parts or they make Colt parts.

And if it is true, it doesn't necessarily mean they are the same because Colt may spec it differently?

But maybe it's just me...

ucrt
03-14-11, 15:29
My CMT LPK has the same "S" marks on it as Colt ones.

===============================

Doesn't Colt stamp a "C" on their parts?

bp7178
03-14-11, 15:38
Depends on the part and when they were made. There was a thread comparing LPKs and the Colts were said to have an "S", but I forget what factory those steel parts came back to. Something that began with an S. And again, it depends on when it was made.

There just aren't that many places with the capability to make steel and forged aluminum parts. I'm sure Colt and such outfits do their own end machine work, making the cast or forged part into what they want to their spec/TDP.

Look at barrel steel. How many steel mills are even in existence in this country anymore?

hals1
03-14-11, 16:34
Not to highjack the thread (well, maybe) I have a Bushmaster lower I'd like to replace the tube on and add a iMod. The Bushmaster spring will work in a BCM mil spec tube, right? It's my understanding that the OD is the difference. Right?

Artiz
03-14-11, 18:38
Not to highjack the thread (well, maybe) I have a Bushmaster lower I'd like to replace the tube on and add a iMod. The Bushmaster spring will work in a BCM mil spec tube, right? It's my understanding that the OD is the difference. Right?

Yes. I'd buy a BCM spring tho...

hals1
03-14-11, 22:42
Yes. I'd buy a BCM spring tho...

Was planning on buying spring from BCM but couldn't find them on their site at first. Didn't think to search for action spring. Got it on my wish list. Now I have to find a castle nut wrench; BCM is out of them. Maybe I can find somebody local with one and borrow/rent it. Any inexpensive one recommended? I will probably use it a couple of times.

01tundra
03-15-11, 10:28
G&R has LMT re's for significantly less than that.

Yep ^ just bought one from Grant the other day.