PDA

View Full Version : AAR Mossie Tactics Intro to Pistol 3/6/11

nfranco
03-12-11, 14:03
AAR for Mossie Tactics Intro to Pistol 3/6/11

Please forgive me if some of the details are out of order or missing.

Thank you to Buck Mossie of MossieTactics(http://www.mossietactics.com/) for the Intro to Pistol class, it was informative and enjoyable.

We started with 5 class members, one had to leave at lunch due to illness.

Class was at the Oaktree ranges, nice facility.

We had shooters ranging from first time pistol shooters to some that had been shooting for awhile.

There was one M&P9, one 1911 and one glock 17 and a 19.

Buck opened with a lecture on the 4 basics of firearm safety and the 7 principles of marksmanship.

We started shooting at the 7 yard line with basics, stance, grip,breath control, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and follow through.

Once everyone had the basics down and were getting shots on paper we moved to failure drills.

Buck was constantly reminding us that every shot is it's own thing and accuracy was king, speed comes later.

Trigger control was emphasized with the empty casing on the front sight drill, then we reshot the previous drill.

Reloads were next up followed by drawing from the holster, with Buck emphasizing safety and the 4 stages of the draw.

As our accuracy improved we brought our speed up.

Some steel work (with reloads for me with the 1911) on multiple targets.

Lunch at the range restaurant, complete with harassment by the range dogs.

A walk back drill, 5-75 yards on a steel silhouette, was a bit nerve wracking but we were all able to complete it.

We ended the day with some pistol swapping between everyone and
a final reminder of the 7 basics.

I've been shooting casualy for the past 25 years and this was the first formal training i've attended, I came away understanding the bad habits i've developed and how to correct them.

I started shooting my 1911s again and was short bussing my reloads, got used to the bigger magwell of the my glock.

Buck was a great instructor and I look forward to more training with him, good blend of humor and instruction.

nick

Buck
03-14-11, 02:56
Nick,

Thanks for the nice AAR.

B

TOrrock
03-14-11, 10:01
No matter how long you've been shooting, good instruction makes a hell of a difference.

HeavyZevy
04-12-11, 16:45
I too was a participant in the March 6th class. Nfranco already gave an excellent AAR, so let me just add my 2 cents. I was one of those beginners participating in the class. I had a Glock 34 rental(left that one out nfranco;) ). Buck is one of the best teachers I've ever had, not just in shooting, but in any subject ever. If all my teacher were as gifted as he, I would be a far wiser man today. He gave the class in an extremely lucid manner, breaking up the subject material so it would better digested by the class. He started with the safety and handling of each handgun in the class, and familiarizing ourselves using dummy guns. We then went through the fundamentals step by step, and drilled these until they would flow seamlessly. By the end of the day we were able to stand at about 70-75 yards away and hit a steel target with a handgun! Remarkable for a beginner such as myself, who at the start of the lesson was happy to hit a whole magazine into the target from 7 yards out. By the end of the day, if at 15 yards I wouldn't get them into the two innermost rings at 15 yards, I knew it was because I wasn't sticking to the fundamentals or jerking the trigger.

EVERYONE, including the more experienced shooters in the class saw some great improvement over the day. The drills Buck taught us are designed for us to use again and again to better our shooting and refine all of the fundamentals. We also drilled on some "street" scenarios and learned when to assess the situation, how to best reload and safely yet quickly draw and handle ourselves and the firearm.

Now Buck has been helping me select my first firearm for purchase. He is very patient and is always explaining to me about different firearms(he is a walking encyclopedia on firearms and shooting), the pros and cons of different firearms and calibers, so I can make a very informed decision.
Thank you Buck and thank you Mossie Tactics! Can't wait for the May 1st pistol class:)!