PDA

View Full Version : Contra-staking, anti-staking, or removal of the staked castle nut...

dorchester
03-12-11, 18:06
I need to remove the castle nut on my nice, properly staked LMT in order to instal an A-5 R.E. So, is this a big deal or just a turn of a wrench to accomplish? I have an action block and the multi tool/wrench in my toolbox. Go for it? Also, are all the parts considered re-useable for the re-installation of the new R.E.? Thanks.

wetidlerjr
03-12-11, 18:22
Use the "Search" (orange) button at the top of the page. There are quite a few previous threads on this subject that will answer your question. :D

bkb0000
03-12-11, 18:33
Use the "Search" (orange) button at the top of the page. There are quite a few previous threads on this subject that will answer your question. :D

indeed.. but what most of them wont tell you is that it's best to put the RE in the vise, rather than use a block and put all the torque against the receiver. pad it with something- i use squares of rawhide- and chuck it up so that it won't rotate, then use just enough force to hold it in place. you don't need to, nor want to, crush it.

also to protect the receiver extension, it helps to de-stake the stakes. the best way i've found is to use a dremel cutting wheel to actually grind out little spots in the end plate behind the stakes. makes it a hell of a lot easier and less likely to hurt anything.

dont peck at it- put your wrench on there and give it a manly thrust. the more you pull and tug and **** with it, the more you run the risk of slippage/cracking/stripping, etc.

Iraqgunz
03-12-11, 22:02
It's pretty easy with the correct wrench. In the last 2 days I have broken 3 castle nuts loose and hardly broke a sweat.

Eric
03-13-11, 11:10
It's pretty easy with the correct wrench.
My observation as well. I've had good results with the HammerHead tool. It engages all four slots on the nut and gives you good leverage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Tools/IMG_8333.jpg

jwfuhrman
03-13-11, 11:47
well first you will need a plasma cutter, then a 5lb sledge hammer and probably a.... oh wait, no nevermind

bp7178
03-13-11, 11:58
:moil: I just throw the gun away. You can never break one loose if it's been staked.

Everyone on the internet knows this.

BDavis
03-13-11, 15:55
My observation as well. I've had good results with the HammerHead tool. It engages all four slots on the nut and gives you good leverage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Tools/IMG_8333.jpg

I think I have Tool Envy...........

lt211
03-13-11, 17:30
Is it wrong to use a mag block and vise?

dorchester
03-13-11, 21:12
OP here, Thanks for the helpful, humorous and polite tips. A "manly" thrust, indeed.

wetidlerjr
03-14-11, 06:13
OP here, Thanks for the helpful, humorous and polite tips. A "manly" thrust, indeed.

Next to a "bigger hammer" a "manly thrust" is the way to go.
:D