PDA

View Full Version : Putting together an affordable, quality 16" middy

maximus83
03-12-11, 22:01
I'm helping a friend put together his first AR, a do-all rifle that will be reliable enough for home defense. He wants something reliable and doesn't want to cut corners just to save $20 here and there, but he's also not an AR hardcore (yet :-) ), so he doesn't want to get a bunch of top-shelf components. He just wants something as reliable as he can get for a budget of $1k. (Yeah I know--that was his budget idea, not mine!).

I went over the basic components of a general-purpose build with him, and here's what he decided on:

* Aero-precision complete lower: $380 from G&R Tactical. Milspec trigger, G&R LPK, VLTOR EMOD, H buffer, etc.

* A BCM 16" standard 1:7 twist chrome-lined mid-length upper, with DD OmegaX 9" rail, FSB. $699. (Currently out of stock, but he can wait).

This puts him at $1080 excluding shipping and FFL fee. Plus, he'd still need a rear sight, which will add $70 to $125. So we're already over his target budget, probably by at least $200.

Question for forum:
Is it possible to setup a configuration like this with similar "milspec" components, but keep his cost under $1K? I don't think it is, but maybe I'm missing something. Is there anything on this configuration where he could find something more cost effective, without trimming the quality and reliability? For comparison, I looked at the complete BCM "Mid-16 Mod 0" rifle, which runs $1045 and is a decent rifle, but it has even more basic features than the above one, and is still lacking a rear sight. I'm afraid the dude is probably going to have to just suck it up and spend around $1200.

One other detail: the above build does NOT include a BCG, as some BCM uppers do, but I have a BCM semi-auto BCG lying around that I bought for backup and never used, so I'm giving that to him to get him started.

jvencius
03-12-11, 22:16
What's driving the need for a rail? Your buddy would probably be better off going with a set of MOE handguards at first since he could then afford a rear sight and some mags/ammo.

maximus83
03-12-11, 22:26
Good point, I guess he could swap out the rail, it's a pretty expensive item.

What would he be giving up, by switching to these plastic-type handguards? I've never used them.

Icculus
03-12-11, 22:56
If you need to shave a few more dollars you could make it a BCM blem lower with their m4 stock and save another $90. You'd give up the emod though. I didn't look at the other complete lower to see what other options it may include such as QD endplate, etc. so that could skew this figure slightly.

EDIT: you mentioned sights above on the list of still to get after already passing the $1K mark. Don't forget a sling too--which could be purchased with the saved $90 from above. He's already saving a chunk with you providing the bcg but as posted above moe hand guards would also save extra cost. Oh and since he's not ordering the bcg/ch combo, might as well through in gunfighter:D

SteadyUp
03-12-11, 23:01
I'd recommend either a standard or MOE handguard instead of the DD rail. That will save some cash, and if he wants to mount a light on the gun, there are mounts that attach to the front sight, or to the MOE handguard.

But I don't see a 100% "need" for a rail on a home defense/all around AR. But I'm an AR noob, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Iraqgunz
03-12-11, 23:09
Yes, you could make changes and lose some of the cost. Mentioned already were the rails, and blemished BCM lower. But, how will he feed it and care for it once he has it?

Ammo and mags cost money as well.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm 489.00

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/156.htm 304.00

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-MID-Length-Handguard-BLACK-p/mag418%20blk.htm 33.20

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MBUS-Rear-Back-Up-Iron-Sight-Black-p/mag246%20black.htm 55.05

Travis B
03-13-11, 00:21
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

With a blem lower and M4 stock you've knocked off $100 from the original lower.

Nightvisionary
03-13-11, 11:07
You would be way better off just purchasing a Spikes LE mid length. If you use the ar15 discount code it's under $800.

Quentin
03-13-11, 11:59
You would be way better off just purchasing a Spikes LE mid length. If you use the ar15 discount code it's under $800.

You can't be serious saying you're better off with Spikes over BCM!

Travis B
03-13-11, 12:00
You can't be serious saying you're better off with Spikes over BCM!

Here we go again....https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54922

slomo
03-13-11, 14:31
Why not look at a complete rifle. BCM lists several basic models listed at a visit to McDonald's more than $1000.

jklaughrey
03-13-11, 14:39

Quit shilling! You must work for Spikes!

nimdabew
03-13-11, 15:03
Quit shilling! You must work for Spikes!

And does everyone else work for G&R Tactical? That guy has his own preference and you have yours. I won't ever give Spikes my money, but I have my own circle of distrubitors that I frequent and I lead people towards them if someone asks me who I buy through.

ETA: Grant, I didn't mean to specifically single you and your company out, I was just using it as an example because people don't blink when they recommend your company. Spikes has been given a bad rap, and rightfully so IMO, but it would be a bit of a double standard to jump on one persons opinion because it goes against public opinion based on which forum you are posting it on (ie TOS liking Spikes)

jklaughrey
03-13-11, 15:23
And does everyone else work for G&R Tactical? That guy has his own preference and you have yours. I won't ever give Spikes my money, but I have my own circle of distrubitors that I frequent and I lead people towards them if someone asks me who I buy through.

ETA: Grant, I didn't mean to specifically single you and your company out, I was just using it as an example because people don't blink when they recommend your company. Spikes has been given a bad rap, and rightfully so IMO, but it would be a bit of a double standard to jump on one persons opinion because it goes against public opinion based on which forum you are posting it on (ie TOS liking Spikes)

You must not have read the rest of his posts. Do some research before you decide to chime in please.

I'll help you out, this is what I consider being a shill. RP88 makes a statement, NV claims Spike can beat a BCM build w/o proof or validation of said statement. Get a clue Nimba!

RP88
with BCM, you can build a 100% milspec rifle for maybe $850.
Going by price versus quality versus value, nothing can beat that, except maybe a good Daniel Defense package.
And in terms of parts and uppers, their diverse product line and prices on them is amazing. A complete BCM upper runs less than what most tier 2 and lower uppers go for, and have double the quality.
That is why they are so popular. Also, I speak from experience that their customer service is quick and professional.

Nightvisionary
Actually Spikes beats it. Their milspec standards and processes are well documented and the M-4 or Mid length carbines can be had for about $800.

tacdrivrnc
03-13-11, 17:18
I wrote this somewhere else recently, but it applies here too:
I just finished piecing together a couple of middys for considerably less than I could have bought complete guns. Shipping was fast and had the guns assembled within 5 days of placing the orders. Bravo Company (complete uppers- one minus a handguard- and blemished lowers- significant savings), DSGarms (sights, MOE handguard and sling mounts- plus their discount and Going Green sale), and Midway (Geiselle triggers on sale, but now out-of-stock and now not-on-sale) had excellent prices on the items I wanted, and excellent customer service. And that included getting an Aimpoint from Botach.
As an example:
$535 one middy upper with fcg
$277 blem lower shipped
$30 Magpul MOE handguard
$25 Magpul ASAP sling plate
$20 Magpul RSA front sling thing
$55 Magpul rear BUIS
$14 Magpul EMag
$15 Magpul front grip
Total $971 not counting shipping
There ya go...a basic "enhanced" solid shooter of a gun!
Or just the upper, lower, and handguard for $850...just add a rear sight...hard to beat that!

justin_247
03-13-11, 18:47
Stick with the BCM from G&R Tactical and don't look back. There are some things you can cut that will save you a lot of money:

- go for the BCM blemished lower
- just get a standard carbine stock or a MOE stock instead of the EMOD
- instead of rails just get a MOE handguard

Don't forget about the rear BUIS!

Use all that extra money you just saved to buy a sling, magazines, and ammo.

Clint
03-13-11, 18:50
Also helping a buddy spec out a rifle, trying to get him started on the right foot.

What's the best route to get an A5 tube etc included on that BCM lower?

Or is the A5 still a DIY affair?

jackblack73
03-13-11, 22:43
I wrote this somewhere else recently, but it applies here too:
I just finished piecing together a couple of middys for considerably less than I could have bought complete guns. Shipping was fast and had the guns assembled within 5 days of placing the orders. Bravo Company (complete uppers- one minus a handguard- and blemished lowers- significant savings), DSGarms (sights, MOE handguard and sling mounts- plus their discount and Going Green sale), and Midway (Geiselle triggers on sale, but now out-of-stock and now not-on-sale) had excellent prices on the items I wanted, and excellent customer service. And that included getting an Aimpoint from Botach.
As an example:
$535 one middy upper with fcg
$277 blem lower shipped
$30 Magpul MOE handguard
$25 Magpul ASAP sling plate
$20 Magpul RSA front sling thing
$55 Magpul rear BUIS
$14 Magpul EMag
$15 Magpul front grip
Total $971 not counting shipping
There ya go...a basic "enhanced" solid shooter of a gun!
Or just the upper, lower, and handguard for $850...just add a rear sight...hard to beat that!

BCM prices have gone up, so you're not going to be able to do it for that price anymore.

tacdrivrnc
03-14-11, 00:14
BCM prices have gone up, so you're not going to be able to do it for that price anymore.

just did it last week...but it does look like the blem lowers just went up about $30 since then. The upper I used is still in stock, but I think you could add the BCG and charging handle for $135...I don't know if that option is still available.
So it looks like it might cost around $900 now. :(

jklaughrey
03-14-11, 00:16
just did it last week...but it does look like the blem lowers just went up about $30 since then. The upper I used is still in stock, but I think you could add the BCG and charging handle for $135...I don't know if that option is still available.

No worries for most here. 100 dollars is a drop to rest easy your rifle will be gtg versus buying for 800 from the "other guy".

jackblack73
03-14-11, 02:39

That's what I mean. The blem lowers have gone up $20, and you can no longer add the BCG and CH for $135. Buying the BCG and CH separately is about $163. So total you're paying about $50 more now. Still a good deal, but I'm glad I bought mine when I did.

yunggunz
03-16-11, 14:14
I too thought that a decent 1st tier AR would cost me under $1000. It can if you dont get what you want. If it is a KISS, then yes, but then ammo, mags, accessories, etc add up fast. My BRD has gone from $600 to around $2k. And I still want more optics.

Just realize that what you spend on an AR, does not equate to that is all you will spend. I read somewhere that BRD is like barbies for men. Always new stuff to try out.

nowayout
03-16-11, 14:51
For $999 here http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65212