PDA

View Full Version : Super Sniper - Keep looking for something better anywhere close to the price

Pontif
03-13-11, 08:34
I have a fixed 20X Super Sniper that I purchased 6 years ago. I have run it against some really high end scopes, and against some lower end scopes that are still more expensive than the SS.

The Leupolds, S&B's, Nightforce and other $1200 - $3000 have better clarity. But not by much. Also, the focusing is a bit sloppy compared to the top end glass. In extreme light, you definitely need an extension.

HOWEVER, I bought this thing on sale for $300. The difference in the SS and the higher costing scopes is so marginal, I can't justify the difference in cost.

Now, I say all this with bias - obviously. I love this scope, and I am considering purchasing a fixed 16X for a custom build. The upper on the rifle is basically a VLTOR VIS3 with an 18" noveske barrel. I am not cutting corners on this build.

What is your opinion on the SS. I guess I am caught in the "gotta spend your ass off" to get a great gun syndrome. From what I have seen, personally, I just cannot justify the cost difference.

Give me your opinion. Remember, I am sinking a ton into the very best custom build that I can make. Slap me around if you think I am way off base, or let me know the positives of the Super Sniper that you are aware of.

Thanks

William Pope (Pontif)

ASH556
03-14-11, 10:09
What you haven't mentioned, and IMO, the most important part of any mid-long range glass is repeatability of adjustments (tracking). I've seen a SS that wouldn't track worth anything. I'm not sure how yours does or if you've ever used it in that capacity. If you just want a scope that is reasonably clear and will hold a zero, probably look at a Bushnell Elite target scope. If you're going to use it in a more "dynamic" role, pony up for what will work.

Pontif
03-14-11, 17:41
I will work with the scope to see how it performs. Honestly, I am gaining understanding of the technical aspects of the glass out there.

I will take it and go through the drills.

Bimmer
03-14-11, 21:19
If you want to test your adjustments, then do a "box test" (look it up).

HOWEVER, I bought this thing on sale for $300. The difference in the SS and the higher costing scopes is so marginal, I can't justify the difference in cost.

From what I have seen, personally, I just cannot justify the cost difference...

You said it twice, and I'll say it a third time: I can't justify paying more than $300 for a scope.

My Nikon Monarchs cost less than $250, and they're pretty great.

My sense is that the returns diminish VERY rapidly once one spends more than $250 or $300.

13MPG
03-15-11, 01:12
I had one of the SS 10x scopes and for a $300 scope I thought it did fine. It tracked well and held it’s zero on my 700P win in 300 win-mag.

BaileyMoto
03-15-11, 02:41
Depends on the scope. Find a $300 scope with mil turrets, illumination, zerostop, and FFP (or just mil turrets) and I will supply the trash can to put said scope in. There are some scopes that come in under 1k, such as the bushell 4200s and the new PST, but they are a far cry from $300

If all you desire is a hunting scope with no frills, then sure, $300 can afford a decent/ basic scope like an entry level Leupold or something of similar quality and build. Some jobs and requirements require much more

IMO, the "sweet spot" is about 1k for a scope with the frills that will offer durability, quality glass, and most importantly - repeatability of adjustments. After that, it seems you are paying for much more minor improvements.

austinN4
03-15-11, 07:12
Now, I say all this with bias - obviously. I love this scope, and I am considering purchasing a fixed 16X for a custom build.
Saw one for sale (not mine) here: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37388

Pontif
03-15-11, 07:39
Appreciate the heads up. Sent PM

goalie
03-15-11, 15:22
I had a fixed 10x SS (rear-focus) on my lightweight shellholder action (State Arms Shorty) .50 BMG for a while (175 rounds at least) and it held up just fine. While the clicks were not EXACTLY 1/4 MOA, they were repeatable and it shot the box just fine.

I still have it on a .308 Savage 10FP. It is a good scope for what it is, and as long as you are not looking to shoot in low-light, it can run with the big boys for certain applications.

It is not the equal to my Nightforce glass, but it is a tool I would put on a serious rifle without reservation. It holds zero and the mil-dot reticle works for me.

KAC Lover
03-15-11, 16:17
Depends on the scope. Find a $300 scope with mil turrets, illumination, zerostop, and FFP (or just mil turrets) and I will supply the trash can to put said scope in. There are some scopes that come in under 1k, such as the bushell 4200s and the new PST, but they are a far cry from $300

If all you desire is a hunting scope with no frills, then sure, $300 can afford a decent/ basic scope like an entry level Leupold or something of similar quality and build. Some jobs and requirements require much more

IMO, the "sweet spot" is about 1k for a scope with the frills that will offer durability, quality glass, and most importantly - repeatability of adjustments. After that, it seems you are paying for much more minor improvements.

I think the sweet spot is relative to each individual's needs. For me personally I've been perfectly happy with a Nikon Monarch on my 30-06 that I pull out about 3 times a year and only in November. For my competition guns I'm a Hensoldt fan, although I also am pretty fond of the NF 5.5-22. Other guys may think that spending this much is a waste, others will think that NF is inadequate, or that S&B is better than ZH or vice versa etc; at the end of the day you have to try everything out yourself and pick what makes YOU comfortable. If you try and base your choice off of theory alone you're never going to be satisfied with your purchase.

Supergrade
03-15-11, 17:42
It also matters what you're shooting. If it's smaller caliber you're fine. However, shooting a .338 and up may cause a problem with cheaper glass

Bimmer
03-15-11, 17:53
Find a $300 scope with mil turrets, illumination, zerostop, and FFP (or just mil turrets) and I will supply the trash can to put said scope in...

IMO, the "sweet spot" is about 1k for a scope with the frills... After that, it seems you are paying for much more minor improvements.

Agreed, but I don't need those frills (or want them, even know what I would do with them, if I had them).

For a no-frills variable scope, it sounds like we agree that $250 or $300 seems to be the point where one starts "paying for much more minor improvements."

It also matters what you're shooting. If it's smaller caliber you're fine. However, shooting a .338 and up may cause a problem with cheaper glass

I wonder about this.

AFAIK how hard a gun is depends a lot more on the recoil/cycling impulse(s) than the power of the caliber.

So, for example, over on TFL the old guys say that the M14 tends to wreck scopes because the recoil is followed by the shock of the bolt slamming back and forth, not because 7.62NATO is such a powerful cartridge.