PDA

View Full Version : The Only Japanese Earthquake Thread

Rmplstlskn
03-12-11, 08:27
Nuclear Reactor in Japan blows up... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMEV-_X5b_8)

Besides the sad effects in Japan, what does all this mean for US? The world? Our economies?

Massive coastal flooding
Highways and infrastructure shifted, moved or destroyed
One of Japan's Nuclear Reactors blows up
Other nuclear plants in danger
Coastal shipping ports severely damaged
Unshipped inventory in port areas destroyed or damaged
Long-term power supply problems (less manufacturing)
Astronomical rebuild costs & possible insurance company failures
Manpower & resources going to rebuilding rather than export and manufacturing

I am not an expert, but I think this event may be the PUSH that sends the fragile, teetering economies of the world over the edge... (Except for those that actually MAKE THINGS, like China, where business will be booming)

How will this affect japanese auto imports (I have two Toyotas and love them)? Japanese electronics (most high-end electronics are made in Japan)? Computer components (memory plants in Japan)?

The long-term effects could be terrible for us... Makes preparedness all the more important...

Rmpl

EchoMirage
03-12-11, 09:05
easy. stop buying jap. support your country, buy American, and you wont have anything to worry about.

rubberneck
03-12-11, 09:45
easy. stop buying jap. support your country, buy American, and you wont have anything to worry about.

So I should by a Ford made in Canada instead of a Honda made in Ohio? Check the window stickers of cars made today. Not only will they tell you where the car was assembled but what percentage of the cars parts were made in the United States. Ford and GM are no more "American" than Toyota and Honda. By that I mean they use the same amount of American labor and products to build the car.

To the original poster this could be really bad for the global economy. Japan is the worlds third largest economy. Any significant down turn in that economy will have a ripple effect on all the others. How bad it get's is anyones guess. We won't know for sure until that have a good idea how much damage was done and what it will take to repair it. In the short term we are going to see a spike in prices for electronics and automobiles. Oddly if Toyota and Honda's Japanese operations are significantly damaged they might start pulling cars off the US assembly lines and send them back to Japan. Good for our economy bad for the US consumer.

If the world doesn't end in 2012 I think we'll all be telling our grandkids what it was like to live through these troubled times. Two wars, a middle east bent on tearing itself apart and now a massive natural disaster only two year removed from a similar catastrophe.

500grains
03-12-11, 11:15
Some guys thought I was a nerd for having Israeli gas masks and nbc filters for the whole family including the kids.

The Cat
03-12-11, 11:27
So I should by a Ford made in Canada instead of a Honda made in Ohio? Check the window stickers of cars made today. Not only will they tell you where the car was assembled but what percentage of the cars parts were made in the United States. Ford and GM are no more "American" than Toyota and Honda. By that I mean they use the same amount of American labor and products to build the car.

Truer words - never typed.

tgace
03-12-11, 11:32
If there is a demand for a product someone will make it and make money. This could be an opportunity for US electronic manufacturers. If the government would allow it....

Paraclete comes
03-12-11, 13:12
Very good idea to have a set of mopp gear or at least a mask and some nukblock iodine tabs. they last years and if you live near a nuke power plant highly recommended.

DocMinster
03-12-11, 13:28
Very good idea to have a set of mopp gear or at least a mask and some nukblock iodine tabs. they last years and if you live near a nuke power plant highly recommended.

Were does a civy you aquire the aforementioned iodine tabs?

EchoMirage
03-12-11, 16:43
So I should by a Ford made in Canada instead of a Honda made in Ohio? Check the window stickers of cars made today. Not only will they tell you where the car was assembled but what percentage of the cars parts were made in the United States. Ford and GM are no more "American" than Toyota and Honda. By that I mean they use the same amount of American labor and products to build the car

what you and everyone else doesnt understand is that ford is still an AMERICAN COMPANY. regardless of where its made, when you buy a ford, GM, dodge, the money goes into the AMERICAN economy. when you buy a jap car, that money does NOT go to the US. it goes overseas to honduhs main office. they guy on the assembly line gets paid regardless if you buy that car or not. and despite you thinking the jap brands are 'made in america', look underneath the car first. youll see jap writing all over the motor, trans, diffs, everything. they are ASSEMBLED in the US, of jap/overseas parts.

if everyone bought american cars in the first place, they never would have had to subsidize and outsource, and all that money would have stayed in the american economy.

bkb0000
03-12-11, 16:58
what you and everyone else doesnt understand is that ford is still an AMERICAN COMPANY. regardless of where its made, when you buy a ford, GM, dodge, the money goes into the AMERICAN economy. when you buy a jap car, that money does NOT go to the US. it goes overseas to honduhs main office. they guy on the assembly line gets paid regardless if you buy that car or not. and despite you thinking the jap brands are 'made in america', look underneath the car first. youll see jap writing all over the motor, trans, diffs, everything. they are ASSEMBLED in the US, of jap/overseas parts.

if everyone bought american cars in the first place, they never would have had to subsidize and outsource, and all that money would have stayed in the american economy.

im afraid i dont buy any of this.. all of these companies are conglomerates made up of hundreds of millions of investors, and some executives with million-dollar salaries. i supposed the argument can be made that some of these investors, if they see a gain in their investment, and if they're American, might go out and buy something in America with the money they make. the same can be said for ANY publicly traded company, though- "foreign" included. but instead they'll probably just buy more shit made in china, imported by more conglomerates. and the executives spend half their money overseas.

what would be much, much, much better for America would be to simply employ Americans, thereby paying tens of thousands of Americans, who then spend all their money in America, and hopefully on things made IN America, because THEY, of all people, understand the importance of actually buying American, not just buying shit that USED to be American.

you can't "buy American" with cars anymore... so dont bother trying. the only way you can avoid making foreigners money is not NOT buy, which i've been doing for the last 12 years (yes, same truck).

rubberneck
03-12-11, 18:08

This thread isn't about buying "American" products only but even if it were you would still be completely wrong. Frankly your grasp of macroeconomics isn't very good. In this case you are looking at the forest and not seeing the trees. 85% of the parts used in the Honda's sold in this country come from US parts vendors. According to Honda they use 540 different US parts vendors in the production of a single car. The profit those companies make stay here in the united states. The suppliers of the raw materials to those vendors keep their profits here. The auto dealerships that sell the cars are American. Their profits stay here. The rail lines and long haulers that move the cars from the plant to the dealerships are American owned and those profits stay here. And all the employees of those vendors, suppliers and dealers keep their money here.

The amount of profit realized from selling those cars isn't nearly as much as you think it is and even then when the money gets back to "Honduhs" world headquarters the profits go to the shareholders in the form of dividends. Since Honda is a publicly traded company a good percentage of those dividends often come right back to US institutional investors. Just as some of Ford's profit heads overseas to international investors.

Thomas M-4
03-12-11, 19:59

You can check a local health food store.

500grains
03-12-11, 20:45
20 bucks here:

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Potassium-Iodide-Tablets/dp/B000GFHP8E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299984237&sr=8-3

You can check a local health food store.

hatidua
03-12-11, 20:54

No sale.

Thomas M-4
03-12-11, 21:33
20 bucks here:

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Potassium-Iodide-Tablets/dp/B000GFHP8E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299984237&sr=8-3

Yea its online too but my local health food store actually has it also.
Its just me a try to help the local stores out when I can. If I can not find it easily locally I will go straight to the net to order it ;)
Hell my local sporting goods store started selling 62 grain green tip because I kept asking about it. There prices for it are actually really close to what I would pay on line just a few cents more but they sell XM80 7.62x51 a full dollar cheaper than what ammunition to go advertises.:secret:

HETZ1313
03-12-11, 21:59
Beprepared.com has what your looking for.

Czecher
03-13-11, 09:05

You can check this site (http://www.ki4u.com/). A little over the top perhaps but they have a lot of faq's on KI (potassium Iodide) tablets and lots of other radiation gizmos that no self respecting prepper should be without. :confused: They also talk about something called KIO3 (potassium iodate) which is similar in nature but has less bitter taste. Considered an alternative for kids that can't/won't take the nasty KI pills.

http://www.ki4u.com/#1

KI is one of those things that may not help in all cases but I personally don't want to be standing in line for it ever. That never goes well.

EchoMirage
03-13-11, 09:42
This thread isn't about buying "American" products only but even if it were you would still be completely wrong. Frankly your grasp of macroeconomics isn't very good. In this case you are looking at the forest and not seeing the trees. 85% of the parts used in the Honda's sold in this country come from US parts vendors. According to Honda they use 540 different US parts vendors in the production of a single car. The profit those companies make stay here in the united states. The suppliers of the raw materials to those vendors keep their profits here. The auto dealerships that sell the cars are American. Their profits stay here. The rail lines and long haulers that move the cars from the plant to the dealerships are American owned and those profits stay here. And all the employees of those vendors, suppliers and dealers keep their money here.

The amount of profit realized from selling those cars isn't nearly as much as you think it is and even then when the money gets back to "Honduhs" world headquarters the profits go to the shareholders in the form of dividends. Since Honda is a publicly traded company a good percentage of those dividends often come right back to US institutional investors. Just as some of Ford's profit heads overseas to international investors.

i really dont give a damn what you think. i will never, ever own import cars, period. if it makes you sleep better to buy jap, thats your problem. my grandfather didnt hit the sand on iwo jima just so i can buy a honduh, and he'd roll in his grave if anyone in his family ever did.

K.L. Davis
03-13-11, 12:52
Please keep in all in here...

Abraxas
03-13-11, 13:10
Boy did this thread go sideways.

rubberneck
03-13-11, 13:17

There's always one poster who thinks it's all about them or can't resist the urge to tell everyone how superior their worldview is to everyone else. The original poster asked a fairly straight forward question. It's too bad one person couldn't answer it honestly.

K.L. Davis
03-13-11, 16:30

And there is really no saving it.. so it was quarantined here and will be allowed to eat itself in entirety. If anyone wants one of their posts deleted from this thread, just edit it to say so...

SuperiorDG
03-14-11, 09:13
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-571107?hpt=Mid

It looks like the shelves in Tokyo are being stripped. How far away from the disaster will this spread? Does this show us that if a disaster where to occur somewhere in the US, areas not directly effected could see scarcity of essentials.

It makes me wonder.

Armati
03-14-11, 10:44
In an attempt to get this thread back on track...

I don't think the long term or global effect of this can completely be known yet.

Short term, we have already seen a few things. US stocks ticked up while Japanese stocks took a tumble. Good signs for the US economy? Maybe.

Oil took a bit of a dip because large sections of Japanese roads cannot be driven on. All of the affected areas will have very little in the way of real economic activity going on so there will be less demand for oil in Japan at least for the short term. Japan is one of the worlds largest oil importers. Of course for the US, lower oil prices will improve our economy.

As for preparedness, I think some lessons can already be learned. Japan culturally does not horde large quantities of anything. The are masters of saving space and do have large pantries, basements, sheds, and garages like we have in the US. There is not Japanese equivalent to a trip to Cosco or the Super WalMart. Your average US household most likely already has a few weeks worth of supplies on hand at any one time if they use their resources wisely. The Japanese do not shop this way or horde supplies this way. No Japanese household will ever have a 24 pack of TP and a case of tuna fish on hand. Japan is very sensitive to supply disruptions.

I think this is a very good learning point. Disaster can strike at any time, without warning, and the effects can be intense, wide spread, and profound. Plan accordingly.

sixgun-symphony
03-14-11, 11:19
China will gain the most.

B Cart
03-14-11, 11:30
It's hard to say exactly what the effects will be on the economies of the world. As for good things we can take from this, it has at least made me re-evaluate my emergency preparedness gear and tactics. Watching the videos of the destruction just reinforces how quickly things can turn very bad. I'm realizing that, if something like that were to ever happen here, we probably won't have the time or opportunity to get the essentials to survive. Looks like I need to stock up a little better on a few items!

Czecher
03-14-11, 12:33
I did a search for "oildrum" and did not see any prior mention of this website so I offer it up now:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7638

I became addicted to this feed during the BP GOM spill and found the information there to be incredible. The site is primarily about the concept of peak oil but they cover many other aspects of world energy.

The threads are a little annoying in they run one topic every day or so and post a thousand replies in a mile long string. It can be hard to follow but you get used after a while. The primary topic is usually written by economists or SME's but they are pretty easy to understand.

Similar to this site, they have experts and newbies. I know where I belong on both forums so I try to keep quiet but I hope someone here can find some valuable info on this other source.

I have found that developing stories like this earthquake and the oilspill to hit that forum hours (even days) before you read it on the traditional news outlets. I also find the details to be far more in depth and accurate in my opinion.

This meltdown thing is literally making me lose sleep.

CZ

ffhounddog
03-14-11, 13:22
It is hilarious how they are making such a big deal about people being contaminated. You can be extremely, head to toe, horribly contaminated and not have it pose a significant health risk. You just get scrubbed down with cold water and soap and problem solved... Ok, yeah you'll get an a little extra dose while you are contaminated, and potentially beta burns in extreme cases such as right after a bomb strike, but the deep tissue dose is going to be relatively small.

Czecher
03-14-11, 14:09
You just get scrubbed down with cold water and soap and problem solved...

I guess that works as long as you can find the soap. The cold water should be plentiful. Seems like there are a lot of people digging around in debris covered fields of mud where their houses used to be. I wonder how many of them REALLY know what is going on around them without having internet or news like we do here.

Hopefully some are informed enough to travel away from the plant that just blew up...but which direction do you travel to avoid running into the next one?

Makes the bug-out concept a bit more complex.

Here is some news from the Japan papers (http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/hydrogen-explosion-occurs-at-fukushima-no-1-nuclear-power-plant). Looks like the number 2 plant is next to go. The last blast from #3 took out some equipment keeping the #2 alive. Sounds like things are not going well there.

Does anyone else predict that they will be dumping concrete from helicopters in the near future?:(

Rmplstlskn
03-14-11, 21:48
All of the vendors of iOSAT, KI, KIO3 are SOLD OUT till who knows when...

Such an inexpensive prep item ($10 for 14 tablets of iOSAT) is now almost impossible to find...

The more pics I see, the more I think Japan will take YEARS to recover from this. The hardest hit areas maybe even a DECADE... But you can not replace the LIVES lost... Japan has lost some great people I'm sure.

Rmpl

SuperiorDG
03-15-11, 08:30
"In towns and cities, fearful citizens stripped shelves of food and water, prompting the government to warn that panic-buying could hurt its ability to provide aid to areas devastated...

"scared Tokyo residents filled outbound trains and rushed to shops to stock up on face masks and emergency supplies amid heightening fears of radiation headed their way."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110315/wl_afp/japanquake

It seems that panic buying is setting in. It's even showing up here, yesterday I looked up Potassium Iodide and found some, now it's all gone or almost gone.

rubberneck
03-15-11, 08:45
All of the vendors of iOSAT, KI, KIO3 are SOLD OUT till who knows when...

Such an inexpensive prep item ($10 for 14 tablets of iOSAT) is now almost impossible to find...

The more pics I see, the more I think Japan will take YEARS to recover from this. The hardest hit areas maybe even a DECADE... But you can not replace the LIVES lost... Japan has lost some great people I'm sure.

Rmpl

Ten years after 9/11 we aren't even close to completion on rebuilding the area around ground zero. The scope of this disaster is so great that it could take Japan decades to fully recover. The issues with their reactors is the real fly in the ointment. Japan gets, IIRC, 40% of it's total electrical power from Nuclear power plants. With three reactors are on the brink of a full meltdown, who knows when they can replace that capacity to their national power grid. That energy is desperately needed not only for daily life but to power their industry. It isn't inconceivable to see Japan's GDP to drop significantly over the next decade. The real winners will be China and Korea who suddenly will find one of their major competitors significantly weakened. Japan will learn that once they lose ground to the Chinese they'll never get it back.

Vic303
03-15-11, 09:28
Since Japanese authorities are now stating that it appears Reactor#2 has cracked a part of the steel containment vessel, the chances of a severe release of radiation will occur.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/developing-another-explosion-heard-at-troubled-fukushima-nuclear-reactor/

The long term effects of such a release will tell on the youth of Japan if they are exposed. I would anticipate in abnormal increase in thyroid cancers, leukemias and possibly lung cancers (if the hot particulates get airborne).

Remember too, that the IOSAT type pills are mostly for your kids....not for you. Those of us over 40 will typically die from something else, before thyroid cancer can kill us.

Czecher
03-15-11, 10:17
For anyone that is truly concerned about KI supplies, it might be helpful to also know that you can brew your own from a different angle:

http://www.ki4u.com/plan_b.htm

Redundancy is always good whether it be firearms, food or fuel. My thinking is 1) use the gov't supply of pills if they knock on my door and hand it out in time, 2) use my own supply of pills when (not if) #1 doesn't happen 3) if I run out of pills in step #2 start with my own concoction.

As the article states, with a 125gram or 500gram bottle of KI crystals you can literally make thousands of doses and be the hero of your family/neighborhood/small town. You'll quickly see that the mark-up on the commercial pills is astounding but that is the price of convenience.

If you can mix and measure powder and water you can do this. I hate to use to the "Kool-Aid" analogy but it's dang close.

There is mention of mixing the liquid with honey or soda or "etc". I'm thinking my version of "etc" is Jack Daniels but that is personal choice. Survival doesn't have to be miserable in all cases.:D

FWIW I'm not so much concerned about the current Japan issue blowing my way. I live near Chicago downwind from at least three operating plants that could someday become issues (Byron, Braidwood, Dresden). Several more downstate and across the lake. This isn't a time to panic but it is always wise to know your surroundings and threats and plan accordingly.

Edit: To further confirm the run on this supply, I just found this article (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/drug-stores-report-sudden-increase-potassium-iodide-sales/) describing the panic phenomenon. The jars in the photo look like the "homebrew" materials I was mentioning above. Might be too late for that stuff as well.

RAM Engineer
03-15-11, 12:10
So what is the preferred organization to donate to, in order to help the people affected? Red Cross? Salvation Army?

I'm looking for a .org that will have the greatest percentage of my dollars making to the people who need it and not eaten up in overhead.

Thanks,
Jason

Vic303
03-15-11, 12:53
Not totally certain Jason, but I expect that the two you listed will be more direct in their application of funds to the problems at hand. SA has been in Japan doing work since 1895.

Czecher
03-15-11, 17:19
I was watching one of the cable news channels and they had Yoko Ono on as a guest. Could not believe she would get picked as the spokesperson for this cause but oh well. Her suggestion was to give to the Red Cross because she claimed there was no other organization yet established to provide relief efforts there. ?

So that is per Yoko Ono. I'd be inclined to support either org as previously stated. I don't think it would be a mistake to give to S.A. It will be put to the proper use.

Irish
03-15-11, 17:27
Reactor 4 is currently on fire. 5 & 6 are being reported as "heating up". Up to the minute reporting on the situation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Irish
03-15-11, 17:30
Story on reactor 4 catching fire here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12754883

I think this is going to end up being much more serious than was first anticipated, but I hope I'm wrong.

Armati
03-15-11, 18:53
One thing that people should take away from this is just what SHTF looks like. Historically, many systems fail at once causing a cascade of disaster. Many folks prepare for only one or two contingencies but are often not prepared for multiple system failures.

I would add this whole Japan thing to a list of lessons learned like the LA Riots, Katrina, 911 in NYC, and the riots in Egypt.

Imagine if New Madrid erupted. Almost nothing and no one in that region is prepared for an earthquake.

Disaster has a way of coming out of nowhere and being worse than anyone expected.

Code7inoaktown
03-15-11, 19:13
This thread is getting back on topic, people are making posts that contribute and offer substance. This post did neither.

Czecher
03-16-11, 09:38
I would add this whole Japan thing to a list of lessons learned like the LA Riots, Katrina, 911 in NYC, and the riots in Egypt.

No doubt about that!!! Although some might consider it
obsessing, I think it is nearly impossible to overthink possible conditions one might have to face.

You can plan and stock all the supplies you'll need for a year in the hopes you can ride out the storm, but if your house is reduced to a pile of sticks and relocated 4 miles away you're right back to square one. Now what do you do?

It also seems that the popular notion of the 72 hour bag is perhaps a bit on the optimistic side. Better than nothing but you may need a few of them. Hoping that help will arrive in that timeframe has not been anywhere close to right in the aforementioned incidents. It's approaching a week in Japan and folks are wondering where the food and water is. It seems like there is a lot of room to land a helicopter where all those houses used to stand. Katrina was no different.

I'm not expecting a tsunami off Lake Michigan but I am on that New Madrid fault zone with at least 11 operating nukes to my left. I'm thinking it's time to park some stuff other than in my basement!! The primary plan is to get home, but what if there isn't one?

Maybe it's time for the shtf file cabinet here at the office. Plan B, C and D.

Code7inoaktown
03-16-11, 16:40
This thread is getting back on topic, people are making posts that contribute and offer substance. This post did neither.

You're right...I was wrong...

So, is there much anyone can truly do to prepare for an NBC event of this proportion?

Armati
03-16-11, 19:04
As in always the case, your knowledge will be more important than anything. Even if you lose everything, a good 'survivalist' will know how to re-purpose everything. This is happening right now in Japan. As a highly organized culture, people are self-organizing and setting priorities of work. The 'men folk' are cutting old oil drums with hand tools to make stoves to boil water. They are using the scrap lumber from the wreckage as firewood. The women are gathering supplies and taking an inventory.

As for NBC (now called CBRNE in the biz) the best thing you can do is to get far away. Baring this, don't breath the dust or otherwise ingest any contaminants. Hard radiation is only a problem right near the source. Any fallout should be washed away and skin exfoliated. I would argue that most folks who were near the affected area may, at most, have their overall lifespan shortened by a few years. In terms of survival, I would call that a success.

Remember, Kl pills are not vitamins. They are medicine for a specific problem. Unless you are near the hot zone, you will not need to take them.

bkb0000
03-16-11, 19:50
(now called CBRNE in the biz)

whats the E?

tb-av
03-16-11, 19:56
From Wiki:
"The e in this term represents the enhanced (improvised) explosives threat.[1]"

Armati
03-16-11, 21:59
Yes, the E is for non-nuclear WMD - think 911, Oklahoma City, or the BLU-82 'daisy cutter.' In other words, conventional explosions so large that conventional rules for explosive no longer apply.

Rmplstlskn
03-17-11, 08:51
Not sure if it has been posted in M4C yet, but a good site...

Radiation Network (http://radiationnetwork.com/)

Rmpl

Artos
03-17-11, 09:27
some before and after pics....scroll over the pictures.

Think these folks care where anything is made right now:rolleyes:

The company i rep in mexico makes a commodity that goes into generators...the entire day was spent on how to aquire more material & increase output for two models we assumed they need in Japan due to the devestation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~

Smedley
03-17-11, 12:01
Has anyone noticed that the Japanese are not looting or going crazy in the streets etc.? Seems like they're acting very civilized in a not so civilized situation. Waiting patiently in supply lines, etc. ... Why is this?

Irish
03-17-11, 12:39
Has anyone noticed that the Japanese are not looting or going crazy in the streets etc.? Seems like they're acting very civilized in a not so civilized situation. Waiting patiently in supply lines, etc. ... Why is this?

The Japanese culture is very different from ours. There are postives and negatives that come along with it. Part of the reason they aren't looting is the fact that they wouldn't want to humiliate themselves, their family or lose face by acting inappropriately. It would be improper and therefore you don't do it.

This has some interesting information that might appeal to you http://www.thejapanfaq.com/FAQ-Primer.html. However, it barely scratches the surface.

Phazuka
03-18-11, 00:00
Observe how the Japanese haven't rioted. They have pulled together helping one another. They have organized themselves into communites and organized their shelters. They were conserving and rationing supplies and assigning duties for critical jobs like cooking food, boiling water, CLEANING, and gathering supplies. The business owners in the area like restaurant owners are opening their businesses and supplying hot food for free, opening their drink and snack vending machines for the survivors, gas station owners giving away their gas or kerosene or syphoning their own POV's to supply the shelters. Did any of this happen in NOLA? What did they do their shelter in the Superdome? If it were the Japanese staying there it would have come out cleaner than it was to start with. I don't think there is a possibility a cholera break out like in Haiti. The Japanese will keep everything CLEAN and tidy.

Some interesting observations on this natural disaster and how to prepare. Prepare for your enviornment. For me, I live near a nuke plant and in tornado alley so I prepare for tornados and the possible meltdown. That's how I prepare my gear towards.

Tornados/mass blackout - 1 months worth of canned foods like soups, chef boy r dee, several cases of ramen noodles and cup o' noodles. A case or two of MRE's. several plastic 55gal water drums full of drinking water. Magneto lanterns, lights, radios, cell phone chargers, cb base station.....the plan for a tornado/mass power outage is to stay in place (unless all that's left is a foundation) and guard the fort. If there is looting and rioting, organize the neighbors into a community watch and block the road/man a checkpoint at the entrance to our culdesac. Link with the neighbors in communication.

For a possible meltdown - MOPP gear, decon procedures, 30 day supply of iodide tables, gas mask and several filters, dosemeter badges and an old civil defense gieger counter. The plan of action here is to bug out of dodge in the first 6-12 hours and get out of the exclusion zone.

Czecher
03-18-11, 10:01
Prepare for your environment.

Yep. It takes some broad thinking to consider your true risks. Ice storms can also do a great deal of wide-spread damage to power grids as demonstrated in Quebec a few years back. The Japan episode shows how long it can take to put a new power line in place....even when you're the power company trying to power-up a power plant.

I kinda figured this was coming... Talk of the concrete tomb (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20044648-503543.html)

For me, the 60 plus freight trains that roll thru my town each and every day are more concerning than the nukes but they are both in my top ten. Good Morning America had coverage this morning of a plant southwest of Chicago. "Nothing to worry about people...but lets circle around in a helicopter just to prove our point" Any wonder why there is a crazy hysteria about KI pills? :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath and count to ten. It's good to be ready for stuff but you also have to keep perspective. (Gotta run now. I have a bombshelter to dig in the back yard!!)

Phazuka
03-19-11, 02:24
A good video piece done by PBS News Hour on the Tsunami shelter life and the survivors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88nMROVzWE

Have an escape route that you can navigate by foot if need be. If you live in suburban or urban areas, plan for traffic and ditch the ride if you get bogged down and you need immediate escape from the area. If you are constantly on the move, keep looking for the next place of shelter, the next safe place, the next safe route, dont follow the sheeple off a cliff when you know there is another safe path. Know where your safe area is, where your rally point is for your family if you get seperated, who to contact in an emergency. have all this planned ahead of time and practice it or at least discuss it with your family and make sure they all have means of communication even if it's a spare FRS radio in the car or bag. Make sure your wife and kids have their own bug out bags, don't have your BOB and gear all ready to go and your family is caught with their pants down. Make sure they all know the plan.

Robryan
04-23-11, 01:04
I think this is the best short video that shows the grief the earthquake has caused. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sYOdN560c

greatblade
06-06-11, 03:13
Did you go to college?

greatblade
06-06-11, 03:17

Not from NJ?:p

Clarkm
07-16-11, 06:50
Observe how the Japanese haven't rioted. They have pulled together helping one another.

You find the same in rural America when there is a disaster (and FEMA is nowhere in sight). It is the "entitlement" segment of our population that riots and loots. These are the same people doing flash mobs. Sometimes I yearn for a mini apocalypse which will rid us of those vermin.