PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on mount

ILRedneck
03-13-11, 18:09
Ok, I'm ordering the parts for my upper build, and I've got everything spec'd out except the scope mount. I'm trying to figure out which mount I need for the right eye relief and vertical positioning of a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x scope. This isn't meant to be used as a hard use rifle and I don't need quick detach since I'm not going to have BUIS on it. Again, it's a range toy, I've got the hard use carbine covered (Colt 6940). I've seen Rock River mounts at the LGS, and I've looked at LaRue and ADM mount, think Burris makes one too. I just don't want to order one and have to send it back and try again. Thanks for any help.

Rosco Benson
03-14-11, 20:14
I have an Armalite mount on a dedicated prairie dog AR (like yours, no BUIS, mine has an A2 buttstock). The mount cantilevers the front ring far enough forward to get the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief. The Burris P.E.P.R. mount is similar, although I think I'd avoid the snaggy railed upper ring halves unless I had need of mounting something atop the primary optic. Nikon also has a similar mount that they are calling the "M223". It has 20 MOA of slope built into it. I'm not sure what you would be shooting at with a .223 that would need 20 MOA built into the base though.

LaRue, ADM, and Bobro also have QD mounts for this application. Seems wasteful to pay extra for QD capability that you aren't going to use it though.

Use blue Locktite on your fasteners and enjoy.

Rosco