PDA

View Full Version : CMMG 11.5 upper

jacketch
09-19-07, 19:12
I have the opportunity to obtain a factory CMMG upper with CL 1/7 11.5" barrel, M4 cuts, F marked FSB and T marked receiver. It sounds like a good deal for the money but I am not personally familiar with CMMG. Do they make good gear and can I expect a reliable piece of equipment.

C4IGrant
09-19-07, 20:12
I have the opportunity to obtain a factory CMMG upper with CL 1/7 11.5" barrel, M4 cuts, F marked FSB and T marked receiver. It sounds like a good deal for the money but I am not personally familiar with CMMG. Do they make good gear and can I expect a reliable piece of equipment.

I would suggest doing a search on CMMG in this forum.

C4

SuicideHz
09-19-07, 21:07
I don't know which way Grant's suggestion will cause you to go but I've experienced one CMMG upper. It was a midlength upper, 1:7 chrome lined, F marked FSB etc.

The rifle jammed every other round. The feedramps in the chamber were too sharp and tight and were scoring and catching the copper jackets from the rounds feeding out of the left side of the mag. Many bullets were being forced back into the casing after a second pull of the charging handle.

But, an hour with a small round file smoothed them out. 600 grit sandpaper polished them up and that was the end of the problems.

But, I didn't like how the emails I sent were responded to.

This was 1 year ago this month. Things change. Some things don't. I may have gotten a lemon.

They do seem gimmicky though with a lot of the crap they come up with but then again, if 1 out of 50 ideas works, they have certainly done their part to come up with a few things that have stuck in the industry...

Paulinski
09-19-07, 21:51
There are better choices out there.

sully0812
09-20-07, 10:18
There are better choices out there.

Like what?

I ask because I also am currently in the market for an 11.5" upper and was considering the CMMG, because it seems to offer many of the things I am looking for. (Chrome lined, m4 cuts, gov't or lightweight profile)

Who else should I be looking at?

Paulinski
09-20-07, 10:21
Will one inch make a difference? Otherwise I would get and 10.5 LMT upper with either LMT or Bravo Company Bolt/Carrier Group.

4150 Steel , 1/7 Twist Rate, M4 Cuts.....Seems to fit your requirements...

sully0812
09-20-07, 10:35
Will one inch make a difference? Otherwise I would get and 10.5 LMT upper with either LMT or Bravo Company Bolt/Carrier Group.

4150 Steel , 1/7 Twist Rate, M4 Cuts.....Seems to fit your requirements...

The 10.5" look much cooler in my opinion.

But the suppressor I am planning on using will interfere with the FSB on a 10.5.

I also like the slightly increased velocity that you get from the 11.5"

Paulinski
09-20-07, 10:52
CMMG has been hit and miss - IMHO I would stay away from them.

If you set on 11.5" you can try finding Sabre Defense 11.5" barrel or Colt (AFCOM has them sometimes on the EE).

gunny
09-20-07, 12:07

Yes, they make good gear & I would recommend them to you. I'm not sure where all this hate for CMMG comes from (maybe that group barrel buy bandwagon that ticked off several members?) but mine has performed outstanding for what I use it for.

GIFFMANN
09-20-07, 12:35
Yes, they make good gear & I would recommend them to you. I'm not sure where all this hate for CMMG comes from (maybe that group barrel buy bandwagon that ticked off several members?) but mine has performed outstanding for what I use it for.

I'm the one who lost the most on that barrel buy and I have no hate for CMMG or Jeff and John. I have NEVER posted any hateful words in regards to their products, only observations that are either from personal experience or from folks I trust implicitly.

While my personal giffmann barrel has been accurate, it has had some issues with FTEs due to cases getting stuck in the chamber. This seems to be a fairly common occurance for folks. Is it complete indicative of their barrels, I don't know. But, of the feedback I have seen, it would appear that they have some issues with consisten chamber dimensions.

Heck, here's a pic of me firing my personal barrel on full auto the day I picked it up at CMMG's place. Seemed to work fine for the few hundred rounds I put downrange.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/giffmann1/DSC05238.jpg

However, time has shown me that my initial impressions were not as favorable as they perhaps should have been.

Are there good CMMG barrels out there, absolutely! Are there also barrels out there with tight chambers, absolutely!

gunny
09-20-07, 17:24
Thanks Giffman for your objective outlook on this despite having gotten a quasi bum barrel. It sounds like CMMG made a lot of bad barrels. I remember seeing a post of yours not too long ago stating the same thing you mentioned in your reply & that's the first time I've seen someone remain objective or bashless of a company who had a screw up. This is how it should be as no company is perfect. However, from what I've read over the months being a member here, some of the other gents who were part of this buy have embraced the hate so to speak. My CMMG is exactly what I want to it be. Sorry you did not get what you expected from that deal.