PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Rested

NC Buckeye
03-14-11, 08:35
In another thread, that I didn't want to hijack, there were a number of people that referred to shooting at distance from a rested position. I shoot many of my long guns rested (not bench though), but I have never considered shooting a pistol that way.

Why would one do that?

glockeyed
03-14-11, 11:12
i usually only do this when sighting in a red dot, and if the pistol has adjustable sights.

try and eliminate the loose nut behind the trigger. :cool:

JHC
03-14-11, 11:19
When getting the sights dialed in (adjutables or drifting fixed rears for windage), to try and discern the accuracy potential of gun or load, and just for fun. These are my reasons.

And in a practical sense, just as I would always use some rested position for a shot on a game animal if the rest was feasible, I would take a rest for any long precision shot if it were feasible under the circumstances. The airman that dropped the BG at 90 yds with his M9 years ago was shooting from kneeling position.

JimmyB62
03-14-11, 11:33
I may occasionally do it for fun now. 20+ years ago or so, when metallic silhouette was popular, shots were routinely taken at 200 yards with handguns. I still have the burnt pants cuff to prove it. Toppling the rams at 200 yards was tough but it certainly improved one's ability to make precision shots with a handgun.

Rosco Benson
03-14-11, 11:38
If one is shooting a pistol from prone, one can rest the bottoms of one's hands on the ground and get very steady.

Rosco