PDA

View Full Version : Glock Loaded Chamber Indicator

Linea_de_Fuego
09-19-07, 22:31
Is the Glock Loaded Chamber Indicator something that is liked, disliked or a non-issue? Most of the pistols pictured in the Glock picture thread have them.

DRich
09-20-07, 00:04
Is the Glock Loaded Chamber Indicator something that is liked, disliked or a non-issue? Most of the pistols pictured in the Glock picture thread have them.

It's a non-issue for me. I have several Glocks with them and without them. I honestly don't notice.

UVvis
09-20-07, 00:37
Same here, a non-issue.

D-gin
09-20-07, 01:16
Same here, a non-issue.

X2.......

Robb Jensen
09-20-07, 04:50
It's a non-issue. If however you do switch to one from the older style extractor, you'll have to change the 'spring loaded bearing' as well. It uses a thinner one of the same color. The 'spring loaded bearing' is the plastic piece that is on the end of the extractor spring.

spring loaded bearing colors:
black - .380, 9mm
white - .357, .40
OD - 10mm, .45

This is an old .380, 9mm non-LCI (loaded chamber indicator) spring loaded bearing.

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/images/SprngLdBrng.jpg

On the LCI one the fat end (end that touches the slide cover plate) is about 1/2 as thick.

Striker5
09-20-07, 07:34
I have one. FWIW, I don't like them. I always do a chamber check. Also, on some models (not the glock) the indicator doesn't work or work as well w/ certain brands of ammo.

Not a big deal to me, but I could see novices developing bad habits becuase of these indicators.

markm
09-20-07, 08:20
I don't have any glocks with them. You can just see if there's a round in there without drawing the slide back anyway if you're in good light.

Sry0fcr
09-20-07, 08:28
I chamber check out of habit anyway.

Linea_de_Fuego
09-20-07, 09:10
It's a non-issue. If however you do switch to one from the older style extractor, you'll have to change the 'spring loaded bearing' as well. It uses a thinner one of the same color. The 'spring loaded bearing' is the plastic piece that is on the end of the extractor spring. from gotM4

I suspected that it was a non-issue. Although one can see 'improvements' from original pistol designs through the different generations I thought this change was not one of them. It may be totally benign, but I tend to feel about this the same way I feel about series 80 vs. the series 70 1911's. I know the comparison here does not produce any difference for the Glock trigger, and this may not be a good example, but I just feel less parts here would be better.

Yojimbo
09-20-07, 09:13
It's a non-issue for me as well. I have older Glocks that don't have them a newer G19 that has it.

Eitherway, I still do a manual status check.

Robb Jensen
09-20-07, 09:28
from gotM4

I suspected that it was a non-issue. Although one can see 'improvements' from original pistol designs through the different generations I thought this change was not one of them. It may be totally benign, but I tend to feel about this the same way I feel about series 80 vs. the series 70 1911's. I know the comparison here does not produce any difference for the Glock trigger, and this may not be a good example, but I just feel less parts here would be better.

It's the same amount of parts either way, it's just important to know which extractor to use with which spring loaded bearing.