PDA

View Full Version : What is a good all around .223/.555 ammo??

kymudder08
03-14-11, 14:06
So I'm tryin to find a good all around .223/.556 ammo at around 300 per 1k round case. I found my rifle likes 62 grain wolf fmj pretty well compared to other fmj wolf grains and brown bear 55 fmj. Id like to get brass but it's so expensive. Federal is $300 for 500 rds of I think 55 or 62 grain fmj at one o local gun stores. I was looking at American eagle tactical bc I can get 200 rounds for around 80. What would you guys recommend for the best bang for your buck and be good and cheap enough for paper/steel shooting but also be sufficient enough in a shtf/home invasion situation? I see posts ab the expensive hornady tap and the like for home invasion but I don't get it, a bullet is gonna stop a person no matter what or how it's composed. Ik if i got shot im not gonna be thinkin damn, sure glad that wasnt a hornady tap... Plus I wanna have all my ammo the same so that ik how it shoots and it all shoots the same. And now lookin for mags tryin to see what's what. I want a grab an go deal.

christcorp
03-14-11, 14:29
There is SS109 (Same as M855 armor piercing) for $259.99 for 1000 rounds. Plus S/H. That's good for target shooting, but some places don't like a steel core ammo. (Steel CORE, not CASE). But i don't think it's good for home defense, hunting, or as an "All Around" round.

If you don't mind steel case ammo; then i recommend MFS. They have 62 grain SOFT POINT ammo for $239.99 for 1000 rounds. THAT INCLUDES SHIPPING!!! www.weaponsworld.com

I think it's perfect "All Around" ammo. At $4.80 a box "shipped", it's cheap enough target ammo. At 62 grains and soft point, it's excellent for hunting, coyotes, varmints, etc... As a soft point, it's also a very good round for home defense. You say your rifle will shoot wolf; so this will work for you. If I could only have 1 ammo because of finances, it would be MFS 62 grain Soft Points or Silver bear 62 grain Soft Points. The only problem with Silver Bear, is it's about $1 more per box. other than that, they are both great. Zinc coated cases. Look at the link I provided.

kerplode
03-14-11, 14:41
Widener's has Prvi M193 @ $309/1000 (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7169&dir=18|830|845) and IMI M193 @ $389/1200 (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845). I've shot a lot of both, and they both work well. I think I like the IMI a bit better, though.

Scoby
03-14-11, 15:08
Widener's has Prvi M193 @ $309/1000 (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7169&dir=18|830|845) and IMI M193 @ $389/1200 (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845). I've shot a lot of both, and they both work well. I think I like the IMI a bit better, though.

Besides steel cased ammo, these are the best deals going.

Scoby

Iraqgunz
03-14-11, 15:28
M855 is not classified as armor piercing ammunition. If it were, I believe that it would be restricted.

There is SS109 (Same as M855 armor piercing) for $259.99 for 100 rounds. Plus S/H. That's good for target shooting, but some places don't like a steel core ammo. (Steel CORE, not CASE). But i don't think it's good for home defense, hunting, or as an "All Around" round.

If you don't mind steel case ammo; then i recommend MFS. They have 62 grain SOFT POINT ammo for $239.99 for 1000 rounds. THAT INCLUDES SHIPPING!!! www.weaponsworld.com

I think it's perfect "All Around" ammo. At $4.80 a box "shipped", it's cheap enough target ammo. At 62 grains and soft point, it's excellent for hunting, coyotes, varmints, etc... As a soft point, it's also a very good round for home defense. You say your rifle will shoot wolf; so this will work for you. If I could only have 1 ammo because of finances, it would be MFS 62 grain Soft Points or Silver bear 62 grain Soft Points. The only problem with Silver Bear, is it's about $1 more per box. other than that, they are both great. Zinc coated cases. Look at the link I provided.

Iraqgunz
03-14-11, 15:32
If you do a search in the ammo section you will find plenty of discussion about ammo for training, practice, etc..

So I'm tryin to find a good all around .223/.556 ammo at around 300 per 1k round case. I found my rifle likes 62 grain wolf fmj pretty well compared to other fmj wolf grains and brown bear 55 fmj. Id like to get brass but it's so expensive. Federal is $300 for 500 rds of I think 55 or 62 grain fmj at one o local gun stores. I was looking at American eagle tactical bc I can get 200 rounds for around 80. What would you guys recommend for the best bang for your buck and be good and cheap enough for paper/steel shooting but also be sufficient enough in a shtf/home invasion situation? I see posts ab the expensive hornady tap and the like for home invasion but I don't get it, a bullet is gonna stop a person no matter what or how it's composed. Ik if i got shot im not gonna be thinkin damn, sure glad that wasnt a hornady tap... Plus I wanna have all my ammo the same so that ik how it shoots and it all shoots the same. And now lookin for mags tryin to see what's what. I want a grab an go deal.

Packman73
03-14-11, 15:32
I really like Prvi Partizan

christcorp
03-14-11, 16:29
iraqguns; you are correct. M855 isn't armor piercing. It's simply steel core. Now; what would you use it for; other than penetrating through a car door or plinking? I don't know.

But even if it was labeled "Armor Piercing" it wouldn't be illegal or banned. I bought a few cans of M2 BALL ammo for my M1 Garand, directly from the CMP, and it is specifically marked on it: "AP" for armor piercing. It is Black Tipped ammo. So I know it's not illegal or anything. It's sold all the time. Now; how thick of steel will it go through? What depth is considered "ARMOR". Hey, I gave up on following all that 10 years ago when i retired. It isn't explosive tip or anything; but it is labeled as "Armor Piercing". At least that's how the Black Tip M2 Ball ammo is labeled.

memphisjim
03-14-11, 16:32
i thought 5.56x45 was one of the calibers where armor piercing is allowed like 30-06

now for some questions does the 556 armor piercing funtion near as well ar a 30-06?

also how much do 1000 once fired brass cases generally sell for?

kerplode
03-14-11, 17:01
i thought 5.56x45 was one of the calibers where armor piercing is allowed like 30-06

now for some questions does the 556 armor piercing funtion near as well ar a 30-06?

also how much do 1000 once fired brass cases generally sell for?

As I understand it, M855/SS109 is considered exempt along with M2AP, but other flavors of 5.56x45 AP would fall under 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17)

Scharch/Top Brass (http://www.scharch.com/products.php?cat=9) has fully processed mil brass for $120/1000

Iraqgunz
03-14-11, 19:44
Surplus ammuition of certain types is exempt. Please read the laws federal and local otherwise I will have to charge you a legal consultation fee.

iraqguns; you are correct. M855 isn't armor piercing. It's simply steel core. Now; what would you use it for; other than penetrating through a car door or plinking? I don't know.

But even if it was labeled "Armor Piercing" it wouldn't be illegal or banned. I bought a few cans of M2 BALL ammo for my M1 Garand, directly from the CMP, and it is specifically marked on it: "AP" for armor piercing. It is Black Tipped ammo. So I know it's not illegal or anything. It's sold all the time. Now; how thick of steel will it go through? What depth is considered "ARMOR". Hey, I gave up on following all that 10 years ago when i retired. It isn't explosive tip or anything; but it is labeled as "Armor Piercing". At least that's how the Black Tip M2 Ball ammo is labeled.

Icculus
03-15-11, 10:51
you are correct. M855 isn't armor piercing. It's simply steel core.

Ok I could not only be wrong but also possibly splitting hairs. That being said I believe the above statement, that I see all the time, is actually incorrect. M855 is not steel "core". Yes it has a steel penetrator near the tip but it is a lead core bullet. IG or other experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just trying to make sure we maintain as correct info as possible for those who may find this thread with a search. If what I said above is incorrect I'll go back and remove this post.

kerplode
03-15-11, 12:10
18 USC sec. 921(a)(17)

(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

I'm not a lawyer, but as I read this, the SS109/M855 projectile would not be considered armor piercing and thus be exepmt from armor piercing ammunition sale/possession/use regulations due to the fact that its core is not composed entirely of steel. I also believe the M2AP was exempted because it was determined to be used "primarily for sporting purposes" (i.e. service rifle matches)

kymudder08
03-15-11, 14:53
As I understand it, M855/SS109 is considered exempt along with M2AP, but other flavors of 5.56x45 AP would fall under 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17)

Scharch/Top Brass (http://www.scharch.com/products.php?cat=9) has fully processed mil brass for $120/1000

Yea that's just the brass, not complete ammunition lol. I'm not looking to reload

kerplode
03-15-11, 15:01
memphisjim asked how much 1000 once-fired cases go for...

I gave you links to some decent loaded ammo in my first reply in this thread (Post #3)

Iraqgunz
03-15-11, 15:29
M855 has a tunsten steel penetrator and due to the design it does not meet the definition of "armor piercing" as articulated below.

Certain type of ammo have been exempted- .30 AP, .50 AP, etc...due to the surplus status.

Also, I believe that someone may have used common sense when it came to the whole rifle thing for the simple fact that most all rifle ammo can penetrate body armor. That's just a guess.

Ok I could not only be wrong but also possibly splitting hairs. That being said I believe the above statement, that I see all the time, is actually incorrect. M855 is not steel "core". Yes it has a steel penetrator near the tip but it is a lead core bullet. IG or other experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just trying to make sure we maintain as correct info as possible for those who may find this thread with a search. If what I said above is incorrect I'll go back and remove this post.

d90king
03-15-11, 15:34
I shoot a LOT of Privi and have been happy with it... I will also use cheap Winchester or Remington when my shop has ammo can deals...

Supergrade
03-15-11, 17:28
PMC is inexpensive and quality. Never have had any problems with it.

InfiniteGrim
03-15-11, 18:19
The only reason to buy brass ammo is if you are stocking it for SHTF, reloading, or going to collect all the brass and sell it. Selling the brass would still make it $20-40 more per 1k.

I will continue to suggest Silver Bear 62gr for as long as it is around. I chronoed it a few wees ago. In a 16" carbine at 50F 15ft from the muzzle it chronoed at an average of 2845fps. Note that 55gr wolf chronoed at 2880 in the same gun.

kymudder08
03-15-11, 21:11
Yea idk why ppl dog the wolf and other steel cases. I'm not gonna be able to reload if shtf anyways so doesn't really matter lol

sniperfrog
03-16-11, 12:19
[QUOTE=Iraqgunz;940239]M855 has a tunsten steel penetrator and due to the design it does not meet the definition of "armor piercing" as articulated below.

Actually it's not tungsten, it's just a steel penetrator. One of the ballistic gurus at Crane informed me of this many years ago.

Iraqgunz
03-16-11, 16:42
I stand corrected. I recall reading something or seeing some official deal that had it listed as that.

[QUOTE=Iraqgunz;940239]M855 has a tunsten steel penetrator and due to the design it does not meet the definition of "armor piercing" as articulated below.

Actually it's not tungsten, it's just a steel penetrator. One of the ballistic gurus at Crane informed me of this many years ago.

kymudder08
03-20-11, 16:03
Well I found out I can get 1000 rounds of wolf for 216

christcorp
03-20-11, 19:39
Well I found out I can get 1000 rounds of wolf for 216
And for about $10 more; (Shipping is only $9.99); you can get 1000 MFS 62 grain soft points. Better ammo all around. Plinking, varmints, hunting, home defense.
www.weaponsworld.com

tpd223
03-21-11, 11:07
A + 1 for the Privy stuff.

I have also found for cheap close range training ammo that the Tula actually works in all of my guns.

As to the AP ammo; the issue is that the .223/5.56 and 7.62X39 are available in pistols.

Seriously.

Remember when you could buy Chinese steel core Norinco 7.62 for like $69 a case?

That ammo got shut down from import due to Olympic Arms deciding to come out with a 7.62 chambered AR pistol after ATF decided 7.63 was now a psitol caliber due to being available in that gun.

This is one more reason why I don't have anything to do with Olympic.

Icculus
03-21-11, 12:31
And for about $10 more; (Shipping is only $9.99); you can get 1000 MFS 62 grain soft points. Better ammo all around. Plinking, varmints, hunting, home defense.
www.weaponsworld.com

I had never heard of mfs before. Looks like the are a Hungarian plant run by RUAG

christcorp
03-21-11, 14:22
I had never heard of mfs before. Looks like the are a Hungarian plant run by RUAG

Their steel case ammo; e.g. .223 is physically made in Russia. However; they also have contracts with Fiocci and others, and their brass ammo I believe is still made in Hungary. They've been around I believe since the 50's. The reason they make their steel case ammo in russia, is because those manufacturers are already set up for mass production steel.

Anyway; i've had no problems with any of their steel case ammo. Then again, I have an M&P15-OR, and it will shoot anything you can think of feeding it.

tpd223
03-21-11, 14:38
Anyone know if the MFS 62gr JSP actually expands? I know much of the Russian JHP doesn't even come close to expanding or fragmenting.

christcorp
03-21-11, 14:59
Anyone know if the MFS 62gr JSP actually expands? I know much of the Russian JHP doesn't even come close to expanding or fragmenting.
My only; non-scientific test; was to shoot at 2 water jugs. "Should have used 3 because it went through both". But I did find the bullet in the sand a couple feet behind the water jugs. The bullet did expand. A lot??? Can't really tell. i didn't measure it. But the end of the bullet was a larger diameter than the rest of the bullet.

I have friends who have used it on coyotes and they love them. I've used the on prairie dogs; but that's pretty much an "Explosion" and finding the bullet is pretty much impossible. I think the round is fine for plinking, coyote, varmints, etc... Do I feel comfortable using it for home defense? Yes. Why? Because it will always be better than a FMJ, a .223 would not be my first choice for home defense, and any ammo I do shoot at a person in my home, with one of my AR's, is going to probably have about 5 rounds fired at them. Any ammo like that is going to do damage. Now; would i use this ammo for deer? No. Not because i don't trust it, but because I'm from Wyoming. We CAN'T hunt deer with anything smaller basically than a 243. (Technically .230). Plus, in wyoming, deer are huge. They aren't the white tail deer of texas or back east. A .223 is not a good round for deer here. Even if it was legal.

yellowfin
03-21-11, 15:07
Is the consistency better than Tula/Wolf? I'm guessing that if you're shooting prairie dogs with them that makes them much more accurate than my experiences with Tula/Wolf and all reports I have of it.

Thomas M-4
03-21-11, 15:15
None of the steel case stuff brown bear, wolf & pp are only for pinking the only exception that I am aware of is Hornady match steel case.
To the op if your are looking for good all around ammo at a decent price M-193 or M-855 is going to be the best bet both were designed to fragment unlike brown bear or wolf which were made to shoot into the dirt. If you want the cheapest to shoot then go after the steel case stuff, If you want the best terminal performance then look to some thing like Hornady 77 grain in 5.56 or one of the other premium SD ammo normally they go for over a dollar per round , If you wanting something that is more affordable and actually has some terminal perf then M-193 or M-855.

christcorp
03-21-11, 15:38
None of the steel case stuff brown bear, wolf & pp are only for pinking the only exception that I am aware of is Hornady match steel case.
To the op if your are looking for good all around ammo at a decent price M-193 or M-855 is going to be the best bet both were designed to fragment unlike brown bear or wolf which were made to shoot into the dirt. If you want the cheapest to shoot then go after the steel case stuff, If you want the best terminal performance then look to some thing like Hornady 77 grain in 5.56 or one of the other premium SD ammo normally they go for over a dollar per round , If you wanting something that is more affordable and actually has some terminal perf then M-193 or M-855.

M-855 isn't going to fragment. It's a steel penetrator with either lead or steel core. It's designed to go THROUGH STEEL. It's not going to fragment. M-193 is traditional Military Ball FMJ ammo. I also don't see that as "Fragmenting". Although, I will concede that I don't know that for sure. Military ammo, because of the hague convention, really doesn't allow hollow points and such. I would be surprised if either M193 or M855 actually "Fragmented".

But the question was for an "All Around" ammo. Either of these would be terrible for hunting; probably not that great for home defense. There are better personal defense; better plinking; and better hunting ammo. But an "All around" (Meaning multi-use for hunting, plinking, and defense) would lean me towards a Soft Point ammo. And the cheapest yet reliable of those, tend to be Silver Bear and MFS and their 62 grain soft point.

Thomas M-4
03-21-11, 16:06
M-855 isn't going to fragment. It's a steel penetrator with either lead or steel core. It's designed to go THROUGH STEEL. It's not going to fragment. M-193 is traditional Military Ball FMJ ammo. I also don't see that as "Fragmenting". Although, I will concede that I don't know that for sure. Military ammo, because of the hague convention, really doesn't allow hollow points and such. I would be surprised if either M193 or M855 actually "Fragmented".

But the question was for an "All Around" ammo. Either of these would be terrible for hunting; probably not that great for home defense. There are better personal defense; better plinking; and better hunting ammo. But an "All around" (Meaning multi-use for hunting, plinking, and defense) would lean me towards a Soft Point ammo. And the cheapest yet reliable of those, tend to be Silver Bear and MFS and their 62 grain soft point.

It was designed to fragment is it the best in this NO.
Is it the most reliable fragmenting round NO.

M-855 is for intermediate barriers its not a true AP round.
M-995 is the true AP round it has a tungsten core.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/40052-MilitaryAssaultRifleWPcopy.jpg

Nightvisionary
03-24-11, 05:51
Federal XM193 has always worked great for me.

kymudder08
03-24-11, 08:00
So who makes 193 and 855? And all around I didn't mean hunting. I'll use better ammo for that or me rifle. If u had to under a shtf senario then I would use whatever ammo I had. And thanks for all the info guys

jhs1969
03-24-11, 10:48
So who makes 193 and 855? And all around I didn't mean hunting. I'll use better ammo for that or me rifle. If u had to under a shtf senario then I would use whatever ammo I had. And thanks for all the info guys

Federal XM193 & 855
IMI M193 & 855

also Win. USA, Q3131, Q3131A has been reported to meet or be near M193 spec as well as Priv Partizan (PPU) M193.

http://www.wideners.com/

christcorp,
Please check your statements. You can search and find many sources concerning fragmentation of M193 and M855. M193 is generally known to fragment better that M855. Neither of these will be as affective as a good HP bullet. I have seen some impressive fragmentation from M193 on varmints up to the size coyotes.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19937

Cincinnatus
03-24-11, 11:00
Is the MFS stuff non-corrosive? Boxer or berdan primed? Looking at Weapons World website and it doesn't say.

christcorp
03-24-11, 11:31
You're not going to find any corrosive ammo unless it's old military surplus. All of the MFS, Wolf, Barnaul, Bear, Tula, etc... is NON-corrosive. Some of the ammo is berdan; but the MFS ammo in .223 caliber happens to be boxer. Not that it really matters, considering it's steel case ammo. Not that it couldn't be reloaded; physically it's possible; but it's not worth it.

Anyway; what matters is that it's not corrosive. And neither is any of the other russian steel case ammo that we talk about. Only if you find some older military surplus, will you even possibly find corrosive ammo.

NavyDavy55
03-24-11, 12:52
The only reason to buy brass ammo is if you are stocking it for SHTF, reloading, or going to collect all the brass and sell it. Selling the brass would still make it $20-40 more per 1k.

I will continue to suggest Silver Bear 62gr for as long as it is around. I chronoed it a few wees ago. In a 16" carbine at 50F 15ft from the muzzle it chronoed at an average of 2845fps. Note that 55gr wolf chronoed at 2880 in the same gun.

I like the Silver Bear 62gr out of any of my M4s, but I also have some M193 and M855.

markm
03-24-11, 15:04
christcorp,
Please check your statements.

Just deleting them altogether might be better. ;)

jhs1969
03-25-11, 00:02
Just deleting them altogether might be better. ;)

:thank_you2:

tvfreakarms
03-26-11, 22:24
So far i only been using brass cased ammo for my pof. But i'm looking to shot the wolf steel cased ammo so that i don't have to spend as much. My questions is has anyone had any problems using steel cased ammo on their pof (.223)?

Some people will not use steel cased ammo at all on their rifles.
I've posted this on another sight and one person said that he used wolf ammo on his pof and it ran like crap.

I've read that some of the lacquer or what ever they use on the steel cases, some of the stuff get's all built up in the chamber and what not. I don't know if it's a pain in the *** to get it cleaned or causes problems. I've also read that when using the steel case ammo and then switching to brass case ammo could lead to problems.
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but i guess i need to be reassured. I'm looking to stock up on ammo and get ready to shoot a lot this coming spring and summer. I havent' shot in a while and i've been itching to shoot.

Thanks.

yellowfin
03-26-11, 22:31
The issue with steel cased ammo is increased fouling. It basically gunks up the chamber faster because the steel case neck doesn't expand as much to seal off the gasses, so more steel will keep going through it but if you switch to brass without cleaning it first it'll stick in there because the brass expands into the area that the steel doesn't. That's the current running theory.

tvfreakarms
03-26-11, 23:26
Ah i see. Thanks.
I was also wondering about silver bear ammo. I've read silver bear runs cleaner compared to wolf ammo and not sure if this is correct or not but it doesn't use any sort of coatings because the type of metal they use on the casings (silver bear i believe zinc plated) true?

Iraqgunz
03-26-11, 23:39
I don't really believe that theory. Simply because I have fired several mags of Hornady steel case TAP and brass cased ammo at the same time and never had a malfunction.

The issue with steel cased ammo is increased fouling. It basically gunks up the chamber faster because the steel case neck doesn't expand as much to seal off the gasses, so more steel will keep going through it but if you switch to brass without cleaning it first it'll stick in there because the brass expands into the area that the steel doesn't. That's the current running theory.

christcorp
03-27-11, 02:45
I don't really believe that theory. Simply because I have fired several mags of Hornady steel case TAP and brass cased ammo at the same time and never had a malfunction.
Usually, I'll fire about 100 rounds of steel case MFS, Bear, Tula, or barnaul; and then I'll follow it up with a 20 round magazine of Brass ammo. Normally PMC Bronze. I do this to partially clean out the chamber. Usually, about the first 5 rounds of brass will indeed have deposits/grime/whatever on their empty cases after firing them. After about 5 or so rounds, the brass is normal looking again.

Sometimes I won't switch to brass. Yesterday for instance, my son and I shot 500 rounds of Steel case tula and barnaul. Didn't even bring any brass ammo. Still no problems. But I have seen the residue on the PMC brass ammo after shooting steel case ammo. Even MFS or silver bear which are zinc plated, and therefor can't be any type of coating. Must be something getting in between the case and the wall.

tvfreakarms
03-27-11, 03:01
Oh ok so the silver bear does not have any type of coating because of the zinc coating. Good to know. I just heard about MFS. How are those ammos compared to silver bear or wolf?

Usually, I'll fire about 100 rounds of steel case MFS, Bear, Tula, or barnaul; and then I'll follow it up with a 20 round magazine of Brass ammo. Normally PMC Bronze. I do this to partially clean out the chamber. Usually, about the first 5 rounds of brass will indeed have deposits/grime/whatever on their empty cases after firing them. After about 5 or so rounds, the brass is normal looking again.

Sometimes I won't switch to brass. Yesterday for instance, my son and I shot 500 rounds of Steel case tula and barnaul. Didn't even bring any brass ammo. Still no problems. But I have seen the residue on the PMC brass ammo after shooting steel case ammo. Even MFS or silver bear which are zinc plated, and therefor can't be any type of coating. Must be something getting in between the case and the wall.

christcorp
03-27-11, 11:39
Oh ok so the silver bear does not have any type of coating because of the zinc coating. Good to know. I just heard about MFS. How are those ammos compared to silver bear or wolf?

MFS is just like Silver Bear. It is Zinc Plated. Most of my ammo is MFS 62 grain soft point. With Shipping, it costs $4.80 a box (weaponsworld.com). If my local cabelas is selling Herters (Polymer coated) on sale for $3.99 a box, I'll buy some of that. I bought 500 rounds of barnaul (lacquer coated) from a gun show a couple weeks ago. "That's the 500 rounds I just shot with my son the other day". I also have bought Tula and other russian that's on sale. I've never had an issue with any of them.

I buy the MFS 62 soft point mainly for it's TRIPLE USE ability. I don't buy it because there's no polymer or lacquer on it. Lacquer and polymer on a case isn't a problem. That's an old wive's tail. Even hornady puts polymer on their steel case ammo. If you didn't coat the cases, the steel would rust. Polymer and lacquer is simply cheaper to do than plating the case. The reason I buy the MFS zinc plated, is because it's a SOFT POINT BULLET. It's cheap enough to plink with; soft point is good enough for varmints/coyotes/prairie dogs, and the soft point is also is decent home defense ammo. If the brown bear soft point ammo (The only other steel case ammo that I know with soft points and polymer/lacquer) was cheaper than the MFS, then I would shoot that.

If your gun will shoot steel case, then it will shoot steel case. Each gun and ammo is different. But the lacquer/polymer has nothing to do with it. Pick ammo that works for your particular gun.