PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1911 vs Colt Series 70 1911

Swatieson
03-15-11, 16:16
Hello,

I would like to get my first and only 1911. I am purist and I want a traditional design but... does a modern design worth it over a classy Colt 1911 70 series?

Of course I am not interested in monstrosities like the Infinity.

Kindest regards.

mikecon75
03-15-11, 16:21
I have and really like both guns, but there is just something about a Colt. The Colt is always said to have good metal and is the premier base gun for customization. That said, my S&W is a sweet pistol.

JSGlock34
03-15-11, 17:37
Your interest in the Smith and Wesson 1911 coincides with the introduction of new models by S&W. Their new 'E' series 1911s have a lot of promise, but they are just hitting the street. I'm interested to see how they perform - they have a lot of desirable features at an impressive price point. Definitely worth watching.

On the other hand, every time I see one of the MARS Armament builds on this forum I'm tempted to buy a Series 70 and send it to Steve Morrison.

wetidlerjr
03-15-11, 18:39
Your interest in the Smith and Wesson 1911 coincides with the introduction of new models by S&W. Their new 'E' series 1911s have a lot of promise, but they are just hitting the street. I'm interested to see how they perform - they have a lot of desirable features at an impressive price point. Definitely worth watching.

On the other hand, every time I see one of the MARS Armament builds on this forum I'm tempted to buy a Series 70 and send it to Steve Morrison.

Yes, a good plan !
:D

QuadBomb
03-16-11, 13:47
I thought my TRP would be my only 1911. Don't know how long that will last.

Lincoln7
03-16-11, 15:58
Between Colt and S&W companies, I'd choose Colt.
Between series 70 and 'series 80' design, I'd choose series 70.

I think you'd enjoy the Colt more...

turdbocharged
03-17-11, 08:36
I love my series 70 reproduction, but which one are you talking about a repro like mine or the old series 70 with the collet bushing?

The only issue I have had with mine is that the ejection port is not lowered and my brass seems to throw just over my right shoulder a little too close to my head. Some people also don't like the sharp lines of the new Colts but personally I love that aspect about them. I've got a blued one with ivory stocks and it looks amazing. Actually it reminds me more of a WW2 1911A1 than the old series 70, especially with the crappy low sights, which is usually the first thing people replace, but I'm stubborn and like my Colt the way it is.

Swatieson
03-17-11, 11:50
I love my series 70 reproduction, but which one are you talking about a repro like mine or the old series 70 with the collet bushing?

The only issue I have had with mine is that the ejection port is not lowered and my brass seems to throw just over my right shoulder a little too close to my head. Some people also don't like the sharp lines of the new Colts but personally I love that aspect about them. I've got a blued one with ivory stocks and it looks amazing. Actually it reminds me more of a WW2 1911A1 than the old series 70, especially with the crappy low sights, which is usually the first thing people replace, but I'm stubborn and like my Colt the way it is.

I mean a recently produced 70 series. I am a totally new to 1911s.

Pistol Shooter
03-17-11, 12:08
Go with the real deal. Colt. :)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

turdbocharged
03-17-11, 13:12
I mean a recently produced 70 series. I am a totally new to 1911s.

Ok well that's what I have purchased and it took me 5 months to get it after ordering it through my local fun store. I absolutely love it. A lot of people use these as a base for a custom gun. However I have no desire to do that as of yet.

Swatieson
03-17-11, 16:08
Ok well that's what I have purchased and it took me 5 months to get it after ordering it through my local fun store. I absolutely love it. A lot of people use these as a base for a custom gun. However I have no desire to do that as of yet.

5 months? OMG. The store told me 4 weeks!

txf15crewchief
03-17-11, 17:35
Three Colt's later, I have no regrets. Go with the pony.

opngrnd
03-17-11, 17:51
I started with a Kimber(a mistake and a story on it's own), but eventually bought a new Colt 70s Series. There is a lot of satisfaction in owning an actual Colt that I don't get out of other brands. I shot and carried it a little, and eventually sent it to MARS ARMAMENT. :) I will keep my next one fairly unmodified, but it will definitely be a Colt ;)

Lumpy196
03-18-11, 11:47
If you're going for a purist gun, I'd recommend the Colt.

If you're going to for a gun that will hold it's value, I'd recommend the Colt.

If you're going for a gun that you will have pride of ownership of, I'd recommend the Colt.

I'm trying to think of a reason to go with the S&W. I'll get back to you.

duece71
03-19-11, 22:15
I went with Colt for my first 1911 and I have never had ANY regrets. In later years I bought a couple more Colts and stil have NO regrets other than I wish I could shoot the piss out of them all the time....Time is not what I have right now.
Smith looks promising and their reputation is well storied. I would say Colt because I own them and have used their CS and was very satisfied. I may try a Smith for my next one.

RyanB
03-19-11, 22:56
1911s were meant to say Colt on the side. Although my taste runs to custom guns, and I've been considering a Les Baer as a training double.

TOrrock
03-19-11, 23:53
"First and only" won't last very long.

Get the Colt Series 70.

scout45
03-21-11, 13:43
I say go S&W. Sure the Colt is nice and most likely will be fine, the poor quality control seems to be a thing of the past, but the S&W will have more of the often added later features to a base model Colt. Lowered and flared ejection port to name the most common, the Colt also will have the standard grip safety while the Smith will have the more modern high grip and will also have night sights if you go E series.

My suggestion would be to handle both before you decide, if you do go Colt you will get a great gun but if you get the Smith you will get a more modern take on the 1911 with some definite deviations from the original design. This is not always a bad thing.

DeltaKilo
03-21-11, 15:15
Colt guns are good, Smith and Wesson guns are good. In a 1911, either one will do well.

Smith's guns are more tightly fit than Colt, so if rattle bothers you, go with the Smith. I've also not been highly impressed with the trigger and accuracy of the Colts.

Personally, I believe there are better options out there than the Colt these days, but there is certainly a mystique about having something with the name "Colt" on the side.

However, I no longer own any guns other than custom 1911s, so, I'm not the best judge.

DeltaKilo
03-21-11, 15:17
1911s were meant to say Colt on the side. Although my taste runs to custom guns, and I've been considering a Les Baer as a training double.

Mmm, I don't know that I agree with this. Yes, Colt makes some fine 1911s. However, considering that the 1911 was developed to be a Military gun and was actually manufactured from the get go by many different companies, I don't necessarily agree that the M1911A1 is "meant" to say "Colt". Colt just had the fortune to work with John Browning to develop the pistol.

RyanB
03-21-11, 15:40
Sure, I simply mean that there are no rollmarks more desirable or attractive than Colts. I like the post war commercial guns the best.

DeltaKilo
03-21-11, 15:44
Sure, I simply mean that there are no rollmarks more desirable or attractive than Colts. I like the post war commercial guns the best.

I dunno, I like springfield's rollmarks better than I liked Colts. And, I like the simplistic markings of Ed Brown best of all.

xXxplosive
03-21-11, 16:51
It's Not A .45 Unless It Has A Horse On It....................

DeltaKilo
03-21-11, 16:57
It's Not A .45 Unless It Has A Horse On It....................

Hmmm, Well, I just had my Percheron/Thoroughbred mix, Beauty, stand on my 1911. Doesn't seem any more .45 now than it was before, though...:confused::sarcastic:

Swatieson
03-21-11, 17:11
I feel kind of discarding the SW because of the external extractor. I am sure it is reliable but if go that route I should end up with a HK45.

I want a true 1911.

milosz
03-21-11, 20:12
I stupidly sold my blued S70 re-issue (2006-7ish model) to fund a vacation.

It was a great 1911 - dead reliable, the sights were easy enough to use (I vastly prefer them to the three-dot on S80 Colts, with the weird, elongated front dot) and a good factory trigger pull.

wetidlerjr
03-22-11, 05:37
I dunno, I like springfield's rollmarks better than I liked Colts...

Would that be the one that says "Made In Brazil" ? :dirol:

DeltaKilo
03-22-11, 09:38
Would that be the one that says "Made In Brazil" ? :dirol:

Nope, since i've never bought a 1911 from Springfield that wasn't machined and assembled here in the US...

wetidlerjr
03-22-11, 21:29
Nope, since i've never bought a 1911 from Springfield that wasn't machined and assembled here in the US...

:D Now how did I know you would say that...

DeltaKilo
03-22-11, 21:58
:D Now how did I know you would say that...

Because only an idiot doesn't do research? :D

Seriously, I like the MC Operator. I think it's an awesome gun. And when I was first buying pistols, that's what caught my eye.

RyanB
03-22-11, 22:01

NM prefix guns are US made frames.

DeltaKilo
03-22-11, 22:10
NM prefix guns are US made frames.

Actually, no. NM prefix serial numbers means the finish machining and fitting were done here, but *all* frames and slides start life in Brazil. Some are imported as complete guns, some are imported as raw frames and slides that are unfinished that are then finished here in the US.

Gray Man
03-23-11, 00:37
I feel kind of discarding the SW because of the external extractor. I am sure it is reliable but if go that route I should end up with a HK45.

I want a true 1911.

I think you're on the right track. IMO the external extractor is the first step down the slippery slope towards not being a 1911 anymore. The second is the fugly fish scale cocking serrations. They look OK on their M&P because the rest of the gun is modern and half plastic. It's a huge deal killer for me on a 1911 though. Hell, I've had a hard time just adjusting my taste to accept slanted cocking serrations!

If you truly think you can limit yourself to only one 1911, then you need to decide if it's going to be a range fun gun, safe queen, or daily carry gun that you shoot the crap out of while learning proficiency. If it's the latter, you should do some soul searching about your maximum budget, then look for a lightly used Wilson CQB, Les Baer, or Springfield TRP. If you just want a clean "representative model" of the 1911 for range fun and dry firing at the TV during WWII movies, then I'd look at either a Series 70 Colt on the expensive end, or a Springfield GI model on the cheap end. Either one could become a beautiful custom down the road if you got the bug.

RyanB
03-23-11, 00:47
Actually, no. NM prefix serial numbers means the finish machining and fitting were done here, but *all* frames and slides start life in Brazil. Some are imported as complete guns, some are imported as raw frames and slides that are unfinished that are then finished here in the US.

No wonder I don't buy Springfields.

wetidlerjr
03-23-11, 04:32

Me, too. :D

DeltaKilo
03-23-11, 09:07
Your choice. The FBI and a few others sure seem to like the Professional model, though.

wetidlerjr
03-23-11, 13:32

Me, too. :D

Your choice. The FBI and a few others sure seem to like the Professional model, though.

Indeed it is ! I want to be so like the FBI but I just can't. :D

Beachboy
03-23-11, 20:00
I went the other way. I've owned several Colt's over the years. Series 70 Gov't Models and Commanders. A 10mm Delta Elite from Wilson's Combat some years ago. I even had two Detonics along the way.

This past weekend the 1911 bug bit me again and I decided I wanted to go back to a single stack / single action for a while. I found one of the basic 5" stainless SW1911 at what I thought was a good price and picked it up. We'll see about the external extractor and what I end up changing out of the MIM parts, but I do like the fit and finish of the S&W for a basic, entry level firearm.

Just my .02