PDA

View Full Version : Finally Joining the AR Club!!

Radioflyer
03-15-11, 22:35
After reading countless threads, buyers guides and general information, I’ve finally picked an entry level AR15.

I won a gunbroker auction for a CMMG AR-15 in 5.56mm. The barrel has a 1/9 twist as opposed to the 1/7 twist that seems so sought after, but I’m sure that can be changed later if need be.

My main reason in purchasing this rifle is to become more familiar with the AR-platform as well as owning my first rifle without breaking the bank on a laundry-list of aftermarket components I don’t yet understand. This rifle comes with a bunch of accessories I had planned to get anyway already installed:

1. Bushnell Scope x8
2. Daniel Defense M4 Rail 7.0 Free Float Rail System
3. 2, CMMG 30 round magazines double coiled spring
4. BOBRO Vertical Fore Grip with Self Aligning Compression Lock (SACL).
5. HARRIS MODEL BRM SERIES S 6inch-9inch BIPOD

I look forward to it’s arrival!!

Iraqgunz
03-15-11, 23:06
How much did it cost you?

After reading countless threads, buyers guides and general information, I’ve finally picked an entry level AR15.

I won a gunbroker auction for a CMMG AR-15 in 5.56mm. The barrel has a 1/9 twist as opposed to the 1/7 twist that seems so sought after, but I’m sure that can be changed later if need be.

My main reason in purchasing this rifle is to become more familiar with the AR-platform as well as owning my first rifle without breaking the bank on a laundry-list of aftermarket components I don’t yet understand. This rifle comes with a bunch of accessories I had planned to get anyway already installed:

1. Bushnell Scope x8
2. Daniel Defense M4 Rail 7.0 Free Float Rail System
3. 2, CMMG 30 round magazines double coiled spring
4. BOBRO Vertical Fore Grip with Self Aligning Compression Lock (SACL).
5. HARRIS MODEL BRM SERIES S 6inch-9inch BIPOD

I look forward to it’s arrival!!

Radioflyer
03-15-11, 23:15
How much did it cost you?

$900 + shipping

Blowby
03-16-11, 14:00
Welcome and that sounds like a good win for you.

Radioflyer
03-19-11, 00:34
well for some reason the seller has not contacted me since the auction ended....it's been 4 days so I'm writing it off. :(

Hmac
03-19-11, 00:43
well for some reason the seller has not contacted me since the auction ended....it's been 4 days so I'm writing it off. :(

Just as well. For another $125 + shipping you can get a BCM 16 inch mid-length and have a new, and much better, rifle.

Radioflyer
03-20-11, 16:26
Good news, I found a better rifle for only marginally more:

details:

Rifle itself:
CMMG Carbine

- 14.7" (1/7" twist, chrome-lined) w/ permanently attached A2 flash hider, making it a legal upper (not an NFA upper).
- 1/7" twist, chrome-lined
- 5.56mm Marked caliber
- "F" marked FSB

everything else appears to be CMMG factory. I will know more upon physical inspection.

Modifications/Accessories:

- Midwest Industries flip-up rear BUIS;
- Troy 7" drop-in MRF rail;
- the standard double-shielded hand guards;
- Pentagon lights MX-2 weaponlight with infrared illuminator and tail-cap pressure switch;
- Troy single point sling;
- 2 new windowed 30-round P-Mags (black);
- Mil-Spec detachable carry handle;
- an NCStar 4x30 carry handle scope with a carry handle mount;
- 4 Pro-Mag rail covers (black);
- a MagPul ASAP (ambidextrous sling adapter);
- ERGO pistol grip;
- unknown-maker fore-grip.

The seller has been very forthcoming with helpful information. I'm very excited.

PlatoCATM
03-20-11, 17:00
I have to agree with Hmac. If you haven't already bought the CMMG, consider a 16" BCM and hold off on all the bells and whistles. Pentagon and ncstar are questionable products anyway, so I don't see a loss there. You wouldn't be spending much more for the BCM anyway, and would be a better value overall. In the end, either rifle may suit your current needs (which we haven't heard) but the BCM would give you more flexibility and a longer life.

Radioflyer
03-20-11, 18:08
I understand the BCM is a higher quality and ranks #2 (just under cold) based on "the chart"

For the time being, I will have to do without an M16 style carrier, Shot Peened Bolt and Heavy Buffer. Some of which I believe could be upgraded at a later time.

But lets keep in mind that the purpose of this rifle for now is mostly Property defense and a plinker for the range. I do not intend to subject this weapon to combat or duty conditions. While the CMMG is not a top-shelf rifle, it's hardly a compromise. At a package price that's about 70% of retail, It's a good price to learn the basics of the AR system.

It would been nice to drive a brand new Corvette to high school, but most o us found that there are less-expensive practical alternatives for the time.

03-20-11, 18:17
I don't understand. You say you've done your research, but you buy a CMMG when for $100 more you could go BCM. You say it's for property defense but not combat. Isn't a situation, in which you are forced to defend your property, combat? What you are really saying is that you are willing to stake your life on a rifle you saved a $100 on.

It may seem as if I'm riding you, but I'm not. I just simply don't understand. My advice: Send it back if possible and buy a BCM. The car analogy isn't applicable. You won't be possibly defending your life with a car.

Iraqgunz
03-20-11, 18:18
Good for you. Enjoy it and hopefully you won't have any problems with it like some of the other CMMG barrels I have seen.

M4arc
03-21-11, 12:55
Good news, I found a better rifle for only marginally more:

I assume you're buying this rifle used from someone, correct?

It has a lot of stuff on it I find undesirable so you're spending money on stuff you probably don't need, won't like and will eventually try and sell off.

Now, I don't have much of a problem with CMMG because I owned one of their uppers that ran like crazy and was accurate and reliable BUT they did have some issues several years back so do you have anyway of knowing if this upper was or is a problem child? No.

IMO you should back up and re-evaluate exactly what it is your want.
Why don't you start by telling us what you're looking for and let the fine folks and experts here help you out?