PDA

View Full Version : Packages from Savage and Remington - is there something better for the money?

Scotter260
03-15-11, 23:44
A friend of mine on another department applied for a sniper position, interviewed, shot and was accepted as a new sniper for the regional SWAT team. For some reason he thinks I have some idea of what's good (I don't but hope to help him out a bit.) I'm perplexed as to why he hasn't just asked the current snipers for recommendations. As I understand it there really aren't "issued" firearms, they just use whatever their respective agencies provide and go from there working on tactics more than equipment.

He specifically asked about Savage, Remington and Kimber as possible rifle choices. His department is footing the bill for the rifle but he's not sure how much they're going to allow. They tend to get numbers first and go from there. The day he asked I'd just gotten Simmons new LE catalog at my department and they have the Savage package for $2,100+ and two Remington packages for $2,500+ and $2,600+. The Remingtons are their TWS packages with one being a 26" and the other being the 20", everything else with those packages appears the same aside from the barrel lengths.

With those amounts in mind, are any of them worthy to be chosen or is there something else out there that offers more bang for the buck?

Thank you for any info.

ETA: I just called him because I couldn't understand why there wasn't more input from existing members as to what rifle was most represented. He stated to test he used a Savage package of another member and stated that the other members have Remingtons. He's gathering info from other members, family members serving in the military, etc. He figures I know where to find the items for decent prices so he can get the most rifle for the money in case he ends up having to foot the bill himself which is possible, he still hasn't heard from his admin. as to how they're going approach this topic as it's never come up before.

rob_s
03-16-11, 06:22
Totally off-topic, but if he's polling that many people he's going to wind up more confused than when he started. Personally? I'd find out what make the majority of the other shooters use and buy that almost entirely from a parts commonality standpoint. Especially if the other members in turn have armorers that are familiar with the platform that he can glom parts and service from.

I'll be interested to see what kind of response you get here. In some circles Savage is seen as the Olympic Arms of the bolt-action world and in others it's viewed as the best-kept-bang-for-the-buck-secret. Personally I don't like their funky double trigger, and too many friends have had them break in practical rifle classes for me to consider them, but I'll be interested to see how this discussion unfolds.

DDgunslinger
03-16-11, 10:40
Totally off-topic, but if he's polling that many people he's going to wind up more confused than when he started. Personally? I'd find out what make the majority of the other shooters use and buy that almost entirely from a parts commonality standpoint. Especially if the other members in turn have armorers that are familiar with the platform that he can glom parts and service from.

I'll be interested to see what kind of response you get here. In some circles Savage is seen as the Olympic Arms of the bolt-action world and in others it's viewed as the best-kept-bang-for-the-buck-secret. Personally I don't like their funky double trigger, and too many friends have had them break in practical rifle classes for me to consider them, but I'll be interested to see how this discussion unfolds.

I agree with Rob, and I have heard the exact same thing about Savage.

On another note:

Since most snipers work in urban operations, especially Law enforcement. Would it not make more since for your friend to possible consider going with an AR10 type build instead of a bolt gun. The reason being it would allow for faster follow up shots if need be, and if for some reason he needs to be available for a different mission, he would have more versatility. I personally have been eyeing LMT's MRP .308 for this exact reason. In an urban setting the likely hood of a sniper engaging past 300m is pretty slim, so the added accuacy a bolt solid bolt gun would have, really wouldn't come into play. As for the two packages you have listed above I'd go Rem 700 over Savage if anything because after market parts are more easily available. Anyway, just something for your friend to think about.

jmoney
03-27-11, 10:09
I would hope he would start handling and firing different rifles until he finds one that suites him, and maintain stellar accuracy, simply polling people I think is inadequate for his situation.

That being said personally I would grab a rem 700 action in 7mm mag, McMillan stock, kriegar barrel Jewell trigger and have someone like hillcountryrifles assemble and accurized for me. Should be lightweight and very dependable

jared91
03-29-11, 12:43
i think he needs to start trying out different guns and find one of his liking. just because it works for someone else doesnt mean it will work for him. usually snipers like these dont need to make quick follow up shots, that is why they have more than one sniper in a situation, so semi auto i think is out of the question. usually police snipers require the exact accuracy and precision of a bolt gun. alot of times, they need to place shots in an very exact position, say shooting through the windshield of a car, or a window of a building, which changes the bullets path, something that cant be guaranteed with with a semi auto. look back at all other cases that involved the use of police snipers. personally, i think he needs to start at the basics. go try out a remington 700 police, savage 110, and any other accurate rifles im leaving out. he needs to see if likes the .308, or something bigger, or if he can go bigger.