PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 FS Magazine problem

jbsmwd
03-16-11, 10:35
I got a new M&P 45 FS couple of weeks ago, one 14 round magazine and the Apex parts. I have had a problem with one of the 10 round magazine bending the follower spring

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/jbsmwd/problems/_IGP3931.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/jbsmwd/problems/_IGP3926.jpg

I know that when I load the 10th round in the magazine I can hear the spring kink/bend because of the noise. I have called S&W to get a new spring and was told that it left on the 8th of March as of this morning 16 March I still have not received the spring.

Has anybody else had this problem with there M&P magazines?

C4IGrant
03-16-11, 10:50
I have seen this problem with one of my own mags. Call S&W for a replacement.

C4

jbsmwd
03-16-11, 10:55
I have seen this problem with one of my own mags. Call S&W for a replacement.

C4

They say that it is in route.

sevin8nin
03-16-11, 11:02
They say that it is in route.

Then it is in route, just give it a little time

cgcorrea
03-16-11, 12:15
I recently experienced the same problem with one of my 10 round mags for my full size M&P 45. I called S&W about it and they sent 2 new mag springs my way. I replaced the bad spring with one of the new ones and loaded 10 rounds into the mag and put it away. Two days later I began to empty the mag and the follower stopped rising, leaving the last 3 or 4 rounds loose inside the mag(This was the same reason I had checked the mag spring the first time and noticed the bend.). I took out the spring and it was bent, but not quite as bent as the old one. I replaced that spring with the other new spring that I got from S&W and loaded the mag back up with 10 rounds. It's been about 2 weeks now and I have not experienced anymore problems. The spring is just as straigt as it was when I got it.

markm
03-16-11, 12:29
I offload my M&P .45 mag to 9 rounds with number 10 in the chamber.

Some of my mags won't take 10 rounds of reloads since resizing pistol brass doesn't take it down completely to new ammo dimensions... even with a Rx die.

jbsmwd
03-16-11, 12:42
Some of my mags won't take 10 rounds of reloads since resizing pistol brass doesn't take it down completely to new ammo dimensions... even with a Rx die.

Really ??!?! What dies are you using?

Titleist
04-05-11, 10:46
This JUST happened to my 14rnd .45 mag. I noticed it wasn't feeding all that reliably, downloaded the magazine and noticed the follower was stopping about 10-12mm short of the top of the mag. I pressed on it, wasn't stuck, so I took the mag apart and noticed the same thing had happened.

A kink in the mag spring. Tried straightening it out, loaded the mag, same issue. So called S&W today and they're sending me a replacement out sometime this week.

In generally I notice I can load my 10rnd mags to 10, but my 14rnd mags have to go to 13 or they won't feed well.

jbsmwd
04-05-11, 11:30
I got the replacement springs in and have not had the problem since. I read some where on this site that the 14 round magazine are more reliable @13 rounds instead 14 rounds. Maybe you will get lucky with this screw up like I did. S&W send me 3 springs for the 10 round magazine and 2 springs for the 14 round magazine at different time. I only order one 10 round and one 14 round spring.

Did the spring bend right at the area that it changes size in the spring?

markm
04-05-11, 11:32
Really ??!?! What dies are you using?

Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies.

Titleist
04-05-11, 11:33
It bent EXACTLY in the same place, just on the 14rnd spring. I'm just going to load my 14 round mags to 13 rounds. I carry the 10 rounders, but no way would carry the 14s for CCW use, so it's not a real deal breaker.

We'll see how many springs show up. But my other 14 round mag hasn't had any issues.

Titleist
04-28-11, 15:18
So just an update. After 3 weeks of waiting a package arrived from S&W. It looked a little on the small side, so I opened it up and yep...they sent me a 10rnd magazine spring. Awesome... :(

I call them today and their first response was "We don't carry the .45 extended mag spring." I ask why not, and here's where it gets good. "We don't have the spring in because we're designing it due to some problems..." Oh like not allowing a whole 14 rounds to be loaded or the spring folding over making the mag a pile of shit? "Yeah the spring was folding over and not all mags were loading."

Simple answer, they said to call back in 2-3 weeks when the new springs would be out (i'll snag a couple just to be safe.). But yeah...ugh.

Fire_Medic
04-28-11, 15:25
Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies.

I use to have a similar issue with my 9mm Dillon Dies, I switch to Redding Pro Series Dies and never an issue and the run smooth as silk on my Dillon 550B. Loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm, 40, and 45 with no issues.