PDA

View Full Version : Vtac Brokos or US Grunf Gear Infidel

MCS
03-16-11, 12:06
I am looking to get my first "war belt" and have got my choices down to the Brokos and the Infidel. I really like how both allow the belt to be exposed so mounting a holster a kydex type holster easier! I was hoping to get some pros/cons or a compare and contrast from anyone that has experience with one or both the belts.

Tim

kcmo83
03-16-11, 13:56
Having owned/used both, here's my take:

Executive summary:

Brokos=lightweight, modular, but needs proper inner belt sizing.

Infidel=modular, supportive, built-in belt system, but won't allow certain types of holster attachment methods.

Breakdown:

Brokos Positives:

The Brokos is the lighter of the two belts IF you use a lightweight inner belt. The Brokos is wide, so it disperses the weight well and doesn't 'roll' over.

The Brokos allows for more modularity, in that you can weave the inner belt however you desire, and still use molle. The Infidel has molle sleeves that come with it, but there are some limitations to the system which I will discuss later.

Grunt Gear Positives:

The Infidel, Warhog, etc... has a built in belt, so you don't need a separate belt for use as an 'inner' belt. KISS principle. They also include a separate velcro 'hook' inner belt that you can use on your pants that interfaces with a sewn-in 'pile' portion on the inside of the belt which keeps the belt from moving around. This is a nice-to-have feature that most other belts don't offer. (I have found that the velcro inner belt can snag and pull un-tucked shirts, depending on fabric material.)

Brokos Negatives:

Inner belt sizing can be difficult on 'war belts' because your regular pants belt (ie: rigger's belt) won't always work because of the larger circumference when wearing the belt over your pants. Just keep this in mind, as it could be an added expense to buy a larger belt that properly fits you. With the Brokos itself, most recommend going a size larger than you think you'll need. My experience is consistent with that recommendation. I ultimately suggest getting the Brokos, running a measuring tape through the belt and seeing how the belt measures around your waist, thus determining what inner-belt sizing would work best.

Grunt Gear Negatives:

My biggest complaint is with the holster attachment system. The belt has a 'sewn' portion that allows you to thread Safariland style drop leg adjusters and clip-on style holster attachments, BUT it will not work with a holster attachment that you can't take apart and thread through the sewn portion. Essentially, if you have a 'belt slide' style attachment, the newer Safariland Drop Flex Adapter attachment, or some kydex Raven Concealment Style belt clips that are non-removable, they simply won't work with the Grunt Gear. In my case, I had a Safariland belt attachment that I couldn't mount, and I also had a Peter's Custom Holster (which has non-removable belt loop attachments) that I could not use with the belt. It's the reason I settled with the Brokos. It's also slightly bulkier than the Brokos belt.

Wrap-up:

They are both great belts from great people. I have no big issues with either belt. They are both priced within $10.00-$20.00 of each other, but you need to add the expense of an inner belt with the Brokos (assuming you don't already have a properly sized belt). The Infidel's included belt means you give up some holster attachment options, and this may be a deal breaker for you; it was for me.

MCS
03-16-11, 14:58
Thanks for the info.

mnoe82
03-16-11, 16:44
+1 on the Brokos. It ran a little small on me too.

MCS
03-16-11, 18:48
What size waist are you guys and what size belts did you get?

rob_s
03-16-11, 18:49
Provided you can work with the holster limitations, and ther are many, many workarounds for most attachment methods, the Infidel being an integrated padded belt is a better system than any "sleeve" design IMHO. if, however you are saddled with the attachment method you can't determine a workaround for, the Brokos is the best design of the sleeves.

number9xd
03-16-11, 19:56
I've got the Brokos and really like it. I ordered the outer belt a size larger as I like the ends to wrap around close to the buckle. Some were reporting that it only came just past their hip bones when getting "their size".

MCS
03-16-11, 20:04
Provided you can work with the holster limitations, and ther are many, many workarounds for most attachment methods, the Infidel being an integrated padded belt is a better system than any "sleeve" design IMHO. if, however you are saddled with the attachment method you can't determine a workaround for, the Brokos is the best design of the sleeves.

Well the holster I am running is a blade-tech with tec-loc..

MCS
03-16-11, 20:42
I've got the Brokos and really like it. I ordered the outer belt a size larger as I like the ends to wrap around close to the buckle. Some were reporting that it only came just past their hip bones when getting "their size".

Well I am a pant size 30, which puts me in between the medium size for the outer belt.. Would you recommend me going to the large to get the buckles closer?

kcmo83
03-16-11, 21:00
Well I am a pant size 30, which puts me in between the medium size for the outer belt.. Would you recommend me going to the large to get the buckles closer?

Yes, a size Large is what you want.

rob_s
03-17-11, 05:20
Well the holster I am running is a blade-tech with tec-loc..

This is what the Infidel systemwas originally designed to work with.

MCS
03-17-11, 07:14
Thanks for the info Rob_S! Now I just need to make a decision...

MiamiC70
03-17-11, 21:22
I like my US Gruntgear Warhog but mounting a holster is a PITA!
Compounded when having no local shops that have the various attatchment devices available localy for you to experiment with.

wilhelm
03-19-11, 11:41
I have an USGG infidel and absolutley love that thing. My hips feel the same at the end of day as they did at the beginning of the day.

nikuraba29
03-20-11, 17:11
Just ran a brokos for the 1st time yesterday and I liked it, felt good and provided excellent support, my 1st line didnt feel like it was dragging me down. However the sizing runs small. I wear 36's and originally had an L so exchanged it for an XL and it still didnt go all the way around my waist, however it should fit better in the future. If you get a Brokos defintly go a size up.

S/F