PDA

View Full Version : AK Folding Stock Preference

eternal24k
03-16-11, 12:55
So I have an SGL-21 that I would like to do up and possible run in a class, I currently have a 100 series stock set but my personal preference is to have the stock fold to the right, rather than the left. Especially if I ended up with a sidemounted rail. So I have been looking at the Ace unit.

So who has experience with the Ace and the 100 series?
Which would you prefer? does it interfere with selector? and sling mount options? I personally would like a single point, but would settle for a decent 2 point.

thanks guys

ETA, the 100 series stock is just sitting in a box, not installed

Moose-Knuckle
03-16-11, 13:16
So I have an SGL-21 that I would like to do up and possible run in a class, I currently have a 100 series stock set but my personal preference is to have the stock fold to the right, rather than the left. Especially if I ended up with a sidemounted rail. So I have been looking at the Ace unit.

So who has experience with the Ace and the 100 series?
Which would you prefer? does it interfere with selector? and sling mount options? I personally would like a single point, but would settle for a decent 2 point.

thanks guys

ETA, the 100 series stock is just sitting in a box, not installed

In your situation it would be less expensive to (can't beleive I'm going to say this) grind off your SLG's rear tang and install the Ace internal receiver block. To add the 100 series would take a lot of work from a reputable smith. I have several rifles with the 100 series folder and it is the king of the hill concerning folding stocks. My SLG-21 is GTG with the Warsaw length stock. IMO I'd leave your SLG-21 as it is.

eternal24k
03-16-11, 13:18
I don't mind the smith work, it is a pretty straightforward job.

So you prefer the 100 series still?

Toyoland66
03-16-11, 13:22
You already have "The" folding stock to have on an AK, I wouldn't mess with it.

Moose-Knuckle
03-16-11, 13:24
So you prefer the 100 series still?

On the rifles that came with them, yes. They are as solid and comfortable as a standard stock. Superior to wire side folders and under folders.

Moose-Knuckle
03-16-11, 13:27

I'm not sure if I follow you. The SGL-21 does not have a folding stock, it comes with the standard Warsaw length butt stock. The OP is wanting to swap them out.

eternal24k
03-16-11, 13:27

it's sitting in a box, not installed.

MCS
03-16-11, 13:33
I really like the look of a folding ace on an ak.

TOrrock
03-16-11, 13:52
The ACE folded to the right is going to interfere with your manipulation of the safety lever.

Toyoland66
03-16-11, 15:50
my mistake, I misread the OP :o

BaronFitz
03-16-11, 18:29
The ACE folded to the right is going to interfere with your manipulation of the safety lever.

Not to mention the bolt. (At least with the AK-100 series.)

Magic_Salad0892
03-17-11, 04:25
Just out of curiosity, why would you rather have it fold to the right?

eternal24k
03-17-11, 10:21
Just out of curiosity, why would you rather have it fold to the right?

If I ended up utilizing the side mount for optics/rails. Also general preference but completely moot point if both the bolt and selector cannot operate. I always pictured the ACE having a downward cant when folded to clear the charging handle...

Looks like I will most likely install the 100 series stock and possibly spray the butt plate with some rubber, I cant stand how slippery the metal can be.

TOrrock
03-17-11, 10:41
If I ended up utilizing the side mount for optics/rails. Also general preference but completely moot point if both the bolt and selector cannot operate. I always pictured the ACE having a downward cant when folded to clear the charging handle...

Looks like I will most likely install the 100 series stock and possibly spray the butt plate with some rubber, I cant stand how slippery the metal can be.

The bolt on the Galil has that upward facing bolt handle, and the selector is manipulated with your thumb, that's how they got away with the right side folding stock.

eternal24k
03-17-11, 10:44
I have been considering modding a Tantal selector to work, but I probably will KISS and go with a Krebbs since Blackjack nolonger make the SWIFT