PDA

View Full Version : dude puts 1,260rds through 7.62x39mm SIG556R in under 4 hours

kal
03-16-11, 14:35
http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=45&t=338906

TOrrock
03-16-11, 15:01
You should definitely buy one.

Moose-Knuckle
03-16-11, 16:38

LOL! :D

I want to see is a drop test on the suspect non Swiss Arms stock.

variablebinary
03-16-11, 17:34

:laugh::laugh:

You're killin' me

kal
03-16-11, 18:21

Maybe I should.:eek:

I didn't make this thread to say 'hey the sig is extremely reliable'. Simply, this is the first I've heard of a high round count sig556R out of the box and I thought I should share.

The gun has no heat shields and screws that aren't loctited. That's questionable.

How the hell does a SIG have screws anyway......

mashed68
03-16-11, 20:42
lol yeah tim did it with corrosive yugo too, although theres not alot of moisture out here in AZ to cause rusting.

1911-A1
03-17-11, 12:44
From the post:

All told I am very impressed with the gun

Wait, what?

He was impressed after the excessive heat, aluminum receiver chewed to shit by the steel mags, and the damned screws shooting loose (resulting in lost hardware)?

WOW.

kal
03-17-11, 14:29
Wait, what?

He was impressed after the excessive heat, aluminum receiver chewed to shit by the steel mags, and the damned screws shooting loose (resulting in lost hardware)?

WOW.

1. Loctite can be applied to screws.

2. Regarding excessive heat, we have to determine if real SIG550's have heat shields and the SIG556 doesn't.

3. How much of a problem exactly is it with steel mags on an aluminum lower? The picture doesn't show more than surface scratching.

SteyrAUG
03-17-11, 17:45
From the post:

Wait, what?

WOW.

To say nothing of two failures.

I've got Colts with well over 10,000 rounds and zero failures.

mashed68
03-18-11, 10:54

Don't forget he never even cleaned the packing oil off the gun or added any extra lube at any time during the test. Combine that with the dry climate and all that primer sealant that built up and I'd say thats a pretty good result. I don't see any excuse for the reciever damage though.

ChicagoTex
03-18-11, 12:14

At the risk of playing devil's advocate, your 10,000 rounds were likely of higher quality than Yugo milsurp 5.45.

My assessment of this is actually: better than I expected, but still not yet good enough.
We'll see if SIG makes any changes, if not, the aftermarket may step in to correct some of the basic problems, and make this a surprisingly viable 7.62x39 platform.

kal
03-18-11, 12:23
Hey steyrAUG, do your real deal sig rifles have metal heat shields in the hand guards?

SteyrAUG
03-18-11, 12:35
Don't forget he never even cleaned the packing oil off the gun or added any extra lube at any time during the test. Combine that with the dry climate and all that primer sealant that built up and I'd say thats a pretty good result. I don't see any excuse for the reciever damage though.

A very valid point. But if it was a packing grease issue it would have probably happened early on. If the failures had occurred early on I would dismiss them as packing grease hanging parts.

The failures both happened towards the end (after 900 rounds). And it is something I've never experiences with a Colt, HK or Swiss SIG rifle even run dry.

My father was notorious for never cleaning guns (it's how I learned to clean guns when I was a kid) and he went about 10 years without cleaning on of his ARs. He regularly shot it with zero failures over a 10 year period with no cleaning. When I finally cleaned the gun it looked like somebody baked brownies inside the receiver.

So while a .2% failure rate might impress some (especially in light of some of the crap that has been forced on the firearm community in the last decade) I don't find it terribly impressive.

What impresses me is when something like the MP5 documents about 475,000+ rounds before being taken out of service.

Kyohte
03-18-11, 12:37
No Heat shields on a 551. They get quite hot after a while.

SteyrAUG
03-18-11, 12:48
Hey steyrAUG, do your real deal sig rifles have metal heat shields in the hand guards?

Nope, they sure don't. And IMO they aren't necessary so that isn't really a valid criticism of the US 556. For some reason the SIGs just don't get "flaming AKM handguards" hot.

ARs and HKs get hot at the receiver because that is where the "action happens." AKs definitely get hot under the hand guards. Given that the SIG is a evolution of the AK, I really don't understand how they pulled that off.

But SIGs, FALs and AUGs tend to get hot only at the barrel (like most firearms). I'm certain the gas adjustment plug gets pretty toasty but I tend to leave it alone when shooting. Now the barrels of course get hot, but it really isn't noticeable through the hand guards unless you have metal guards like on some older FAL rifles.

rojocorsa
03-18-11, 12:48
At the risk of playing devil's advocate, your 10,000 rounds were likely of higher quality than Yugo milsurp 5.45.

My assessment of this is actually: better than I expected, but still not yet good enough.
We'll see if SIG makes any changes, if not, the aftermarket may step in to correct some of the basic problems, and make this a surprisingly viable 7.62x39 platform.

Yugo Milsurp 5,45? Or you meant 7.62?

Either way, in my experience Yugo has been on this nicer end of the scale for milsurp ammo that I've seen. I speak mostly from experience with 7.62x54R brass cased stuff, but it's exactly the same (in format) at that 7.62x39 ammo; it even has the primer sealant that gets all over my Mosin action as well.

As far as the OP rifle is concerned, I did not like the fact that the bottom of the receiver got chewed up by steel mags. I'm sure the aluminum is there to keep things light---but would it make sense to reinforce the magwell with a harder metal so this doesn't happen?

ChicagoTex
03-18-11, 13:09
Yugo Milsurp 5,45? Or you meant 7.62?

Good catch, I meant 7.62 and just had a brain fart.

kal
03-18-11, 13:20
As far as the OP rifle is concerned, I did not like the fact that the bottom of the receiver got chewed up by steel mags. I'm sure the aluminum is there to keep things light---but would it make sense to reinforce the magwell with a harder metal so this doesn't happen?

The question is, how much of a problem is that?

It's too early to tell.

Until I hear of somebody saying "my mags won't sit right anymore because of the gouging", I can't believe that it's a significant problem.

rojocorsa
03-18-11, 22:33
Good point. I got ahead of myself in that regard. (Part of the learning experience).

Phazuka
03-19-11, 17:07
Look at the pictures of the carbon buildup on the gas plug, I'm not surprised at the 2 failures late in the session with all that fouling. Switch it to adverse gas setting, that's what it's for and it'll keep going and going.

Some people get their guns worn in by shooting them, some get them worn in by throwing them down the driveway. I like this guys method better. :sarcastic:

rojocorsa
03-20-11, 18:33
Since the other thread where this gun got a review (by Military Arms) got closed:

The gun was cleaned and stripped and ready to go before the evaluation, correct?

kal
03-20-11, 19:11
I don't know why it was locked either.

I also wanted to see if a stronger hammer spring may be needed to deal with those supposedly hard eastern block primers.

rcpd34
03-20-11, 19:20
I'd buy one in a second if I had the disposable income. I heard the LE rep was at our local range with one doing a demo and everyone was impressed.

OhThatGuy
03-20-11, 20:29
Mine ran pretty well at a carbine match today. One light primer strike though. It made it about 5 stages before the eotech on in faded due to dead batteries. I switched over to my SCAR for the last 2 stages. It ran well also.