PDA

View Full Version : Alignment question concerning my new Stag 2TL

JrFreak
03-16-11, 16:12
I jumped into the AR pot a few months ago when I purchased my first AR-15... a Stag 2TL. I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the range yet, but I have been adding some 'goodies' over the winter. My last purchase was a EOTech EXPS3-0.

When I mount the EOTech on my upper the center dot matches up very well with the stock sights, but when I mount the EXPS to the quadrail it is off by a good amount. Then I noticed that the quadrail is not aligned very well with the upper. Using a set of calipers I measured it to be approximately .025" out of alignment. See picture.

Is this normal? Acceptable? Is this something I should have Stag fix or is it common?

I plan on getting a 3x magnifier someday so I'd like to have both rails real close in alignment so I can move the EOTech around and still have it be close.

How would I go about fixing this myself?

Iraqgunz
03-16-11, 16:37
I would address the issue as it shouldn't be like that. I assume that it came from the factory like this?

I jumped into the AR pot a few months ago when I purchased my first AR-15... a Stag 2TL. I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the range yet, but I have been adding some 'goodies' over the winter. My last purchase was a EOTech EXPS3-0.

When I mount the EOTech on my upper the center dot matches up very well with the stock sights, but when I mount the EXPS to the quadrail it is off by a good amount. Then I noticed that the quadrail is not aligned very well with the upper. Using a set of calipers I measured it to be approximately .025" out of alignment. See picture.

Is this normal? Acceptable? Is this something I should have Stag fix or is it common?

I plan on getting a 3x magnifier someday so I'd like to have both rails real close in alignment so I can move the EOTech around and still have it be close.

How would I go about fixing this myself?

Col_Crocs
03-16-11, 16:38
Not too clear from the photo but that looks like the Samson STAR rail... You could reinstall it yourself using a carry handle to secure and align its top rail to your upper.

JrFreak
03-16-11, 18:00
I would address the issue as it shouldn't be like that. I assume that it came from the factory like this?

Yep. Came from the factory like this. And yep, it is a Samson quad.

JrFreak
03-16-11, 19:24
Actually... upon further review... I may have done this myself. I vaguely recall loosening the 4 cap screws while installing my angled grip. Stupidly loosening at that.

I loosened those 4 and fixed the issue.

I'm new to this stuff.... but learning for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Luke_Y
03-19-11, 18:28
Hello JrFreak, Glad you got the rail sorted. A bit of LocTite on those screws is probably in order as well.

when I mount the EXPS to the quadrail

I will also chime in with the suggestion to leave the EOTech mounted to the receiver and not move it to the rail, even after you add the magnifier. With the right combination of parts you should be able to have all 3 (EO, Mag, Buis) mounted to the receiver rail.