PDA

View Full Version : I've been COMPACT-ed.... Beretta style

ShipWreck
03-16-11, 18:45
I made a quick trip to Houston and went to Carters (in Houston) on I-10 today.... Someone at the Beretta Forum told me that they had 92 compacts in stock.

Bud's has been selling these for the past couple of weeks, but I don't typically care to buy Berettas sight unseen... I've opened too many new ones over the years to see the finish scratched up a bit.

Anyway, there were like 18 this past weekend... They were down to 2 in the back and 1 on display today. I picked one up, after trying for the past 2 weeks to find one in person... Wasn't gonna let this pass me up.

The Compact 92s haven't been imported in like 10+ years.

I plan to put a D spring in and get some Hogue grips for it to match my other 92s...

Here is a preliminary picture... When I have some sun outside and some time, I'll have some better pics...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92compact.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-16-11, 19:40
Looks good. I picked one up several months ago, but it is rougher looking than yours. Nice gun though.....currently my offduty gun

Palmguy
03-16-11, 19:54
How do these compare in size to a more commonplace pistol (say, a G19)?

ShipWreck
03-16-11, 20:02
How do these compare in size to a more commonplace pistol (say, a G19)?

Well, I haven't had time to take really good pics, but someone on another forum asked for a comparison pic with a regular 92......

(I think it may be close to G19 side)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/duo2.jpg

ShipWreck
03-16-11, 20:02
Looks good. I picked one up several months ago, but it is rougher looking than yours. Nice gun though.....currently my offduty gun

Thanks. It's a batch of a recent import... So, it's possible to get these new again...

$CashMoney$
03-16-11, 21:10
Will the D spring have the same effect with the shorter grip, or will you cut a few rounds off of the spring, or use a lighter competition spring?

ShipWreck
03-16-11, 21:34
Will the D spring have the same effect with the shorter grip, or will you cut a few rounds off of the spring, or use a lighter competition spring?

As far as I know, it will have the same effect. I believe I have seen others who have used it in the compact before on the Beretta Forum... It should be the same hammer spring as the fullsize 92...

$CashMoney$
03-16-11, 22:02
Let me know how that D hammer spring works out in the compact, compared to the full size. Do you plan to polish the hammer/sear mating surfaces? I did the D spring and polish job on my 92 FS and it made a huge difference, but I didn't measure it before the job. I have a new, unfired 92A1, so I'll measure that and compare it to the 92FS, that should be a fair representation.

I may have to pick up one of the 92 Compacts, they look pretty sweet, and it's a better alternative than the Cougar, I think, as it's just a smaller version, rather than a similar pistol with a different operating system.

ShipWreck
03-16-11, 22:05
I don't usually polish anything...

I have D springs in all of my 92s - and in my carry gun (fullsize 92FS) the DA pull is about 8 lbs, and the SA is at 4lbs... I'm satisfied with that...