PDA

View Full Version : Grips

abnk
09-20-07, 20:44
I took an EAG class a couple of months ago and although I took notes on what I needed to improve, every now and then more come to mind. The grip issue is one of them.

While not a deal-breaker, the A2 grip I had in the course was less than comfortable. It would have been even more uncorfomtable had I not used gloves after the first day.

Now that I have replaced/improved most of the moving parts, I am getting to cosmetics and comfort. For grips, I am looking at the Ergo grip, the Tango Down, and the Magpul MIAD.

I like the Ergo Grip for it's simplicity and mild finger groves and the Tango Down for the storage option. The MIAD seems nice, but to me it's a bit complicated or overdone for a grip.

What are your suggestions, gentlemen?

Robb Jensen
09-20-07, 20:53
My two favorite are the TangoDown and the Magpul MIAD in that order.

SuicideHz
09-20-07, 20:56
The MIAD is not complicated and it's the one I choose.

Perhaps the thought process involved in deciding how you want to set it up is complicated at first but after you get it the way you want, it's the way you want it and it will be close to perfect!

desertram800
09-20-07, 21:03
I used a CAA grip for years, and swore by it. Then I tried the TD and fell in love with it. Then I tried the Ergogrip and it beats both others by miles! It's super comfy, and it still has storage inside of it as well. The TD places my hand too high up and it makes it so my trigger finger has to angle down to the trigger, the CAA and the Ergo both have the backstrap which places the hand a little lower. But as far as grips go, you really have to try them for yourselves, they're like shoes, different ones are better for different people, you can't really listen to what others like.

UVvis
09-20-07, 22:26
Having used all 3.

I really like the MIAD for the simple fact you can adjust the overall size and make it conform to larger hands.

The standard stock grip is very small for my hand. The Tango Down also seems small to me, but better than the A2 and it has the gap pinch protector built in, is a little bigger, and has storage.

The Ergo grips are very nice as well. I like them, especially the stickiness of the over-molded ones. Their storage system is pretty lousy, but they are nice to hold.

So personally, I'd go MIAD, then Ergo, then TD.

onmilo
09-20-07, 22:34
I use the hard surface ambidextrious Ergo grips and standard A2 grips on my rifles.
The storage space on an Ergo grip is good for keeping a spare firing pin, gas rings, extractor pin and cotter pin.
Not much else is going to fit in there.

I have tried rifles with MagPul and Buffer Tech grips on them and didn't care for them.
Pretty pricey options in pistol grips too.

rob_s
09-21-07, 04:35
You have come to the conclusion most people do after shooting alot with the A2 grip, it's no good. :D For most people that one finger groove on the A2 is in the wrong place. Factor in shooting fast, on the move, and/or from unconventional positions and that little shelf gets even more annoying. Many people also find that the A2 is too skinny in their hand.

My preference is for the Tango Down or Magpul grips, and I'm starting to lean towards the Magpul more. There is a less expensive and simpler option though; the A1 grip with a gapper. Here (http://blackrifleworks.com/a1-pistol-grip-surplus-p-283.html) is an A1 for only $6! It won't address the too-skinny issue, but for $9 ($6 grip and $3 gapper) you can solve the main problem with the A2 rather easily.

RE: the Ergo, I personally dislike it. It makes the chief problem with the A2 grip even worse (it goes from one finger groove to multiples) and it does nothing to address the other problem (it's still too skinny).

Grip selection is very personal though. I only found what works for me by trying all the grips above (A1, A2, TD, MIAD, and Ergo). Ultimately, assuming you don't want to go through all this trial and error, your best bet is to find people in your area that own the other grips so you can try them. Barring that, and if you can only own one grip, I would get the MIAD because of the ability to change the front and back straps to customize the fit.

watchluvr4ever
09-21-07, 06:29
RE: the Ergo, I personally dislike it. It makes the chief problem with the A2 grip even worse (it goes from one finger groove to multiples) and it does nothing to address the other problem (it's still too skinny).

Goodness Rob, you must have some big hands if you think the Ergo is too skinny. :D

rob_s
09-21-07, 06:34
Goodness Rob, you must have some big hands if you think the Ergo is too skinny. :D
Laterally. I actually think it's too long front to back.:D

It may be a situation of ratios though. It may be that, if measured, it would turn out to be wider than some others, but that the extra front/back length makes it feel skinnier.

neodecker
09-21-07, 06:40

I have small hands and I think its to skinny, and just plain uncomfortable I just ordered the Magpul grip yesterday.

watchluvr4ever
09-21-07, 07:46
Well if it means anything, which it probably don't, I really like mine. :) However I probably don't have near as many rounds down the pipe as many of you veterans here. Opinions change and so do people.

neodecker
09-21-07, 08:00
Well if it means anything, which it probably don't, I really like mine. :) However I probably don't have near as many rounds down the pipe as many of you veterans here. Opinions change and so do people.
It does mean something its your rifle not mine or anyone else's. I have a number of friends with ARs and we all have different grips my favorite grip was a cheap $10.00 SamCo that is on my other AR.

markm
09-21-07, 08:22
The only problem I've had with the A2 is from the middle finger getting chewed up below the trigger guard. Simply stuffing an earplug in that gap solves the problem.

I have the MIAD on one of my guns. It's nice and all, but I keep my Defensive weapons set up with the standard A2 grip.

jmart
09-21-07, 08:23
It may be a situation of ratios though....

Somehow I can't get the image of coconuts and unladen African swallows out of my mind.:D

MX5
09-21-07, 10:36
Best advice is that grips are like shoes and you should try them on other weapons before you make your choices. Everyone has their favorites and I'm no different. I have large hands, wearing a size 12 wedding ring. For me, the Ergo hard grips are my first choice and are installed on 4 ARs; the 'finger grooves' aren't even noticeable. There's a TD on one SBRs and though I didn't like it initially, I gave it time and now like it almost as much as the former, however I'm not going to change all of them to the TD.

My biggest complaint about the A2 grip is that the extra material for the 'finger groove' is in the wrong place. While less than perfect, this grip is installed on two ARs for a specific purpose. One is the wife's AR that also serves as one of our home defense weapons. It's easier for me to adjust to her weapons than the other way around. The other is attached to a suppressed dedicated .22 LR used as a training/practice tool when appropriate and varmint elimination. The extra material on the grip was carefully removed with a Dremel tool, then filed, sanded and polished until no trace was remaining. While still skinny, it makes it much more useful and serves very well in it's dual role.

abnk
09-21-07, 16:02
Thank you for the input all. I think I'll get the Ergo and Tango Down for now and try them both. I'm not really sold on the MIAD. I just don't like the idea that something as simple as a grip comes in different pieces.

markm
09-21-07, 16:33
Thank you for the input all. I think I'll get the Ergo and Tango Down for now and try them both. I'm not really sold on the MIAD. I just don't like the idea that something as simple as a grip comes in different pieces.

Just the priciple of it? Or that it might come appart?

Cuz the back strap roll pins in place and is very solid, and the front strap can only be removed if the grip is off of the receiver.

hatt
09-21-07, 16:39
I'm not really sold on the MIAD. I just don't like the idea that something as simple as a grip comes in different pieces.

I've never heard of anyone breaking a MIAD. If you drive the pin into the backstrap it's never going to come apart(assuming it would come apart anyhow). The MIAD feels the best out of any grip I have tried.

mike240
09-21-07, 17:27
I used to use the hard Ergo but have switched to the World Wide Ordnance "Commando Grip". These come in two sizes. I like the large which puts my finger on the trigger nicely. I also use a soldering iron to completely "stipple" the grip (since I don't like the ruber overmolded ones) with an aggressive pattern, like I do my Glocks.

When I put a weapon down I want to see impressions of the the grips in my hand! That is why I still like sharp 20 lpi checking on my 1911s.

abnk
09-21-07, 21:15
Just the priciple of it? Or that it might come appart?

I guess it's a bit of both. I'm more of a Glock than 1911 guy. I like things simple. I hope that explains my philosophy. :)

However, if the Ergo or TD don't work for me, I'll definitely give the MIAD a try.

Thanks again, all.

R Moran
09-22-07, 04:47
At one time Paul Howe recommended inner tube. He felt that you'll never really know how agrip works fro you, untill you shoot it, or at least have it on the gun. Before you know it, you have box full of 20-30 dollar grips you don't like.

with the bicycle inner tube, you can custom fit the grip to you, his was huge as I recall. ANd, it only costs a few bucks. Not sure if this is still what he uses/recommends.

In a recent class with LAV, he commented that some grip can compromise your ability to reach the selector, w/o changing your grip. Something to think about.

I like the Tango Downs, no finger groove, and I can get high up on the gun with it.

Bob

rob_s
09-22-07, 07:28
I'm not really sold on the MIAD. I just don't like the idea that something as simple as a grip comes in different pieces.

I actually thought the same thing, and didn't get my MIAD until a couple of months ago, and even then I only put it on my 9mm "toy" AR. After shooting the 9mm with the MIAD, I really came to like it. Yes, I would still prefer that it was all one piece, but after owning one I can see where that is really a non-issue.

ST911
09-22-07, 09:29
I have large hands and long fingers. Anything with finger grooves tends to be a bad, or at least sub-optimal, fit for me. I've used the A2 for years and made it work. Of the aftermarket stuff, the Ergogrip got the closest. I got to try a MIAD recently, and ended up with it when it didn't work for the original owner. I ran it for the balance of a class, and it's a keeper.

Gunfixr
09-23-07, 00:44
I have the CAA G27 grip on mine and like it, although I had to modify it a little. The second finger groove was in the wrong place so I removed it, and stippled it all over, as it was slick on the back, where the most pressure is if you end up with the rifle in one hand. So now it is totally non-slip and only has the one finger groove at the top. I also liked the beavertail-like extension that moved my hand back. I don't really like any grips covered in rubber on a serious gun, as it just grabs all the wrong things. I couldn't get into the MIAD, even though if I tried it I would probably like it. I just don't see spending that kind of money to put on a set of pieces and put the rest in the closet or the trash. To each his own, however, if you want one, go for it. I'm not a warrior for a living, I just like to pretend sometimes, so to me it's just a grip.

Buck50
09-23-07, 04:48
Since I don’t have large hands, I find I’m partial to the TD Battle Grip, the Hogue grip, A1 grip with a Gapper, and the DuckBill Tactical Grip (http://www.duckbillgrip.com/). If I had larger hands, I would have to rethink my choices.

AR15barrels
09-23-07, 12:08
DuckBill Tactical Grip (http://www.duckbillgrip.com/)

None of the important pictures are working on that website.
How about posting a picture of your duck for us...

AirNavy
09-23-07, 14:03
None of the important pictures are working on that website.
How about posting a picture of your duck for us...

Not great pics, but they do show up: http://www.duckbillgrip.com/home.htm

abnk
09-24-07, 22:25
I got a TD and I like so far. My only concern is that it uses a hexagonal screw. If I use a flat-head screw, should I use the plastic washer that comes with the TD grip or the metal one from the A2 grip?

Thanks.

toddackerman
09-25-07, 00:58
I've never heard of anyone breaking a MIAD. If you drive the pin into the backstrap it's never going to come apart(assuming it would come apart anyhow). The MIAD feels the best out of any grip I have tried.

+1 on the MIAD. It's NOT complicated, and once you have YOUR configuration built, the pins keep it solidly locked into one piece. I use the AA Battery insert. Extra batteries on the weapon is always a good thing IMHO.

I agree with Rob on the Ergo grip...too many notches.

Tack

mmike87
09-25-07, 11:55
I have shot with the standard grip, the Hogue grip, and the MIAD. I have one Hogue and two MIADs across three rifles. The MIAD is my current grip of choice.

With the appropriate backstrap it fits my hand well, the configurable storage compartment is nice and give you options.

However - I'm afraid to use the "extra three rounds" core because I fear that I will have the rifle someplace where loaded weapons are not allowed and get caught with those three rounds in the grip - and have some idiot claim that the weapon is "loaded." Probably silly - but maybe not.

toddackerman
09-25-07, 12:44
I have shot with the standard grip, the Hogue grip, and the MIAD. I have one Hogue and two MIADs across three rifles. The MIAD is my current grip of choice.

With the appropriate backstrap it fits my hand well, the configurable storage compartment is nice and give you options.

However - I'm afraid to use the "extra three rounds" core because I fear that I will have the rifle someplace where loaded weapons are not allowed and get caught with those three rounds in the grip - and have some idiot claim that the weapon is "loaded." Probably silly - but maybe not.

I agree...I wouldn't put loaded rounds in the grip either.

Tack

shark31
09-25-07, 14:30
I put a couple of spare parts in my MIAD, I carry my batteries in a 3 day pack.

abnk
09-27-07, 20:31
I got a TD and I like so far. My only concern is that it uses a hexagonal screw. If I use a flat-head screw, should I use the plastic washer that comes with the TD grip or the metal one from the A2 grip?

Thanks.

Any advice on the washer, gents.

Robb Jensen
09-27-07, 20:39
Any advice on the washer, gents.

I would highly suggest using the hex head screw that comes with the TangoDown with the TangoDown. If having a slotted screw is that important you use use a hacksaw or dremel to create it on the TangoDown screw.

abnk
09-27-07, 21:18
Thanks.

abnk
09-29-07, 12:14
I tried mounting the grip today, but it does not align correctly. If I align it correctly, the screw will not go in. When the screw is in, the grip is pivoted rearward which causes the selector detent spring to bend. On top of this, it moves front and back.

I tried two A2 grips and both attach correctly. Has anyone else had similar problems with TD?

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

SuicideHz
09-29-07, 12:36
Do you have a Noveske lower? I know a lot of earlier NRW lowers had trouble with the MIADs and the hole in the grip had to be egged out.

Stickman
09-29-07, 12:59
I've broken an Ergo grip, I'll stick with the MIAD, or the A2 grip. The TD grip is also very good, but it doesn't quite fit my hand right.

abnk
09-29-07, 13:51
The lower is Eagle Arms (Armalite). Again, two different A2 grips fit it just fine. I like the feel of the TD though, so I'll see if I can replace it.

ultima ratio
09-29-07, 15:24
I had the same problem. A2 grip fits perfectly but the hole in the TD grip was not in line with the lower. On a trade show I got a new one for free and I was able to put in on. The backside is still not in line with the lower, there is a small offset. If regular A2 grips fit, logic is it's not the lower which is out of specs. I like the TD grip better than any other grip for my not too big hands.

HAMMERDROP
09-29-07, 19:44
"...Before you know it, you have box full of 20-30 dollar grips you don't like."
I hear you on this ...
I dislike the MIAD less than I dislike most every grip mentioned...
... check this out I still have it I got it from Steve @Falcon Industries (ERGO) it is an FAL grip for the AR ...you talk about a messed up grip angle but he sez he made some on a bet and they went over like lead sleds... I guess thats why I have it LOL

gunny
09-29-07, 23:22
MAID & G27's work for me.

sns3guppy
10-01-07, 00:08
I haven't found anything that I like nearly as much as the MIAD grip. Magpul products are good products, and their grip is an excellent example. I don't know that it could be improved upon, and it's my choice for every AR pattern rifle, hands down.

I'd like to see it made for other types of rifles, too.