PDA

View Full Version : What's your running regimen?

Kchen986
03-16-11, 21:26
I have looked at the "Cut Time Off Running" Thread (found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71401) and done some interval sprints interspersed with longer runs, but with the Bar exam and graduation around the corner, I haven't made running a priority, resulting in me failing my past month's PT run by 3 seconds (2 miles, 16:39, which is pretty pathetic).

At my best, I ran a 14:12 2mile, and could have probably done better when I left basic training, since we did a lot of rucking and were on our feet all day.

I've dropped an unnecessary class from school and want to bring my run time down in to the 14s to remain competitive for OCS. I max my PU and SU, but that's pretty easy to do. With flat feet I've always had trouble maintaining strength in my legs and avoiding knee/shin pain.

My question is: For many of you fit people, what did you do to build up to a faster run, and, could you post what your weekly schedule looks like? In high school I ran every other day, and I'd like to pick that up again while avoiding injuries. I see that some people use bicycles/ellipticals in lieu of running. How do you all integrate that in to your regimen?

Thanks!

superr.stu
03-16-11, 22:35
Mileage is going to be your best bet. 4,5,6 mile runs at a steady pace...not starting out at 6:30/mile, and finishing at 14/mile. If you feel you are strong enough to mix in a little workout, you can do some fartlek (speed play) work on a distance run. Either by time like 30sec at up tempo 60-90sec at regular tempo, or change gears between light poles. I usually do that about once a week use the first mile or so of a run to settle in, transition to fartlek for 4miles then cruise in the last mile or so, it can be a hell of a workout. If you have bad knees spend as much time on the grass as you can, if they're hurting you try and get on a bike or in a pool. If you want to get on the track something like 12x400 @ 1:42 with 60sec between reps would be a solid workout.

My weekly outline is along the lines of
Sun: long run Mon: hard workout (tempo on track) Tues: med dist. Wed: med workout (speed over distance) Thurs: med dist. Fri: hard workout (Vo2) Sat: short run.

Hizzie
03-17-11, 09:43
I began running as part of my PT from hip surgery. My current routine is 3 running days over 2 weeks.

Tuesday-distance work. This week was 2.25 miles. I ran harder/faster than I should of cuz grandma was NOT going to lap me.

Saturday-1.5 mile for time. Gotta be ready for the next physical agility test.

Thursday-speed work. 2-3 x .5 mile sprints with .25 mile walks to cool down after each sprint.

Since December I have shaved 3 minutes off of my 1.5 mile to 11:31

I still do strength training for my legs just not to the level I push my upper body. Still not ready to go 100% on my rebuild. Upper body strength training is done 3 x week and cardio is done on non-lifting/running days for a total of 6 training days a week.

chuckman
03-17-11, 10:58
Since I am no longer in Uncle Sam's employment, my running plan is built around what feels good to me. Every week I do a long slow run, 5 30-second sprints as fast as I can with short breath-catching intervals in between, hill runs, and 2-mile maintenance runs. They are rarely the same every week in terms of location or what day of the week I do them. As for speed, the sprints and the 2-mile runs work for me...my mile and 2 mile times are getting faster.

the_master_midget
03-20-11, 23:20
My running plan is 4 days a week. Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sun 3,5,3,5. I am not in training mode right now but this is a minimum I try to run a week. Wednesdays I either do a speed work out or a 3 mile slow run with leg work out depending on how my body feels. I think the most important thing to do is buy running shoes from an actually running store not a foot locker type store. Run in a shoe that feels good to you, but buy light weight. Every one pound on your feet is like 6 lbs on your back. I run in both New Balance MT 101's for speed work outs and short runs and saucony or salomon trail shoes on anything over 10 miles. To build speed I do sprints followed by recovery jog, hill sprints, and super jumps( jump as high as you can) interval training will build speed with time if you put in the work. speed is slower to gain then endurance but you need both to achive a goal. I change it up every week so I don't get bored. I also trail run cause it keeps me occupied looking for snakes and shit to kill ( I'm a big hunter) Go to a few short races to see how your times stack up under competition. I enter 5k-15k races to see where my running times are while training for upcoming events. competition and stress will make you perform better if you are mentally prepared.

Most important is to get out and do it. No single piece of gear is going to make you better, but doing it and figuring out what works best for you is going to perpetuate you far more than any advice from others. I ran my first marathon over a year ago, I'm not a 130 lb runners build I am an athletic 205 lbs. next year I am going to do a 50 mile mtn run and an iron man to test myself. Fat ass Oprah ran a marathon... just something to think about.

Also Kyle Defoor has excellent advice on his site that you can use for yourself.

Gunfighter 9
03-21-11, 10:35
I have been using this routine for a few months now. There is nothing really scientific involved. I just kind of developed it based on what works for me. Keep in mind my fitness goal is to be able run a mile and a half in 12 or less. I average about 11:35 right now.

Mon - walk 5 min about 4 mph pace run 35 min about 7.5 mph pace or about an 8:10 mile. I have a path in my local area I run with a mix of up and down hill lenghts. Total distance is between 4.5 to 4.6 miles including the warm up walk.

Tue - walk 5 min 3.9 mph pace run 20 min 7.5 mph pace with 1% incline on treadmill. Total distance is 2.82 including the warmup.

Wed - Same as Mon

Thr - Same as Tue

Fri - Same as Mon

Sat - Same as Tue

Sun - Rest day

Again this is what works for me and I use it for maintenance more than anything else. I am happy with my run times so I am not looking to shave time off. I use the treadmill as a means to train myself to keep a certain pace and to prevent injuries from running on concrete everyday. It has worked for me so far.

Eric Shelton
03-22-11, 21:25
Since hurting myself last year in Vibram Five Fingers (over-did it and strained my secondary arch, was on crutches for a month) I've been a little too cautious. I've been doing long runs (for me) of 5-6 miles at a slow 6mph pace on a treadmill in good running shoes. It dawned on me that I could "run" forever at that pace, but I wouldn't score to my satisfaction on my PT test.

The past couple nights I've simply run shorter distances and faster. I use a playlist on my iPod with songs all of the same beats per minute. As long as I run in candence to the music, I stay at 8mph. (fast enough for an Air Guard weenie :sarcastic:)

Right now I alternate my runs like that- fast days and long days. And I'm feeling stronger/faster...

90slow50
03-23-11, 20:45
Here is what I am currently doing. I am doing the "intermediate" to beat my 1:44 time last year for the OKC half-marathon. This has/will definitely make me faster this year in May. The basic difference between "novice" and "intermediate" is speed and hill work. If you want to get faster, work in a day or two a week of running sprints or hills.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

elephantrider
05-06-11, 21:34
Doing interval runs and running uphill has worked for me to improve my average mile pace. Should help you improve your two mile PT test time as well.

For interval runs I alternate between a working lap (about as fast a quarter mile as I can manage with out falling over or getting light headed) and one or two resting laps. The laps are on a standard quater mile track. If you do a little googleing on interval training you can find some expert advice on the correct ratio of working time to resting time for interval running. "Correct," meaning it will give the most benefit for your time spent.

For uphill running I have recently begun running up a nearby sloped driveway for some of my working lap intervals. The driveway is about 50 yards long and close to a 10% grade.

Key for both is to push yourself wheather you are running aroung the track or uphill.

Do some research on proper form for your stride and breathing. Proper technique for those can make your running much more efficient and faster.

WillBrink
05-09-11, 10:00
My question is: For many of you fit people, what did you do to build up to a faster run,

Work on MA and other skills so I don't have to run from people...

100% KIDDING. Couldn't resist that one. :D

Carry on...:cool:

santi210
05-09-11, 14:02
All of these suggestions are good workouts but the one thing everyone failed to mention is your heart rate. You can run 10 miles but if you are not working your heart enough its all for nothing and you will not see the results you want. Same theory applies to weightlifting. In order to increase in strength you must increase weight. We all know that during a run your legs are not the first thing to go out. The thing that kills people is their cardiovascular stamina. There are three things you need to know before setting your running goals. They are as follows:

Resting Heart Rate= # of heart beats per minute
Before you do this take 5 minutes and relax. Do not thing about what your rate is going to be or anything else that will get the heart pumping. This will screw up your number.

After you got this done get your Max heart rate. MHR is simple. Take 220-age and that is your MHR. This is the number you do not want to go over when performing any cardio exercise. There is a strong possibility you will go into cardiac arrest...not a good thing

So you got both of those number right? Now we can calculate your Target heart rate. This is the number that is most important. If you really want to see an increase you must hit this heart rate when you run. Now this might mean that you can no longer run a full 2 miles at this rate but thats not the point. The point is keeping your heart rate where it needs to be so that when you do run the 2 miles it will be alot easier which in turn decreases run time.

Here is the formula to get your THR- (MHR – RHR=HEART RATE RESERVE) (0.70) + RHR = THR

No matter what running plan you choose from (interval, long distance, ect..) you need to make sure you are hitting that THR or you will not see the results you want. My suggestion is to go out and but a heart rate monitor and use it while running. Monitor your heart rate and push yourself to stay within that prescribed number. If you can do that for only a mile then thats fine but the next time you run you will probably be able to do it for 1.25 miles and consistently increase over time.