PDA

View Full Version : Big time noob mistake

Silver_2325
03-16-11, 22:26
So I was installing my Tango Down Battlegrip on my new BCM lower and I made the mistake of using the screw that came with the factory grip. Long story short it was too long and ended up cramming the spring down in the well and I cant remove it. Is this going to be a big problem or can the spring be pried out and replaced? I dont have the tools or the competence necessary to fix this on my own. Is there an easy solution?

Iraqgunz
03-16-11, 22:35
Are you saying the spring "crammed" itself into the pistol grip? If so, you simply use a piece of wire and that should pull it out.

So I was installing my Tango Down Battlegrip on my new BCM lower and I made the mistake of using the screw that came with the factory grip. Long story short it was too long and ended up cramming the spring down in the well and I cant remove it. Is this going to be a big problem or can the spring be pried out and replaced? I dont have the tools or the competence necessary to fix this on my own. Is there an easy solution?

Silver_2325
03-16-11, 22:43
No, it is crammed into the well in which it normally sits. I basically have a lot of play between 10 and 2 on the selector switch and it wont go to "safe". The safety detent fell out after I removed the TD grip when I realized I messed up. I can see the spring smashed in the well.

Iraqgunz
03-16-11, 22:54
Get a piece of thin stout wire and you should be able to remove it. Don't know what else to say.

No, it is crammed into the well in which it normally sits. I basically have a lot of play between 10 and 2 on the selector switch and it wont go to "safe". The safety detent fell out after I removed the TD grip when I realized I messed up. I can see the spring smashed in the well.

Silver_2325
03-16-11, 23:03
Okay, I dont have a thin piece of wire laying around right now but it seems this problem can be corrected without serious measures. That is all I was asking...

Silver_2325
03-16-11, 23:23
Finished product with busted selector switch. Surely you can see why I am upset with myself...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/Golden_Homer/IMG_2768_1.jpg

Packman73
03-16-11, 23:54
Nice rifle. I hope you get it straightened out.

nynco
03-17-11, 00:27
I have to ask because from the description, it sounds like you are missing the pin that is supposed to be in front of the spring. Without the pin, the spring would sit too deep and do what you say. With the spring it should stick out and go into grip part. Did you put the detent pin in there?

bkb0000
03-17-11, 06:40
im totally lost... so you used a too-long screw with your pistol grip, and that somehow squished the selector detent spring down inside the pistol grip selector detent spring hole?

using too long a screw with your pistol grip should not cause that to happen, unless it's just too early and im somehow failing to grasp something

if the spring is mashed down inside the selector detent spring hole in the pistol grip, the hole is probably too small or something. it should expand and contract freely inside the hole

rob_s
03-17-11, 06:54
Let's be careful here guys.

OP. If you still have the problem with the spring/grip, take a picture closer up showing the problem. For most of us here your written description isn't making sense and it may just be a case of having the wrong terminology.

seb5
03-17-11, 07:08
You said the detent fell out? And the spring is up inside. Did you put the detent or the spring in the receiver first? It almost sounds like the detent went in after the spring, which would be backwards. Anyway, easy fix. If you can't get a wire in there a very small drill bit, turned by hand will yield the results you need.

Smuckatelli
03-17-11, 07:48
I have to ask because from the description, it sounds like you are missing the pin that is supposed to be in front of the spring. Without the pin, the spring would sit too deep and do what you say. With the spring it should stick out and go into grip part. Did you put the detent pin in there?

+1, it does sound like the detent pin is missing. Take the grip off, wiggle the lower receiver a little and work the selector out. Get a thin piece of flexible wire and work it in the hole from the selector area. You might want to pick up another spring with the detent also, there is a chance that the speing may have gotten screwed when switching the selector between safe & fire.

BTW, don't worry about the placement of the ACOG, you will get it where it needs to be for you when you get some rounds down range and break in your rifle.

Good job on the build, it looks great.

Iraqgunz
03-17-11, 14:08
I should have asked for more clarification. You're right that his post is confusing.

Let's be careful here guys.

OP. If you still have the problem with the spring/grip, take a picture closer up showing the problem. For most of us here your written description isn't making sense and it may just be a case of having the wrong terminology.

Silver_2325
03-17-11, 19:58
I figured it out guys. I wedged the selector spring so bad I had to take apart the trigger assembly to get it out. Detent pin was fine and I had put that in first when I installed the new grip. I am putting the trigger assembly back together right now. Good learning experience. Still not sure exactly how I crammed the spring in the well so bad.

Thanks for the responses.

Silver_2325
03-17-11, 20:25
Just figured out what I did wrong. I put the spring in the hole where the screw for the grip goes. Did I mention I am a noob?

On the plus side I now know how to completely disassemble and reassemble the trigger assembly. Function check says everything is working properly. That was fun.

BCmJUnKie
03-17-11, 20:36
Thats awesome you learned something. Now you know. Nice rifle by the way

Silver_2325
03-17-11, 20:41
Thats awesome you learned something. Now you know. Nice rifle by the way

When I was talking to the guy that sold me the rifle he said to be careful for the spring and pin when I took the old grip off so I just assumed that is where it went.

We didnt get to take apart the lower receiver for cleaning when I was in the Army so this was new territory for me. Lesson learned.

Hammertime
03-17-11, 20:43
LOL...

It's all good man. I did a search on youtube and found this for video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In7vo3DyOzU

You may also be able to find a youtube install video for new rail systems or accessories - doesn't hurt to check.

Best of luck and good shooting

Bryant

nynco
03-17-11, 20:57
There might be damage to the spring and pin. It might be advised to replace them with new ones as a precaution.

Silver_2325
03-17-11, 21:40
There might be damage to the spring and pin. It might be advised to replace them with new ones as a precaution.

Pin is fine, it never left the hole it was supposed to be in. The spring was hosed and was replaced with a new one.

nynco
03-17-11, 22:30
Well sounds like you have it sorted. Be safe and have fun shootin.

KaBar762
03-18-11, 10:06
Finished product with busted selector switch. Surely you can see why I am upset with myself...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/Golden_Homer/IMG_2768_1.jpg

You might want to move your RCO back to get the proper eye relief.

browneu
03-18-11, 10:37
You might want to move your RCO back to get the proper eye relief.

Your rear BUIS is too far forward. It should sit directly above the BCM logo and the sight will fold backward to lie above the charging handle. That is why you have your ACOG has to sit so far forward for your rear sight to flip up.

Moving everything back will correct any issues.