PDA

View Full Version : 9V SF Millenium versus 6V??? or other???

toddackerman
09-20-07, 22:43
I've had the 9V SF 962 for 2 years now, and although it is "Bullet Proof" and lights up the night...I'm thinking it's overkill, overweight, and considering going to the 6V version.

What do you guys think, and IF I was to go to something lighter and less bright....what SF light would you suggest and why. I'm wide open on this! Scout Light? LED versus traditional etc. The only requisite is that it be SF, and goes on my LMT rail. I'm not interested in the SF Model that is also a VFG.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tack

Haji
09-21-07, 16:00
Which lamp are you running in your 9V light? If you're using the standard lamp, you can go to a 6V light with the upgraded lamp and get pretty damn close to the same output. The trade off will be that your battery life will be lessened.

What are you doing with it? If your light use is mostly outside, across long distances (which appears to be unlikely, due to your statement that the (v system is overkill), then the incandescent lights are preferable to LED's. LED's just don't have the long distance "throw" that an incandescent does. LED's diffuse light in all directions, so the beam "spreads" more than a tungsten filament lamp does. The advantages of the LED are substantial, though: no need to shock isolate because there's no filament to break, and the light can be much smaller and lighter.

If it were for my rifle, I'd be looking primarily at the Scout and the X200 with one of the tape switch options. I recently saw an X200 tailcap assembly that was basically an XM switch for the X200. Both of those lights are a fraction of the weight of the Millennium series lights, with enough light output to get jobs done.

toddackerman
09-21-07, 18:11
Thanks Haji....

Intended for indoor use primarily. Probably ONLY.

Going to go with the Scout Light Package from Grant. Very well designed with Sure Fire Components and a LaRue mount, and shrouded switch. It's a 6 Volt system with ruggedized components. Don't want a tape switch. Weak hand thumb in an offset mount is what I have trained with for 2 years and what my "Memory" will guide me to for the light.

The M962C is absolutely a great light! Bullet Proof! Lights up the night! I just don't need that much ruggedness and weight. I'm recovering from back surgery and the less the rifle weighs...the better.

I'm also selling my "Mint Condition" OTAL and LaRue mount as I believe they would complicate things for my intended use, which is a Home Defense piece, and lighten the load a little more. It's for sale on the EE on TOS.

Tack

Haji
09-22-07, 21:08
The Scout Light is a sweet system. For your purposes, you made a just about perfect choice. 'Course, with Surefire quality, its hard to go wrong.

Evan_O
09-26-07, 03:45
I use the SureFire 952 on my duty carbine and have nothing but great results. I started with the 962 but found it was over kill. Another Deputy and friend suggested the 952 and I could not be happier.