PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Glock, Got a surprise...I think. Pic inside.

Th3Revreant
03-17-11, 23:06
I picked up a decent deal on a Glock 22 today. A Big R store here in montana had a deal on a Glock 22, a box of hydra-shok ammo, two magazines and it had a set of fairly new trijicon night sights installed already for $400. Was looking at both magazines and noticed one had Restricted LE/GOVT only and the date 9-13-1994 engraved on it. Anything special bout this magazine? Prolly not, just have never seen a glock magazine with a date and a serial number on the bottom. Pic below, please post any comments or knowledge of this magazine.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww58/reaperpaintball08/DSCN2952.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-17-11, 23:15
Its a child of the AWB. Nothing too special, just a little old.

markm
03-17-11, 23:23
Those mags are vintage Gen 3 or some such. Use them for range mags. And shoot up the hydro-shoks too.

Get some modern era ammo for defensive use. :)

Th3Revreant
03-17-11, 23:25
kinda figured as much. Already have some new magazines I bought with it as well. Any input on best 40 cal self defense ammo? Ive always carried hydra-shok ammo. Winchester Ranger 40sw is pretty good if you can get ahold of it i hear.

Ak44
03-18-11, 00:16
I got some of those when I put in an order with an online retailer. I think they are cool because they say all that stuff on it, I use them as training mags. It's a good reminder of how ridiculous the AWB was...:cool:

Eric Shelton
03-18-11, 00:24
My understanding is that most of the modern bullets in .40 are fairly decent performers. I'm not a .40 guy, so take that with a grain of salt... Right now I'm using Federal HST 124gr. +P in my G19. I believe it's the successor to HydraShok, and my local cop shop sells it in boxes of 50 for about $20 (in 9mm).

I hear nothing but good about Winchester Ranger (esp. 127gr +P+), and would suggest it. I'm doing HST for price point and availability.

(As to the topic of the OP, I've actually traded magazines to get some of those LEO marked ones. It may be silly that I treat 'em like baseball cards, I like to think it speaks to my desire to curate a museum someday.)

Ak44
03-18-11, 00:28
Check Dr Roberts sticky in the Terminal Ballistics sub forum for good carry ammo.

Timbonez
03-18-11, 02:52
Like Ak44 mentioned, here is Dr. Roberts' thread on duty and self-defense loads:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

QuietShootr
03-18-11, 07:54
Who else thinks it's awesome that we have chilluns who don't even recognize an AWB-marked magazine?

iCarbine
03-18-11, 08:29
Who else thinks it's awesome that we have chilluns who don't even recognize an AWB-marked magazine?

No offense OP, but +1.

PaulL
03-18-11, 10:14

After the ban, I bought a pile of those mags for my 19. I thought they were cool, too. I remember getting them for 12 bucks! :eek:

I did have a mildly tense moment with an uninformed LEO once, though. He disarmed me on a traffic stop (SOP maybe?) and had apparently missed the "AWB is over" memo. Nice guy, but a little late to the party. I started carrying the plain jane mags after that, just to avoid the situation. I doubt that would ever happen nowadays.

Th3Revreant
03-18-11, 10:44

I am aware of the fact that it was a AWB magazine, date kinda gave that away. Original questions was just geared toward seeing if it was anything special other than :rolleyes: Thanks for all the replies.

QuietShootr
03-18-11, 10:53
I am aware of the fact that it was a AWB magazine, date kinda gave that away. Original questions was just geared toward seeing if it was anything special other than :rolleyes: Thanks for all the replies.

Wasn't picking on you, I was thinking it was great that someone even had to ask the question.

Th3Revreant
03-18-11, 11:06
Wasn't picking on you, I was thinking it was great that someone even had to ask the question.

No worries, not too easily offended :D Just a little behind on the glock sitch, this is the first ive ever owned.

Lumpy196
03-18-11, 11:53
I am aware of the fact that it was a AWB magazine, date kinda gave that away.

So if the date isn't what made you ask then what was?

Th3Revreant
03-18-11, 12:11
The feedlips are a little different, the serial number, follower is a little different and the mag catch notches on the magazine are a little different. Just the small things that I noticed caught my attention.

ST911
03-18-11, 13:06

My first thought wasn't "awesome", it was, "I'm getting old."

But yeah, that's awesome. Sunset was almost seven years ago. Someone in their early 20s coming into the hobby was only 13-16 or so at the time, and younger than that during the ban. Time flies.

QuietShootr
03-18-11, 13:07

Thanks for harshing my buzz, asshole.

:D

ST911
03-18-11, 13:36
Thanks for harshing my buzz, asshole.
;)

:lol:

Had a similar experience with a young guy on the line, who had picked up "some of those new Glock mags." You know...the ones with the U at the top that stick in place.

:eek:

skyugo
03-18-11, 20:57
The feedlips are a little different, the serial number, follower is a little different and the mag catch notches on the magazine are a little different. Just the small things that I noticed caught my attention.

i have 2 of those mags. they occasionally cause malfunctions

CAVDOC
03-19-11, 09:44
I think what you are calling a serial number is the date the awb took effect. the same number will appear on all mags made during the ban. Living in NY we can only have pre-ban mags- if caught in possession of a mag so marked in NY is a felony

Th3Revreant
03-19-11, 14:12
There is an actual serial on the mag floorplate. It was an old police dept magazine im assuming.

usmcvet
03-19-11, 14:54

I hope it stays that way. I wish I'd been old enough in the 80's to have been buying machine guns.

GhostB14
04-03-11, 13:29
I got a wood box at a yard sale full of stuff which included two .40 cal and two 9mm mags like that for the midsize Glocks years before I even owned a Glock. I gave the .40's to a LEO friend and kept the 9mm's. Glad I kept them ;)

eightmillimeter
04-03-11, 17:56

Glock tweeks and changes each part of the mags every year it seems. Anything made within the last 6 years has all been perfect for me.

Avenger29
04-03-11, 19:53

But yeah, that's awesome. Sunset was almost seven years ago. Someone in their early 20s coming into the hobby was only 13-16 or so at the time, and younger than that during the ban. Time flies.

*Raises hand* I was 16 and just really becoming aware of EBRs when the ban sunset (and of course, as a 10th grader, did not have the money or ability to purchase one). I remember being thrilled due to the sunset and scared of it coming back. First EBR I ever handled was a Daweoo DR200. Got sucked into the idea that ARs were unreliable POS that couldn't stop a field rat and saved my money for a Springfield M1A or a Garand...joined THR.org back when it was worth a damn and started learning. Life intervened (fortunately) and I didn't have the money for a couple more years to really purchase a rifle (and thankfully I found both this site and a reputable FFL to guide me)

Army Chief
04-03-11, 20:01
I wish I'd been old enough in the 80's to have been buying machine guns.

I was old enough -- just didn't have any money.

At the time, $1,500 for a decent M-16A1 seemed like a lot; especially when you could buy a Colt Sporter II carbine for 1/3 of that.

AC