PDA

View Full Version : CMMG Semi Auto Bolt Carrier?

ContractSoldier
03-18-11, 00:58
Need info on the CMMG semi auto bolt assembly, has anyone here, had any experience with this bolt and what do you think of their quality?

I can get one for a good deal right now, for use with my next rifle build.

Here's the manufactures specs:

Semi Auto Carrier is made of 8620 steel , chrome lined, Magnetic Particle tested, Bolt is made out of 9310 Steel, Magnetic Particle tested and Shot Peened.

Find ManBearPig!
03-18-11, 01:03
Need info on the CMMG semi auto bolt assembly, has anyone here, had any experience with this bolt and what do you think of their quality?

I can get one for a good deal right now, for use with my next rifle build.

Here's the manufactures specs:

Semi Auto Carrier is made of 8620 steel , chrome lined, Magnetic Particle tested, Bolt is made out of 9310 Steel, Magnetic Particle tested and Shot Peened.

Check the staking on the carrier. CMMG isn't really held in high regard. I would just save your money and buy a bolt from a company with higher standards.

ContractSoldier
03-18-11, 01:32
Check the staking on the carrier. CMMG isn't really held in high regard. I would just save your money and buy a bolt from a company with higher standards.

What good companys are out their?

I've heard some good things about CMT stuff, I don't know if the same can be said for their non military brand, Stag Arms.

Iraqgunz
03-18-11, 01:34
Colt sells their BCG's direct now. You can also get Bravo Company, Daniel Defense or LMT.

What good companys are out their?

I've heard some good things about CMT stuff, I don't know if the same can be said for their non military brand, Stag Arms.

ZRH
03-18-11, 01:52
Colt sells their BCG's direct now. You can also get Bravo Company, Daniel Defense or LMT.
This.

And do you want a semi auto carrier? There are specific advantages of using the originally designed BCG (more mass, not having the firing pin push down the hammer).

ContractSoldier
03-18-11, 03:56
This.

And do you want a semi auto carrier? There are specific advantages of using the originally designed BCG (more mass, not having the firing pin push down the hammer).

Yes, I will be using a semi auto only carrier, so any input on the best semi auto only brand out there, would be great. I've read all those ATF letters posted here and there, and I still don't trust using anything other then a semi auto BCG. It's their personal ruling at present date, and theirs nothing stopping them from changing that ruling in the future. It wouldn't be the first time that they have went back on what they have said, and a ruling is just that, a ruling, not the law.

Anyway, not trying suggest that anyone else follow my lead, just my personal opinion on the subject matter. But that being said, I need to know what are my best options for semo auto only carriers, I was looking a CMT MPI bolt carrier groups as I haven't heard anything bad about those.

ZRH
03-18-11, 04:14

Iraqgunz
03-18-11, 04:22
Seriously? If you believe that then you should either loosen the tin foil or stay off the net completely so they don't track you.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of auto BCG's in circulation. And to clarify another matter. They never said they were legal or illegal. What they said is of you add parts to your weapon that make it go full auto, then you have made a machine gun.

Smart people know that the BCG PLAYS NO ROLE WHATSEVER in the the process. So if effect there was no "ruling".

If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Yes, I will be using a semi auto only carrier, so any input on the best semi auto only brand out there, would be great. I've read all those ATF letters posted here and there, and I still don't trust using anything other then a semi auto BCG. It's their personal ruling at present date, and theirs nothing stopping them from changing that ruling in the future. It wouldn't be the first time that they have went back on what they have said, and a ruling is just that, a ruling, not the law.

Anyway, not trying suggest that anyone else follow my lead, just my personal opinion on the subject matter. But that being said, I need to know what are my best options for semo auto only carriers, I was looking a CMT MPI bolt carrier groups as I haven't heard anything bad about those.

ZRH
03-18-11, 05:58
You are correct. This is language everyone always cries about: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-b.pdf Which is about DIASs. The part about the BCG is a side note, safety warning, which IN CONTEXT makes more sense.

ATF has encountered various AR-15 type rifles such as those manufactured by Colt, E.A. Company, SGW, Sendra and others which have been assembled with fire control components designed for use in M16 machine guns.

The vast majority of these rifles which have been assembled with an M16 bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector will fire automatically merely by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector. Many of these rifles using less than the 5 M16 parts listed above will also shoot automatically by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector.

Any weapon which shoots automatically, more than 1 shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger, is a machine gun as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), the National Firearms Act (NFA). In addition, the definition of machine gun also includes any combination of parts from which a machine gun may be assembled, if such parts are in possession or under the control of a person. An AR-15 type assault rifle which fires more than one shot by a single function o the trigger is a machine gun under the NFA. Any machine gun is subject to the NFA and the possession of an unregistered machine gun could the possessor to criminal prosecution.

and THEN the part everyone cries about:

In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.

The letter everyone always posts is a CLARIFICATION of that. They have never made a ruling on the BCG, all they have ever said was that if your rifle fires more than one shot per trigger press it is a machine gun regardless of it having a standard BCG or magical ****ing fairies installed.

I choose not to argue with people about it though. It's their loss not mine.

MistWolf
03-18-11, 06:52
ContractSoldier, read the following excerpt from the post ZRH made carefully-

"In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used..." (Italics added.)

Note "and" was used, not "or". Using the M16 carrier is a violation only if the carrier and all the preceding parts are used and all the parts are unmodified. Using an M16 carrier by itself is not a violation.
IBTL

rapomstage3
03-18-11, 07:07
I have personal experience with cmmg's m16 bcg. It came unstaked at 300 rnds. of course it was fixable but i was 2 hours from anywhere i could take care of it. It ruined a day of shooting. Im just glad it was me being recreational and not a leo or soldier that it happened too.

turdbocharged
03-18-11, 07:08
magical ****ing fairies installed.:haha:

Yeah I had to go the NFA route to get these. I'm just lucky my state allows the use of magic...

But seriously why would many manufacturers sell complete rifles with the full auto bolt carrier if it were illegal? Just get a BCM, Colt, LMT, whatever bolt and be done with it.

ffhounddog
03-18-11, 09:27
Get a LMT Semi Auto if you must go Semi-Auto. You can find them for $115.00 plus shipping or from LMT for $125 shipped

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-18-11, 12:48
No reason to not buy quality in this market. I just bought a spare BCM BCG and Bolt (Auto) for about $150 shipped to my door.

karlb
03-19-11, 21:37
They're out of stock again, but I got a Daniel Defense BCG for $129 to my door from AIM last week.

Bimmer
03-20-11, 21:35

I have a CMMG with the semi-auto BCG.

Mea culpa: I bought it before I knew better, and at the time CMMG was the only source for a lightweight midlength.

Once I learned better (quickly) I replaced the bolt itself with one from BCM (the original CMMG bolt is now a spare). The staking was done well.

I've now fired 1,000+ rounds with the CMMG semi-auto BCG, and it's been fine. I couldn't seem any point to changing it out, and I still don't...

Bimmer
03-21-11, 19:25
Has anyone used there .22 cal conversion? Is it worth the money

Yes. Depends.

There are already several looong threads on the CMMG .22 conversion. Search for them...

pcardinal42
03-21-11, 21:26
I have a semi auto BCG from CMMG. It has ran fine with no malfunctions for over 800 rounds and is staked properly, that being said I am upgrading it to one from BCM. I don't like to take chances with my shooting.

TehLlama
03-21-11, 23:37
I love my CMMG stuff... now that I have installed LMT, DD, BCM, and G&R/CMT bolt carrier groups in them. They're acceptable once staked (they seem to be CMT units that are staked in shop, hence the variability).