PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a low profile, PINNED, gas block???

SHIVAN
08-10-06, 10:55
Well, do you? I think set screws are OK, when you can see the block and such, but I'm leary of using a low profile block under the handguards where I can't observe any movement.

I know some people have done this, got pictures or resources for who can do it well?

VA_Dinger
08-10-06, 11:11
I don't have my low profile gas blocks pinned yet, but I know that needs to get done. I have already contacted Steve to have Adco do it. I also know Noveske does the pinning if you ask them.

I never considered it a problem either (Red locktite) until LAV asked me one day if mine were pinned. I answered no and he asked me another question; "Name one firearm with a gas block held on by just set screws"? I obviously could not name one so the point was well taken.

I guess Larry has seen them come loose and considering following his advise is just plain smart I will be getting my pinned.

Ed, thanks for reminding me. Adco only charges $25 for doing it.

dubb-1
08-10-06, 11:16
Thanks. We look forward to being able to help.:cool:

Hoplophile
08-10-06, 13:05
On the build I jut finished the barrel had a normal FSB. I had planned to shave it down so it would fit under the handguard but one of the taper pins was so tight I finally just cut the FSB to get it off. I'll probably send the barrel off to have a FSB fit to it, then shave it down like I originally planned but for now I'm using a Vltor clamp style gas block. It fits under the KAC rail just fine and since the screws are on the side I can see them and any witness marks I put on them through the vent holes.

Not as good as having it pinned, but it'll do for now.

Robb Jensen
08-10-06, 13:43
Use a Larue gas block. Dimple the bbl by drilling it about 1/16th deep and use Rocksett on the screws. I've done this on about 20 or so uppers and have yet to have one come back where it's moved. The Rocksett I have melts at 1800deg.

KevinB
08-10-06, 13:59
I have never run a gun with a set screw gasblock - after we had a gun become a single shot when it got banged up.

SHIVAN
08-11-06, 09:19
Since I was going to use a Noveske CQBR barrel, I'll just have him do the 17-4 gas block and pin job while it's there.

I may send some barrels to ADCO for pinning others though....

9DivDoc
08-11-06, 21:20
Shivan...Randall Rausch ...AR15Barrels.com

Is making his own....and they are lo pro.. look pretty sturdy and light.....

K.L. Davis
08-11-06, 22:30
one example? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=557)

SHIVAN
08-11-06, 22:59
one example? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=557)

:p :p

While you were linking I was buying....:cool: