PDA

View Full Version : We have this forum, let's use it!

ASH556
03-18-11, 10:07
It sucks that we petitioned, voted, and were granted this forum, and nobody even uses it. I think the reason we don't get instructors to come to GA much is because we don't have decent facilities. Maybe we don't have decent facilities because we don't ask for them. I'm going to send an e-mail to Nathan Deal today regarding this issue. Why do we have some of the best gun laws in the nation, and no decent, organized facilities at which to exercise our rights? However, the state isn't going to build a nice range just so I can come shoot at it by myself. Let's speak up! Let's form a group! Let's get something going other than shooting dirt clods @ the local WMA next to Bubba with his 30/06. Shoot, I'd even pay for a membership if there was somewhere decent to shoot. Creekside is decent, but it's 2.5 hrs away. There's got to be a way to get a decent outdoor range in the North Metro area.

Post here if you agree and/or have any input.
Anyone with land? I'm sure you could get guys to give you money for initial capital to get things rolling.

(Sorry if this seems like a rant, but it's retarted to have to drive 5 hrs for the closest training class, only to come home and have nowhere to practice what you've just learned. The apathy has got to end!)

karmapolice
03-18-11, 11:23
I agree whole heartedly with Josh/ASH556, there is something wrong living in a state with good firearm laws and lots of smart minded firearm people with no place to go shoot worth a damn. I'll be honest creekside is a good range but most the people that go there regularly are more of the arfcom variety, on top of being 2.5 hours away. I think that may be the biggest problem here is that most people are of the arfcom flavor, but on the other hand I know personally a good bit of sharp thinkers and shooters that live in the state and there has to be some on this forum as well.

It is kind of a thin line to walk as far as going and shooting with new people for both parties but I know it can be done successfully. Other regional areas/members have proven that on this very forum such as the Pacific North West guys/gals, Florida members, etc.

Even if we start out at an indoor range it would be good, maybe we could possibly rent out one of the indoor ranges a night a week or a couple nights a month and do some practice stuff like the Florida guys who also have their shit right.

Like I said I know there are good folks out there with a good mindset in Georgia even with all the arfocmer variety, and who knows maybe some of those can be saved by something like a Georgia shooting group.

MadcapMagician
03-21-11, 08:02
If you guys can find a place in North East Georgia I'd be all over it. I drive an hour and a half to Pickens County just to shoot on an outdoor range. All of the clubs in the area have waitlists that are 2 years long or are very restrictive on shots fired, targets, etc. I've looked into an outdoor range and there are two main barriers to entry.. Money for land and county commissioners. For being the gun-loving south, the amount of crap county commissioners put up about ranges is quite ridiculous.

Regarding instructors, they do come but the classes fill so fast that they hardly ever get posted. Just try to keep an ear out and jump on the opportunities as they present themselves. Keep an eye out on the South River Gun Club website for some and various other sites for others.

ASH556
03-21-11, 11:54
Does anyone have experience with Elberton Gun Club? They prices are very reasonable, they have spots available, and they are the same distance for me as South River. (1.5 hrs) Not ideal as Cherokee is literally 10 Min, but a $900 initiation fee, and 90 person wait list is killing me.

Everyday3
04-03-12, 15:24
It drives me nuts every time I take a class and get home and have now way of practicing. Its almost not worth it. Took a class over at south river this weekend was impressed with the live action pits way better than anything around me in alpharetta. its about 1.5hrs away but I may join so every time I take a class I dont feel like a tool. I mean damn were in the south were supposed to love guns just not have any were to shoot. Arrrr

gatorfan605
05-10-12, 20:28
I'd be in for some classes, but no one puts them on within an hour or two of me. We even have outdoor ranges.

Moshjath
06-21-12, 14:54
Has anyone tried leveraging the shooting community in the FT Benning area? I'm about to report there...

yashax
10-31-12, 14:34
Guys, I put together a public spreadsheet to get the group together.

If you are interested, just add your info to it. It is public and anyone can edit. I have already added my information.

Just visit the link below to get started.

Jake

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoQQXv5Ze7GOdExyZzY0MXRUdDlDLThEdFJjOHQ0Rmc#gid=0

ASH556
10-31-12, 14:40
I can appreciate what you're going for, but having my cell phone number published publicly doesn't seem like a great idea.

yashax
10-31-12, 14:42
I can appreciate what you're going for, but having my cell phone number published publicly doesn't seem like a great idea.

Of course, please feel free to share only information that you see fit. Only enough for use to contact each other. Email should be enough. I am thinking that we will create an email group and coordinate that way, after enough folks fill out the spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Jake

ASH556
10-31-12, 15:09
Ok, I'm in.

FlyingHunter
11-25-12, 16:41
Peach State Shooter checking in...

ndmiller
04-23-13, 21:15
Just got here a few weeks ago trying to find a decent indoor range (many) and outdoor as well. Also want to take a Carbine class with my new Noveske.

Noah

cwgibson
06-24-13, 20:02
Atlanta Range and Ordinance is an indoor range in Newnan that is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullittmcqueen
06-24-13, 21:40
Wow, I didn't know this forum existed. Augusta is woefully lacking in places to shoot as well. I do most of my shooting at pinetucky, but usually competitions only. It's not the kinda place you can get out and run drills. Otherwise, there's an indoor range but that's about it.

I've heard good things about the Elberton club. Very cheap to join and they have a big rifle range. A buddy and I have considered joining.

Outlander Systems
06-25-13, 22:32
Count me in.

I agree; Creekside is great, but on the weekends its like trying get on a ride at Six Flags.

If Kennesaw can build a multi-million dollar skate park, we should be able to get some sort of halfway decent range in the Metro area.

So ah, who do we need to lean on to make this happen?

Outlander Systems
06-25-13, 22:34
Just got here a few weeks ago trying to find a decent indoor range (many) and outdoor as well. Also want to take a Carbine class with my new Noveske.

Noah

GA Firing Line has a decent range.

If you're looking for a GOOD range, Creekside in Taylorsville is definitely worth the drive.

http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com/training.html

ndmiller
07-17-13, 21:21
Tried both GA Firing line (Pistol) and Creekside (Zero AR & AK). Both were just what I was looking for. Now I need a class for my AR or AK within 4 hours (Drive) so I can learn these platforms. Searched the training forums with nothing around us....

Noah

mtdawg169
07-18-13, 06:05
Tried both GA Firing line (Pistol) and Creekside (Zero AR & AK). Both were just what I was looking for. Now I need a class for my AR or AK within 4 hours (Drive) so I can learn these platforms. Searched the training forums with nothing around us....

Noah

Check the Calendar on the South River Gun Club website.

ASH556
07-18-13, 09:44

Noah

Hate to reference the place, but the AR15.com Georgia Hometown forum is really good for this kind of stuff. Erik Lund (USSA-1) hosts a lot of local classes and posts them there.

skt4271
12-20-13, 09:49
Curious why the hate fire arfcom members?

ASH556
12-20-13, 10:26
Curious why the hate fire arfcom members?
Not hate for the members, per se, but ARFCOM of late is full of dirt clod shooting window lickers.

lunchbox
12-20-13, 12:09
Don't get upset with me but there is range in Phenix City, AL just over river from Columbus/Ft Benning area. http://www.eastalabamagunclub.com/ They host competitions and every now and then classes, but other than that is a membership range. Have no exp with their classes. If you want to travel a little bit farther---Frank Procter at WayOfTheGun http://www.wayofthegun.us/ Is a great instructor (one of the best IMO) with private range. And the Arclight group here in Auburn (also private class range) isn't too bad themselves https://www.facebook.com/arclightgroup They only have FB page, and I know theres a lot that don't like FB so here's main instructor's bio https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/300936_284199544923810_1138562242_n.jpg And if you have taken class before can take same class as refresher for $50 (<<This!). Sorry for posting AL places in GA thread, just trying to give out options.

12-22-13, 14:54
I have been a member here for a while, but never posted. I would like to take some training classes as well. I recently received an email from redstatetactical.com about some rifle and handgun classes that are gonna be taught by Larry Vickers. As I recall, without pulling up the email, the courses offered are basic and advanced rifle and handgun in Phenix City, Alabama for sometime in May. I have not taken a class and am interested in this. Anyone have any experience with this group? Have heard nothing but great things about LV. I'm not affiliated with redstatetactical.

12-22-13, 15:26
Just checked on Larry vickers' training thread and the East Alabama Gun club is where this class is gonna be taught.

skt4271
12-23-13, 10:47
I don't mind driving 2 hrs for a good class, but out of state I know the wife won't go for that.

skt4271
10-12-14, 21:15
Any other traiNing going on?

10-13-14, 15:48
I think I saw a couple of classes by Frank Procter in Alabama coming up. Larry Vickers is having a class in Carthage, NC I think the first week of November. I haven't seen anything local to Ga. If you do, post it up. I'd be interested in going. Especially the basic level classes for both pistol and rifle.

lunchbox
10-13-14, 18:57
I think I saw a couple of classes by Frank Procter in Alabama coming up. Larry Vickers is having a class in Carthage, NC I think the first week of November. I haven't seen anything local to Ga. If you do, post it up. I'd be interested in going. Especially the basic level classes for both pistol and rifle.The only one of Franks classes that isn't full locally is four day class. http://aliastraining.com/frankproctor4-dayperformancepistolandcarbineclass-oct27-302014-eastabogaal.aspx
Frank Proctor 4-Day Performance Pistol & Carbine Class - Oct 27-30, 2014 - Eastaboga, AL
I really wanted to take Kyle Defoors class at Franks range, but didn't get signed up before it filled:(. So I think I'm going to take a Talon Defense low light carbine and pistol class in Nov., never trained with them before so hopefully their good instructors.