PDA

View Full Version : All plastic handguards the same?

philipeggo
03-18-11, 12:23
So before i go ahead and spend the 15 bucks on a set of CAR handguards i was curious. Are they all the same or does anyone build one thats noticably better than the others ,different texture,better fit,built in microwave, whatever ? I dont want MOE guards so please dont suggest them even though i know they are solid. Im pretty sure the answer to my question is no but i figured id ask.

Toyoland66
03-18-11, 12:48
Some are flimsier than others, some don't have heat shields (although those are typically airsoft knock offs)

Cav Arms is regarded as high quality, I haven't heard any complaints about their product.

Whootsinator
03-18-11, 12:55
I know you've stated you don't want MOE handguards, and I won't at all try to sway you from that, but could you tell us why? Did they not work with something you wanted to do, did you not like the feel, or is it just something like they didn't look good?

philipeggo
03-18-11, 13:01
I know you've stated you don't want MOE handguards, and I won't at all try to sway you from that, but could you tell us why? Did they not work with something you wanted to do, did you not like the feel, or is it just something like they didn't look good?

They look well built but its that for my purpose i realized i dont need the multiple attachment points. A light is about all i feel like adding. They do look kinda odd i think, but that isnt weighing into my decision as much as the fact that i only need the light and MAYBE some sort of grip later.Maybe not the best reason but to each his own eh ?

philipeggo
03-18-11, 13:02
Some are flimsier than others, some don't have heat shields (although those are typically airsoft knock offs)

Cav Arms is regarded as high quality, I haven't heard any complaints about their product.

Yea ive heard good things about the Cav arms stuff too. Thats prob what im getting i was just making sure that there wasnt a better mouse trap around.

ucrt
03-18-11, 13:05

I don't think they are all the same.
I've seen several different methods the upper and lower halves mate with each other, how the shields are held in place, whether the shields are single or double, diameters, etc.

This isn't taking into consideration what they are composed.

But maybe it's just me...

tgace
03-18-11, 13:07
If you have no real "hate" for the MOE, I'd go with them. You would then have the option to add stuff later.

.45fmjoe
03-18-11, 14:11
Like someone else said, some are flimsier than others. Some have heat shields, some do not. Some have dual heat shields.

Basically, when it comes to the AR-15 platform there isn't a single part that asshole manufacturers haven't tried to produce cheaper than how it should be made.

Iraqgunz
03-18-11, 15:01
Get some Bushmaster handguards, remove the aluminum shields and then get a pair of gloves. Take one in your hands and squeeze the crap out of it. See what happens.

I can recommend the MOE's and think you will like them.

Whootsinator
03-18-11, 15:04
Get some Bushmaster handguards, remove the aluminum shields and then get a pair of gloves. Take one in your hands and squeeze the crap out of it. See what happens.

I can recommend the MOE's and think you will like them.

To clarify, do you mean squeeze the heat shield or the plastic handguards?

Iraqgunz
03-18-11, 15:12
The handguards.

TOrrock
03-18-11, 15:12

The plastic....

TOrrock
03-18-11, 15:14
Colt handguards have a proper polymer, with heat shields, and if you want a more traditional look for your carbine, I'd try to snag a set of Colt's.

You should probably be able to grab some from people who install a rail system on their carbine.

Whootsinator
03-18-11, 15:17
The handguards.

The plastic....

That's what I thought, but I didn't think that was how it read.

Mac5.56
03-18-11, 16:00
I am personally a big fan of the MOE and have suggested it to several friends. The modular ability to function with Mount and Slot, and Magpul add ons without being a railed hand guard is awesome, but they also fit tighter then any standard M4 hand guard I have used!

Elessar
03-18-11, 16:11
I just installed my first MOE handguards yesterday. haven't used them but they seem pretty damn nice. Strong and robust and solid. Very impressive when you consider the cost, pretty much like everything else from Magpul.

03-18-11, 16:34
Be glad to sell you a set of Colt handguards. No need for them.

PRTrooper
03-19-11, 16:08
Just installed a set on my mid build with an IWC QD swivel socket and I'm very impressed with them. Very solid mounting setup. ;)