PDA

View Full Version : Ok, some may say I am silly - but I've been COMPACT-ed AGAIN - Beretta style :)

ShipWreck
03-18-11, 14:28
I had a shot at another Beretta 92 compact today (I bought one 2 days ago) - Everyone knows I am a 92 fanatic. I have 6 prior to today... I thought about it the past couple of days, and I decided to shift my deposit from the full rail Springfield TRP Operator 1911 to this compact 92FS...

I already have a 1911 Springfield Custom Shop 9mm Full Rail Operator (which is not a standard production Springfield, but essentially like a 9mm Professional with a full rail). I had been wanting the TRP version in 45 ACP - but I've been having second thoughts...

It sorta popped up outta no where after 2 years of looking, and it is a fairly expensive gun. After I pay for new sights and a trigger job, it was gonna be pushing $2k with the shipping price to send the gun off... I had been comparing all that to a chance at another Compact 92FS, which haven't been imported in over 10 years....

As the 92 platform is my all time fav, and the most comfortable gun in my hands... I shifted the money and got the Beretta.... Luckily, the shop let me do it... Also, I haven't been as "into" 1911s lately, because of my Beretta interests...

So, now I have 2 Beretta 92 compacts, and 7 different 92s total... Unless something else unforseen pops up (some other strange or new variant), this is probably the last 92 I'll get... I'm not a fan of the Inox models - I only like Berettas in black for some strange reason...

Here is a quick picture. When I get a chance, I'll take a group photo on my red background :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/double1.jpg

ShipWreck
03-18-11, 16:42
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/wheel-800wide.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/wheel3.jpg

Spiffums
03-18-11, 17:50
Ok Your Silly!!!

Great looking compact. The 92 is a classic gun now. Nothing else has the profile.

LRB45
03-18-11, 18:20
I've always had a fondness for the Beretta 92s!

LHS
03-19-11, 00:35
Nice. I was really tempted to get another 92 Compact when Bud's had them last month. I love the one I have, but it needs some serious work to fix the trigger job that was done prior to me buying it. Still, how many 92G Compacts does one find?

CLHC
03-19-11, 00:47
Nice! I see that one of the three on GA has been sold. Me like[y] very much!

Beat Trash
03-19-11, 12:04
Nice. Let us know how the compacts shoot in comparison to the full size 92fs's please.

I'm interested in one of the compacts also. I just don't want to buy one online without having seen and handled one first.

ShipWreck
03-19-11, 12:50
Nice. Let us know how the compacts shoot in comparison to the full size 92fs's please.

I'm interested in one of the compacts also. I just don't want to buy one online without having seen and handled one first.

No problem. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I hit the range...

Pistol Shooter
03-19-11, 13:28

+1

I love my Beretta 92FS's but I'd like to handle a compact before buying.

Congratulations Shipwreck, great looking Beretta!

RD62
03-19-11, 13:33
Great looking collection and congrats on the new purchase.

However, I think you need Beretta 12 step meetings or something! :D

I love a good Beretta too, but DAMN dude!

ShipWreck
03-19-11, 15:14
Great looking collection and congrats on the new purchase.

However, I think you need Beretta 12 step meetings or something! :D

I love a good Beretta too, but DAMN dude!

I think so :sarcastic:

LMT42
03-19-11, 20:11
this is probably the last 92 I'll get...

Spoken like a true junkie! It's time for an intervention, as you're clearly a sick man, and in need of professional help.

loupav
03-19-11, 20:18
Nothing wrong with that. I often wonder how many P2000's I'll end up with. Luckily my wallet doesn't let me buy anymore.

ShipWreck
03-31-11, 11:46
Well, I just got back from shooting the 2 compact 92s. These guns rock! I love the hogue grips and D springs..

Ya know, I get grief on other forums for liking the 92 platform so much - even more so than 1911s. I have owned a lot of guns over the years. My 92s are my fav. I have seven total, and I will probably own more in the future.

The 92s shot extremely well at all ranges, and even in DA mode (decocking after each shot). I shot 1 a tiny but better than the other, but each were fantastic. I do not regret buying 2 of the same model at all :)

So the Beretta haters can bite my butt :D:D

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/426/compactcombo1.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5782/compact99.jpg

Beat Trash
03-31-11, 21:54
How do these shoot compared to a full size 92fs as far as controllability?

They look nice. If the 92 series works for you, then screw the haters.

davebee456
04-01-11, 01:21
probably a dumb question but ill ask i anyway, will the full size 15 round magazines fit in this pistol?

and can a full length slide and barrel fit on this frame, I am just asking this because what if parts for this compact model dry up ?

I always wanted a beretta 92fs compact..I just thought the full size was a little big for a 9mm..

ShipWreck
04-01-11, 06:37
How do these shoot compared to a full size 92fs as far as controllability?

They look nice. If the 92 series works for you, then screw the haters.

They shoot VERY well. Not much difference. I shot both of the compacts on the same trip - so I didn't get to compare one head to head with one my my fullsize models. But, I was impressed at how they fired. And, I would venture to say that any extra recoil from the smaller size would be very, very tiny.

I will likely bring my fullsize 92FS carry gun and one of these compacts to the range and do a head to head in a month or so...

probably a dumb question but ill ask i anyway, will the full size 15 round magazines fit in this pistol?

and can a full length slide and barrel fit on this frame, I am just asking this because what if parts for this compact model dry up ?

I always wanted a beretta 92fs compact..I just thought the full size was a little big for a 9mm..

Even before this latest re-issue, there have still been parts floating around, if ya know where to look.

Yes, the 15 round mag will fit, but it isn't too comfortable in a 2 handed grip. The longer 20 round MDS mags actually work better, IMHO.

A fullsize upper SHOULD fit, as the dustcover is the same length. Only the slide/barre; and grip were cut down. You wouldn't be able to use a full length guiderod without a full length slide.

LHS
04-01-11, 10:33
A fullsize upper SHOULD fit, as the dustcover is the same length. Only the slide/barre; and grip were cut down. You wouldn't be able to use a full length guiderod without a full length slide.

A full-size upper doesn't fit quite right. Yes, it'll slide on, but there is a gap between the slide's recoil spring retaining pocket and the front of the dust cover. The first thing I tried when I got my compact was to slip my Elite slide on it. I haven't tried a standard 92FS slide though, so take it for what it's worth.

Yes, standard mags fit in the compact, but as Shipwreck mentioned, the 15-rounders aren't all that comfortable. 20-rounders are better.

Beat Trash
04-01-11, 10:50
ShipWreck you're killing me!

I'm really starting to feel the desire to get one of these compacts after your posts...

I sold off a 92D that I had for years but seldom shot. Replaced it with an Italian made 92fs. After about 6 months I was approached by an acquaintance with a US made 92fs that only had 30 rds through it. Box papers, ect for $250. Well... now I own two 92fs's. Then after reading a bit, I called Brownells and ordered some D model springs. Huge difference.

I really like guns the size of the Glock 19, the Sig 228. The 92fs compact is really starting to call to me.

ShipWreck
04-01-11, 11:02
A full-size upper doesn't fit quite right. Yes, it'll slide on, but there is a gap between the slide's recoil spring retaining pocket and the front of the dust cover. The first thing I tried when I got my compact was to slip my Elite slide on it. I haven't tried a standard 92FS slide though, so take it for what it's worth.

Yes, standard mags fit in the compact, but as Shipwreck mentioned, the 15-rounders aren't all that comfortable. 20-rounders are better.

Ok, that makes sense. There is a somewhat similar issue if you try to put a 90-Two or 92A1 slide onto a regular 92FS frame. It will work, but you get a cap with the spring showing.

I'll bet that the fullsize slide on the compact frame would still actually function, but I wouldn't do it.

Grips, guderods and recoil springs for the 92 compact are easy to find. And, mags are not hard to get either. Most other parts are interchangeable....

ShipWreck
04-01-11, 11:04
ShipWreck you're killing me!

I'm really starting to feel the desire to get one of these compacts after your posts...

I sold off a 92D that I had for years but seldom shot. Replaced it with an Italian made 92fs. After about 6 months I was approached by an acquaintance with a US made 92fs that only had 30 rds through it. Box papers, ect for $250. Well... now I own two 92fs's. Then after reading a bit, I called Brownells and ordered some D model springs. Huge difference.

I really like guns the size of the Glock 19, the Sig 228. The 92fs compact is really starting to call to me.

If you REALLY want one, ya better get one now...

They haven't been imported in over 10 years, and no one knows what the supply of these are going to be. There are rumors with stories, but no one knows.

Beretta made no mention of this at the Shotshow, and several have called Beretta directly (when the guns first showed up at Bud's)... No one at Beretta would state that there WERE new compacts being sold. They always denied it.

And, the website is not updated... So, if this will be a regular item for sale or if it is a real limited deal - no one knows...

That's sorta why I picked up 2.