PDA

View Full Version : AK-74 in Afghanistan 1979-1989

Slater
03-18-11, 17:10
Russia's involvement in Afghanistan in the 1980's is rapidly becoming ancient history. Evidently, the Russians thought that the AK-74 and it's 5.45mm bulet performed at least satisfactorily since they're still in primary service.

How did the AK-74 of 1979 differ from those in 1989? Were there any detail improvements implemented as a result of combat experience?

TOrrock
03-18-11, 17:15
The first AK-74's had a 45* gas block, but that was quickly switched to a 90* gas block to help avoid shaving bullet jackets, and it also made it easier for the gas port to be in a groove vs. a land.

The early AK-74's in Soviet service also used laminated wood buttstocks and handguards. Starting in the mid to late 80's the Soviets started switching to a plum colored polymer stock set with a steel heat shield in the handguard.

The AKS-74 with a side folding stock was introduced in the mid 80's as well.

7n6 ball ammo has pretty much remained unchanged since the introduction of the 5.45x39mm.

KBAR-04
03-18-11, 17:17
Very little change other than furniture. Synthetic furniture in plum colour was introduced around 1985 and magazines were also changed to this colour. This was changed to black in 1990 or so. The 5.45 was quite effective in Afghanistan.

fhpchris
03-18-11, 17:20
As far as I know (correct me guys!) The side rail changed during that time period.

The AK 100 series is more a mid 90s evolution. The polymer folding stock does not get ultra cold like the steel triangle folder does.

The AK47 barrels and Saiga/AK100 series are also not the same, but I do not think the AK74 is different during those periods.

kaltesherz
03-18-11, 18:13
As far as I know (correct me guys!) The side rail changed during that time period
The only AK-74's with rails were AK/AKS-74N's and they were only for use with night optics, like the 1PN58. They were pretty rare.

Furniture was the main variable as KBAR pointed out, the wood handguard switched from vented to non-vented right before they introduced the plum polymer version. There were many minor variations as well, like muzzle breaks, but only uber collectors would be able to tell the difference.

Here's an excellent resource:
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html

Moose-Knuckle
03-25-11, 03:35
There have been some recent articles written in a couple of gun rags (SGN & G&A's Complete Book of the AK-47) by Marco Vorobiev. Mr. Vorobiev is a former member of Spetsnaz and a veteran of Afghanistan. He has a lot experiance on the platform and it's performance in combat operations.

fhpchris
03-25-11, 04:45
The only AK-74's with rails were AK/AKS-74N's and they were only for use with night optics, like the 1PN58. They were pretty rare.

Furniture was the main variable as KBAR pointed out, the wood handguard switched from vented to non-vented right before they introduced the plum polymer version. There were many minor variations as well, like muzzle breaks, but only uber collectors would be able to tell the difference.

Here's an excellent resource:
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html

There were a couple of variations....

Russia had a few, Bulgaria had one, Germany had one....